1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I just picked up a Vickers in 8mm Mauser, trying to get it re-chambered in 7.62x54R. I'll be sending off my lock/feedblock to Bob Naess to have those modified to work with 7.62x54R, but he no longer works on barrels. I have a Finnish M1910 Maxim barrel coming, does anyone know anyone who still works on those to make them fit a Vickers? Trying to avoid just having a .303 barrel chamber reamed for 7.62x54R and having all the stuck case issues that comes with them. Thank you!.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
OMG. Don't mess with the 8mm feedblock / lock !!! buy an inexpensive ( relatively) 303 set and have those modified. the 8mm stuff is hard to find and EXPENSIVE. Heck I will trade you a 303 new set for your 8mm ones.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
MG08 is correct, do not modify an 8MM set it would be silly. It will be hard to find someone who does the Bob Naess Maxim barrel conversion, most people have a .303 barrel reamed to 7.62x54R and have good results except the extracted brass is double shouldered. You can also place a want to buy post on this forum as there are people who have spare Bob Naess 7.62x54R sets up I hear. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I have to agree with redroth and MG08 you should call Brian at BRP and get an inexpensive 303 feed block I am sure he would ship it Bob for you at your request.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Seems we all want to convert to something else. Im wanting to convert my vickers from 54r to .303! Mines semi and for as much as I shoot it not worth the hassle of cleaning the corrosive ammo. I wonder why more people don't convert to .308?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Don't mess with those 8mm parts! If you already have the 8mm feed block and extractor 308 would be a good conversion - all you would need is a barrel and spacer for the feed block. If you absolutely need to convert it to 54r just use a 303 feed block and extractor (it's really easy to do yourself - I can help). Unless you plan on reloading Boxer primed 54r brass just have a 303 barrel reamed for 54r and enjoy! I have thousands of rounds through mine and it's never been a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tracking, I will keep the 8mm pieces of my Vickers as is, the gun will probably outlive me and I will keep it stock after finding a complete 7.62x54R set

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I don't want to discourage you from the conversion, but a set of 303 feed block and lock will be easier to convert and fairly cheap. Folks here can help wit the conversion. those 8mm parts will come in handy. 308 conversion and all don't you know ?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don't want to discourage you from the conversion, but a set of 303 feed block and lock will be easier to convert and fairly cheap. Folks here can help wit the conversion. those 8mm parts will come in handy. 308 conversion and all don't you know ?
He is buying a 7.62x54R conversion kit with a .303 feed block milled for 7.62x54R, a .303 lock with 7.62x54R milled extractor and Gib, and a Bob Naess converted Maxim barrel machined to fit into a Vickers gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts