1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at 1919's and noticed some have theTrunnion and bottom plates are welded together. I am new to these and wanted to see if there were certain builders welding there's together.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
In the early days of 1919a4 semi building it was thought the welds were required. This was discontinued/ determined not to be needed a while ago. We see both styles available today. Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
I think most out there like this were either home builds or Ohio rapid fire guns and there were others as well. We are lucky they changed the ruling on that because a bunch of early parts were ruined due to the welding that some did on them.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
There are some builders who still do this, perhaps because their early approval letters dictated that. I've seen the large trunnion rivets welded in on guns by a couple of makers, even in recent production. One such maker rebuilt a transferable RIA 1917A1 for a customer and welded the trunnion rivets into the original RIA right plate, and also the rear top plate rivets. But welding is no longer necessary and I see no reason why anyone still does it, other than for their own convenience. An older built gun, well, that's how we used to have to do it, or so we all thought until our own member, 7.62x51, got ATF to issue a letter eliminating that requirement. (Thanks, Orin, once more!)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information I am trying hard to get my first 1919 semi and wanted to say everyone that I have had dealings with here on the sight have been very helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts