1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You can create a wanted to buy post for parts you may need. The 308 conversion requires bolt modified for 308, a different booster(30-06 booster has a hole diameter of .72”), and cartridge guides. Top cover may need one part changed. Your bolt should be a 30-06, unless switched for some reason. Then it would be stamped 7.62 meaning the slot was widened to accept the 308/7.62 rim. It’s a larger diameter than 30-06, you can try sliding a 308 down the bolt face. 30-06 bolts are desirable to some members like me, I shoot mostly 06. The bolt needs to be milled for the denial island and KMP sear, lock frame & barrel extension also. Several here do the mods quite well. They should see your post and provide contact info.
You also should inspect your parts for who made them. SG or Saginaw Steering Gear is the most common, RIA Rock Island Arsenal, W is Westinghouse, and BA is, hmmm I forget, Barely Acceptable or is it Buffalo Arms? Use the search feature for more information. Buffalo Arms barrels are easy to spot because of small ridges left from turning. Pictures of your kit would be appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can create a wanted to buy post for parts you may need. The 308 conversion requires bolt modified for 308, a different booster(30-06 booster has a hole diameter of .72”), and cartridge guides. Top cover may need one part changed. Your bolt should be a 30-06, unless switched for some reason. Then it would be stamped 7.62 meaning the slot was widened to accept the 308/7.62 rim. It’s a larger diameter than 30-06, you can try sliding a 308 down the bolt face. 30-06 bolts are desirable to some members like me, I shoot mostly 06. The bolt needs to be milled for the denial island and KMP sear, lock frame & barrel extension also. Several here do the mods quite well. They should see your post and provide contact info.
You also should inspect your parts for who made them. SG or Saginaw Steering Gear is the most common, RIA Rock Island Arsenal, W is W estinghouse, and BA is, hmmm I forget, Barely Acceptable or is it Buffalo Arms? Use the search feature for more information. Buffalo Arms barrels are easy to spot because of small ridges left from turning. Pictures of your kit would be appreciated.
Its a 30-06 kit, I may just keep it that way. Its a Saganaw Kit

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
Just let us know what you need. We have a very knowledgeable member base here and plenty of folks willing to help. I am happy to help with machining the internals and there are others here that do them as well. I assume you got one of the RTI kits that were all USGI in 30-06 and they are decent kits from what others here have reported so you should do fine with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trying to get everything together for my build...this is what I have ordered so far:
KMP side plate, trigger, sear and spring, pintle pad, barrel, rivet set. What hve I missed?

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
As long as your kit is complete you should be good to go. Have your internals machine then rivet, blast and parkerize it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts