1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
You opinion is noted. The weapon was brand new, I put 4, maybe 5 belts of the Romy 8 mm through it and it ran like a Swiss watch. I stopped shooting to deal with something else, with a belt in it and with a round in the chamber. I started firing...bang, bang, boom. The consensus was that a case head separated either on the second round. A least one bullet passed through through the case “ironing” the neck out to point a ruptured case extractor had nothing to grab, hence the finishing reamer being needed to remove it.... Both we’re running polymer coated cases. ...The only common factor was both times the case was polymer coated. I’m using up what I have and not buying anymore of it.
For some time now I have noticed a common way of thinking. If there is a problem and brass case is used, its the gun. Same problem and steel case is used, its the case. I have had case separations on steel and brass case. Only 2 in 40 years... thats a crazy low amount. I had 2.5 times that amount from the last magazine I bought through my Chauchat. 8mm Lebel Prvi and yes the barrel is going to back for some more work. There have been many out of batteries with the semi MG42s. Most seem to be on the first round after loading the belt. This is blamed on the charging handle slowing the bolt and not having it seat fully before the gun is fired. The main problem is that there is nothing to stop the hammer from hitting the firing pin if the bolt is not fully closed. This is why I bought Brian's new made bolt. I don't know if it fully prevents this but I believe it should cut down on this issue. However from what you are saying, that the second round had the case separation... that makes no sense to me from a Poly stand point. If the round that you left in had heated up, melted the coating and cooled... making the poly somewhat solid again... then maybe I could see it (but not really). However the second round would not have that issue and the barrel would have had time to cool down. This is the same issue that came up with the Lacquer coated stuff... rumor mill got going the cases were sticking from the lacquer. So they switch to Poly. Now people are blaming poly. However I am fairly convinced its not the coating doing this! There are many YT videos on it. If anything its really an issue with the extra carbon build up from the steel case not expanding as well.

The fact is that steel case has been used by several militaries starting before almost everyone here was born. They did not report these issues in general. That is not to say there are not bad steel cases out there, just like there are bad brass case out there. However the Russian's were not making millions of steel case in the cold war because they were ok with a common level of case separations due to the lacquer melting in the chamber.

I will also add that just because there was a case separation... which does happen with both steel and brass case... that should not result in an out of battery in a correctly designed firearm. Now I know these Semi MG42s are not designed as safely. However I think it makes a good case for spending the extra money for Brian's MG42 new made bolt carrier as it appears to block the hammer from swinging all the way home if the bolt carrier its not in the correct position forward.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wear shooting glasses for the OOB’s. Wear them all the time. Unless you are a pirate, you don’t need an eye patch.
A visit to church every once in a while probably wouldn’t hurt either. Just Use good common sense. FA weapons were not designed to fire SA. Being converted, they function in ways there were not engineered to function, which can, and do, create new problems. You have to blend fact with other party opinion and speculation and use your common sense to find solutions to a lot of the problems that arise. If you are shooting and the weapon starts feeling different or having a problem such as you having to start nudging the cocking handle to get it to close completely, stop shooting, examine the weapon and figure it out before shooting any more.
My only other piece of advice is a personal peeve of mine: shoot good ammo. I see guys all the time talking about shooting super cheap third world crap ammo in their $3-4-5,000 weapons. It makes no sense to me. I understand people like to shoot; I’m one of them. But I cannot see risking blowing up a good weapon, or even worse, losing an eye or some other body part, just so you can save 20 cents around on some 50 year old Pakistani or Turkish crap that might have originally been surplused out “for components only,” but but three middle-men later is now somehow “prime military surplus ammo at a price you haven’t seen in 20 years.” Cheap ammo is cheap for a reason. Respect your weapon and respect yourself - stay away from it. There are those that shoot it and swear but it, hang fires and all, and God bless them; they obviously have more money than I do to replace weapons and pay hospital bills than I do.
In my case I had no intention of shooting surplus in it. I reserve that for my Mauser's. I have had great experiences with Privi Partisan and Seller and Bellot ammunition. Was planning on staying with that for the 42'. And yes, I'd treat it like my AR. If it's having trouble I don't use the forward assist, I stop to see what the problem is. It's been a difficult build so far, but it has made me appreciate what I am doing and learn about its function and potential issues. I think that is a good way to learn to respect it and know what not to do. I'd hate to see all that work fly apart.
Now I have personally never heard of a case separation from Poly/lacquer cases I do know the gun repair shop my dad works at gets about 3 or 4 guns a year in with feed problems that end up being gunked up with poly/lacquer in the chambers that has to be scrubbed. Most common is Obviously the AR and AK. My dad is not a fan of running coated cases in these guns especially if you're just dumping ammo down range.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Bob, head spacing the Mg42 seems to be an unknown, many think any old barrel/ bolt combo will do. Would you explain how you headspace?
I don’t have a 42, yet. That hopefully will be in-hand by the end of summer. it is my understanding that matching bolts to barrels is something that is pretty important with the 42. I have been told that a bolt that works with one barrel might not work well with another, but that is not a headspace issue. When my 34 was built I had three barrels set up and headspaced for it. I have only used one. I was told to check them periodically with a go and a field gauge if shot it a lot (which it havn‘t). They have all been fitted and the barrel collar notch staked. The three barrels will last me the rest of my life, so I honestly don’t worry about it. I was told not to worry about a no-go gauge because of inherent slop in wwii production stuff. I assume - operative word again, assume, an mg42 would be addressed the same way.
When the build on the 42 starts, I do plan on getting another bolt from BRP because have both the mg1 parts and an mg3 conversion set that RTG was selling a few years pack.That way I can have bolt / barrel set ready for 8mm or 7.62.

I book marked a good tutorial on headspacing the 42 several years ago and it Is still up...check here:

·
Registered
608 Posts
For some time now I have noticed a common way of thinking. If there is a problem and brass case is used, its the gun. Same problem and steel case is used, its the case. I have had case separations on steel and brass case. Only 2 in 40 years... thats a crazy low amount. I had 2.5 times that amount from the last magazine I bought through my Chauchat. 8mm Lebel Prvi and yes the barrel is going to back for some more work. There have been many out of batteries with the semi MG42s. Most seem to be on the first round after loading the belt. This is blamed on the charging handle slowing the bolt and not having it seat fully before the gun is fired. The main problem is that there is nothing to stop the hammer from hitting the firing pin if the bolt is not fully closed. This is why I bought Brian's new made bolt. I don't know if it fully prevents this but I believe it should cut down on this issue. However from what you are saying, that the second round had the case separation... that makes no sense to me from a Poly stand point. If the round that you left in had heated up, melted the coating and cooled... making the poly somewhat solid again... then maybe I could see it (but not really). However the second round would not have that issue and the barrel would have had time to cool down. This is the same issue that came up with the Lacquer coated stuff... rumor mill got going the cases were sticking from the lacquer. So they switch to Poly. Now people are blaming poly. However I am fairly convinced its not the coating doing this! There are many YT videos on it. If anything its really an issue with the extra carbon build up from the steel case not expanding as well.

The fact is that steel case has been used by several militaries starting before almost everyone here was born. They did not report these issues in general. That is not to say there are not bad steel cases out there, just like there are bad brass case out there. However the Russian's were not making millions of steel case in the cold war because they were ok with a common level of case separations due to the lacquer melting in the chamber.

I will also add that just because there was a case separation... which does happen with both steel and brass case... that should not result in an out of battery in a correctly designed firearm. Now I know these Semi MG42s are not designed as safely. However I think it makes a good case for spending the extra money for Brian's MG42 new made bolt carrier as it appears to block the hammer from swinging all the way home if the bolt carrier its not in the correct position forward.
AH yes, but the Russians were not shooting steel cased ammo out of German MG42's or BRENS or all the other guns we now are forced to try steel with due to costs and availability of brass.

·
Registered
608 Posts
To have real fun get a franklin binary trigger. Got them in my 42/53 and mg03.
We can't have nice things like binary triggers here in CA, but I'd love to see vid of yours in action. With all the issues folks have with semi-42's I'm curious to hear your experience with them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have no idea how to post a video. If you want send me your email and I’ll send it to you. Use the brp semi bolt conversion. Wise lite conversion sucks. Stretch the belt links with a bolt a bit bigger then the 8mm round to keep it from jamming. My gun my 42 rarely has problems. The mg03 is another story.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts