4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one have a drawing for semi auto sear and trigger
i like to make every thing myself.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
...save small...big mistakes....

Suggest that you not try to re-invent the wheel. Go with the industry standard and buy the KMP designed trigger/sear. It has been used by more 1919 makers (usually the average guy...not OOW or Allied) than any other system. It works,is the best available and lasts longer than any other trigger/sear that is available. And KMP (TomT.) stands behind his product...no questions asked. He is probably the most respected Mfg. of parts/pieces for our Browning belt-fed addiction....errrr....HOBBY....LOL. Besides...if you get his parts...at least you have something to go by for a do-it-yourself bunch of parts. Good luck.....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The semi parts are easy to make, and you can find cad files online for the sear... so if you have the skills its not hard. Heck if you have a FA sear all you do is make the part the slides in the bolt thicker/wider so a FA sear simply drops out.. I'm sure a mig welder and a grinder would do a most acceptable job.

To be honest, I don't see $115 worth of stuff. maybe $20 in steel.. if that. My next build I will probably make a sear for the same reason as the OP.. just to say I did it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
finding a material that works and will not break under use without heat treating has proven hard for most that have tried it.

Toms stuff is great, but if you have the machines and know how give it a try.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
So A2 or some such is going to magically fail?

And even the 'commercial' sears have had issues with sear tangs breaking..

Tempering is not a huge deal... you guys are stuck on the fact that *everything* must be CNCd or in a computer controlled ISO / MILSPEC built or it will explode.... :rolleyes:

·
Legendary Donor
1,667 Posts
T&S's

ppharber, you seem bit upset at the price of the T&S kits. i have made thousands !! the mat is not the issue we started at 125 and have reduced our price to 115. we guarentee them forever, not a bad deal. an yes they do break on occasion. where it is in the heat treat oven ? we have never been able to identify some failures. just god i guess. but we strive to make the best and most dependable out there. so there is some value added to the product. and KMP will stand behind it till i die. thanks for listening. tomt:cool:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I bought one of your trigger/sear sets, so I am not concerned about its price. But next 1919 I put together I will make one.

Your product is great (although the xeroxed info sent with it was pretty sh1tty, very light, crooked.. like the paper jammed when printing it) but a few minutes with a caliper and I was all set.

If you are gonna build a 1919, and have a mill why not make a backup trigger/sear? I think that's why they call it a HOBBY. :)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Meyers,

Aside from the High Quality and Tomt standing behind his product, which I think is a more than fair price, I understand the desire to make things your self.. Go For It!!!... Most likely when your done, you may be one more guy telling the next guy down the road what a Good Deal the KMP trigger is...There are some forgiveing steels that will work with flame hardening with a torch, but thats not a good game plan for selling to other folks..

pfarber,

I think you may be a bit off on material costs..When it boils down to it, there's probibly only about $5 worth of steel.. Its all that time and things after that which runs the price up...Meyers, Maybe when you get done you can give us a little update how you made out and how long it took you to get a working trigger...Lou

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If it is your not seeing the work ,craftmanship and the knolage that is in each part maybe you ought to just build all the parts for your gun . I'd bet that after it is all said and done with you will be better off with TomT's part.....Good Experence you cannot get it for free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
...save small...big mistakes....

Suggest that you not try to re-invent the wheel. Go with the industry standard and buy the KMP designed trigger/sear. It has been used by more 1919 makers (usually the average guy...not OOW or Allied) than any other system. It works,is the best available and lasts longer than any other trigger/sear that is available. And KMP (TomT.) stands behind his product...no questions asked. He is probably the most respected Mfg. of parts/pieces for our Browning belt-fed addiction....errrr....HOBBY....LOL. Besides...if you get his parts...at least you have something to go by for a do-it-yourself bunch of parts. Good luck.....
I am old to the forum but don't know this new look. I need HELP finding a couple of backup semi-sears for my three browning semis I built years ago. Two were cut early in 2005 for a "fatter" sear" It does not fit the KMP slot. The OOW sears now sold off to APEX fit tight in KMP bolt cuts(we can get new KMP sears fortunately) (and those OOW don't even fit my cousins OOW built gun!) but what I cant seem to get are any older sears with those side slots bigger than KMP type. Any help? Where are the older "fat" sears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts