1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came into a 1919a4 kit recently. Haven't gotten around to starting the build yet. Wanted to get some information first. Would it be possible to keep the parts in their original form and just swap out the FA trigger for a SA trigger but leave the original sear? Theoretically it should function as a semi only considering the trigger itself no longer has the sloped mating surface with which to pull the sear back down after firing once and cycling. Should just pull the spring loaded trigger bar forward. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried this before I go putting stuff together.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
You are about to catch some major heat around here and be accused of being an ATF agent or law enforcement troll.

BLUF: You have to do ALL the semi mods (thicker sideplate, shave internals and semi trigger) or you are are building a machine gun. Theres NO way around this unless you are a CL7 manufacturer.

Simple answer to your question....No. Not legally. Dont even flirt with the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are about to catch some major heat around here and be accused of being an ATF agent or law enforcement troll.

BLUF: You have to do ALL the semi mods (thicker sideplate, shave internals and semi trigger) or you are are building a machine gun. Theres NO way around this unless you are a CL7 manufacturer.

Simple answer to your question....No. Not legally. Dont even flirt with the issue.
Honestly didn't think about it like that, but thanks for the heads up. Yeah this is my first build and someone recommended this site to me to get some more info. Was genuinely just curious if this was a viable route to take, but I see your point. Guess I'll have to send out the bolt and all the internals to get modified then. Don't wanna potentially get into trouble with any alphabet boys.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Honestly didn't think about it like that, but thanks for the heads up. Yeah this is my first build and someone recommended this site to me to get some more info. Was genuinely just curious if this was a viable route to take, but I see your point. Guess I'll have to send out the bolt and all the internals to get modified then. Don't wanna potentially get into trouble with any alphabet boys.
There are several guys here who offer the milling services. I dont know who offers the thicker, semi auto approved sideplates anymore but they aren't that expensive. Like many guys here, I sent my internals out and I built the box myself. That was back in the days when 80% plates were still abundant. Bolt milling aside, these are really easy builds and a great way to get into the hobby.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Heck of a first post bud, listen to these guys and you'll stay out of trouble. And welcome to the board, absolutely a great bunch of helpful individuals!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heck of a first post bud, listen to these guys and you'll stay out of trouble. And welcome to the board, absolutely a great bunch of helpful individuals!
I know, figured I'd at least ask before I go modifying anything. I'm the type of person that prefers to keep things as original as possible and this is my first parts kit. Wanted to see if there was a way to make it semi auto without having to change/modify a whole lot of the original parts. Now I know though so good thing I asked before I even started building anything.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
If you haven't bought any semi stuff yet...send it to Greaser...you'll have a running gun back in short order.

Do some research here and you'll see His work.....just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
To add to this conversation it is critical that you machine the sear slot on the bolt first BEFORE cutting the clearance for the denial island or you just broke the law.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you haven't bought any semi stuff yet...send it to Greaser...you'll have a running gun back in short order.

Do some research here and you'll see His work.....just a thought.
I'll probably send the bolt and internals out to get machined, but I want to build the actual receiver myself. Gotta check around for a side plate.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
kmp makes a 70% plate
Halo makes 100% plates with perhaps your choice of engraving as far as "makers marks" Saginaw ,Rock Island BA etc. iirc.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
I'll probably send the bolt and internals out to get machined, but I want to build the actual receiver myself. Gotta check around for a side plate.
If you need help having the internals done you can send them to me or Greaser here as we both do them but make sure you have your semi trigger and sear in hand first as you will have to send the sear along with the internals because they vary dimensionally and we both machine the bolts to fir the sears for a nice tight fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts