1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
I have a Bren Mk2 chambered in .303 british.

I wish to have it converted to .308, besides the bbl that needs to be converted, will the bolt or any other part need mods as well?

Is there any one that does the conversion?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Conversion consists of a barrel, bolt, and magazine. Rhodesian/South African BREN barrels were sold by Ohio Ordnance Works about ten years ago. ZB39 magazines were sold by Apex. BREN 8mm/308 bolts were available on eGhey.

·
11,527 Posts
i think in the near future i will be asking some of the same questions. i think i have all the correct parts to make my pre may a 54r shooter, but right now there is just a box of parts hanging out.

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
I am not sure how much they vary but I have locking wedges that are all engraved for 7.62x51 does anyone have any experience with them? I have not measured them for sizes yet and I have no plans of doing a 308 or 54r Bren but I was certainly curious about them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard that Pirate made 54r Brens back in the day. He had a reamer to convert the BBL. The mag held about 10 rounds which was doable. Not sure if the bolt needed mods in any way but I'm open to a 54r conversion if it is easier

·
Registered
307 Posts
I bought ZB-39 mags when nobody wanted them, the .308 South African barrels when I believe Sarco was selling them a couple years ago as well as the 8mm/.308 extractors from DSA. I believe DSA may still have the extractors listed for sale.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I heard that Pirate made 54r Brens back in the day. He had a reamer to convert the BBL. The mag held about 10 rounds which was doable. Not sure if the bolt needed mods in any way but I'm open to a 54r conversion if it is easier
I've given up on 54R Brens. Tried it with mine for more than 2 years. Could NEVER get the headspacing correct. The result was BOOM! I've launched several magazines off the top and even blown up my bolt and carrier group. It was very finicky. Some barrels worked with some ammo, but changing up the mix was always risky. In the end, it just didn't make any sense to keep fiddling with it. (A belief shared by Len Savage - the builder of my Bren). He said, go .308 and you won't have any trouble. He was right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts