1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own two semis, a M2HB I bought from TNW in 2000, and a 1919A4 with spade grips I bought from TNW in 2006. The 1919 is a full auto Saginaw Gear Israeli conversion post-86 dealer sample that I sent to TNW (minus much of right side plate) for conversion when I gave up my Class 2 tax stamp back then. I have fired the M2HB years ago. I have never fired the 1919. I have read much of the old posts about TNW versus KMP. The consensus appears to be the KMP is a better design. I hope the knowledgeable among you can advise me, please. My questions are:
1. Have any of you converted a TNW 1919 to KMP? If so, did it work well?
2. Where the Israeli 7.62 right rear cartridge stop would be, my TNW 1919 right side plate has a piece of round steel bar about 1/2" diameter sticking out with about half of the diameter milled away to create a half round with a flat "L" surface. Is this TNW's version of a 7.62 stop?
3. Has any of you converted a TNW M2HB to KMP? If so, did it work well?
Thank you in advance for any helpful information you can provide.
- Chris Ewens, Castella, CA

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
First off, Welcome to the forum. 1) Yes 2) must be I haven't seen that. 3) Yes

Now my question to you would be have you shot these guns as they are, and do they work OK ? If they work I would leave them alone. If you are having a problem or they are broke than I would address them. I personally do not use KMP but a similar but different design. KMP is good but I prefer a different trigger.
I would not change just to change it would be a wast of money in my opinion.

Greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, Welcome to the forum. 1) Yes 2) must be I haven't seen that. 3) Yes

Now my question to you would be have you shot these guns as they are, and do they work OK ? If they work I would leave them alone. If you are having a problem or they are broke than I would address them. I personally do not use KMP but a similar but different design. KMP is good but I prefer a different trigger.
I would not change just to change it would be a wast of money in my opinion.

Greg
Thank you for the prompt reply. I will definitely shoot both before considering altering them. I just mounted my new, never used TNW link loading machine to my bench and I am itching to use it. I will take a picture of the odd looking TNW cartridge stop and post it here. It looks nothing like the Israeli version, but the dimensions seem to line up as a stop.

My TNW 1919 spade grips pull up on the original trigger with a linkage that has a pin and cotter pin arrangement. It seems a bit hokey at first look. Any thoughts on the other spade grips available out there? I will shoot it before making judgement, just wondering if there is a good or bad history regarding the TNW spade grips.

I watched your headspace video. Very good information. Much easier outside the receiver, especially with the Israeli barrel notches. Mine has the original oval barrel lock spring, which I am changing to the Israeli spring. Among my 7.62 ammo supply, I have a bunch of the 1970's Syrian corrosive berdan ball that was sold in the late 80s/early 90s. I remember it was a touch too long case length and was not recommended for bolt actions. If I remember right, I had to go two notches out with it to get the same headspace as one notch for spec 7.62 cases. Just some trivia there.

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
As GBYENKO said if it ain't broke don't fix it so I would certainly try them out first before deciding anything. I have heard mixed reviews on the TNW stuff but if they work then just leave them alone and enjoy them. I do not use the KMP design either and prefer a double denial island but that is just my preference, to each his own. The spades were pretty much the standard back then and the same design used by allied armament and they work fine for what they are. There are some new ones about to be made in a few months so keep your eyes on the board as they will be released here first.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The TNW spades may not look the best but they work really well on the semi-auto 1919a4's. They pull straight up which is how the 1919 trigger activates. Some semi need more trigger travel than the full auto and this design works really well for them compared to the design that pushes the trigger rearward.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As GBYENKO said if it ain't broke don't fix it so I would certainly try them out first before deciding anything. I have heard mixed reviews on the TNW stuff but if they work then just leave them alone and enjoy them. I do not use the KMP design either and prefer a double denial island but that is just my preference, to each his own. The spades were pretty much the standard back then and the same design used by allied armament and they work fine for what they are. There are some new ones about to be made in a few months so keep your eyes on the board as they will be released here first.
Thank you for responding. I read the past discussions about the TNW design and how the top of the trigger rides and rubs under the bolt. The impression I got was that many believed it to be an inferior design. But as you both have commented, I will put some rounds through my 1919 before I judge it. Many TNW owners over the years have chimed in on the forum that they are happy with the performance. My number one priority with all my firearms is reliability. Above all else, it has to be reliable in all environments. The full auto 1919 certainly fulfilled that if the operator knew how to headspace and time, and lube properly.

I will check out the spade grips when they come out. I had a post-86 dealer sample full auto M2HB as well back then, and realized I could shoot a semi with the two thumbs on the spade nearly as fast as my full auto. Hopefully I can chug along on the 1919 spade grips in a similar fashion. Can you believe my 1919 was an unfired safe queen for 15 years? Time flies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The TNW spades may not look the best but they work really well on the semi-auto 1919a4's. They pull straight up which is how the 1919 trigger activates. Some semi need more trigger travel than the full auto and this design works really well for them compared to the design that pushes the trigger rearward.
I read the posts about the problems with the other design with the rubber bushing not pushing up properly. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm just as eager to try the TNW link loader setup as I am the 1919!

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
The linkers they made were quite nice and I am sure you will enjoy it. I wish I had bought one back in the day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a picture of the TNW 7.62 Right Rear Cartridge Stop. They installed it when they built my semi 1919 in 2006. Looks nothing like the Israeli version.
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The linkers they made were quite nice and I am sure you will enjoy it. I wish I had bought one back in the day.
Back when I bought it, either 2000 when I bought the M2HB or 2006 when I bought the 1919, the TNW price was around $300 if I remember right. It was pricey, but once you see it, you see the large amount of labor and materials that went into building it. If you know of anyone who needs a copy of the original manual, I would be willing to mail them a copy. From what I read, it seems many of them lost the manual when resold.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Here is a picture of the TNW 7.62 Right Rear Cartridge Stop. They installed it when they built my semi 1919 in 2006. Looks nothing like the Israeli version.
View attachment 111206
That is different, but as long as it work I wouldn't screw with it.
The first 1919a4 I ever had was one I bought from TNW put somewhere near 10,000 rounds through it with no issues. When I first fired it I had some feeding problems once I learned to run it dripping wet and shot it a bit it ran like a sewing machine. I only just sold it when prices went through the roof, I've got 3 others that I've built myself and a 1917 so no reason to keep it.

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Thanks for posting the picture of the RR stop I had forgotten how goofy those looked. If it works just enjoy it as mentioned and so you know those linkers are going for a whole lot more than 300 today and yes they were well made.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is different, but as long as it work I wouldn't screw with it.
The first 1919a4 I ever had was one I bought from TNW put somewhere near 10,000 rounds through it with no issues. When I first fired it I had some feeding problems once I learned to run it dripping wet and shot it a bit it ran like a sewing machine. I only just sold it when prices went through the roof, I've got 3 others that I've built myself and a 1917 so no reason to keep it.
The stop spacing appears to be the same as the Israeli version. Just a different way of achieving it.

I'm using Slip 2000 lubricant. It is the cat's meow for lubing any automatic actions. It is a bit pricey, but a little bit goes a long way. Incredible friction coefficient. AR15s can run thousands of rounds without cleaning using it, which says much. Yes, I agree, while the 1919 is wearing in, liberal with the lube. (One of the rare times I am liberal.)

I made the mistake of telling my wife that there is a semi M2HB with accessories for sale for $20,000. She immediately said, "So you could sell YOURS for $20,000?" I replied that it has not sold yet, so no guarantees the price is realistic. Then I distracted her by changing the subject...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for posting the picture of the RR stop I had forgotten how goofy those looked. If it works just enjoy it as mentioned and so you know those linkers are going for a whole lot more than 300 today and yes they were well made.
When I first saw it, I thought, what is that thing sticking out there? The 1919 was originally an original full auto imported as a post-86 sales sample that had the Israeli stop riveted to the right side plate. This must have been TNW's solution to missing right side plate parts in Israeli parts sets.

The linker looks like it can last through many rounds. Steel parts, quality bearings. I'll post how it worked after I load some.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a scanned copy of the 1999 TNW ad for the 1919 semis. I found it in my papers from when I bought my M2HB in 2000.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the other side of the 1999 TNW ad, showing the M2HB ad. It also shows the crank-operated link loader they sold back then.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That crank operated linker looks super cool.
I just mounted mine on my workbench. I'll post an update after I link some 7.62 in Israeli links for my 1919. Past comments on them state they are reliable. Only $350!

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
I just mounted mine on my workbench. I'll post an update after I link some 7.62 in Israeli links for my 1919. Past comments on them state they are reliable. Only $350!
You will love it and today that 350.00 is the cost of a 20 rd plate linker!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts