1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an allied armament semi side plate at a gunshow, was this based off of the KMP design? I compared the plate measurements to a blueprint posted by beltfed shooters and it is different... can anyone shed some light on this? thanks... I am hesitant to use the plate for a build unless I know it is compatible with KMP machined internals... thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
show us a pic of the denial islands to be sure. Lots and lots of builders used the same islands.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
KMP made Allied Armament's plates on a variance. I have had a pile come through here to be built. They use the KMP denial island.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
That denial island has been around forever, same as Ohio Rapid Fire and many other makers used, and some still do. It's on standard Halo plates too. Don't know who came up with it first, but it was used by most every plate maker except for those companies that had a proprietary design for their own builds, like U.S. Ordnance, TNW, Ohio Ordnance, Black Bear, etc. Oh, and there is that Rogue Island Arsenal place that uses a proprietary design too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Denial island

Why is the denial island so wide making it necessary to machine the barrel extension & lock frame? These parts don't seem to have anything to do with the difference between full and semi auto fire.
Bob

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
All semi designs I have seen require that all three major internal components- bolt, barrel extension and lock frame- have some requirement to clear a denial island. I understand that the DLO system, which was on the market many years ago, was different in that regard, but I have not seen it and don't know what their system looked like. That's a different discussion. But the wide island you refer to sounds like the common standard we have discussed, used by KMP, Halo, and former suppliers like T&S and ORF, Dave's 100 etc. Several others used it too, but those are the major players. There is probably not enough business left for anyone to compete, in great number, with KMP and Halo. At least the companies I mention, current and former, were all first class operations and great to work with. There are others from the past who either I didn't engage with or who did not live up to business practice or product quality standards. The plate you have from Allied may be KMP made, but they also used other suppliers, including Halo, at different times.

·
Legendary Donor
1,683 Posts
allied plates not KMP.

we made some sears, and some .50 plates for allied. but never a 1919.
just for the record, so it is someone else s
by the way, don't buy the sears! we didn't heat treat them. i don't know if allied did either. i sort of doubt it.the .50 plates were fine .
thanks. tomt.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
we made some sears, and some .50 plates for allied. but never a 1919.
just for the record, so it is someone else s
by the way, don't buy the sears! we didn't heat treat them. i don't know if allied did either. i sort of doubt it.the .50 plates were fine .
thanks. tomt.
Tom, I've heard April runs the place :)

You should ask her.

She's a honey, BTW

Karl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts