1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have one, would like to trade 1919 and all accesories. Any input would be great. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
68 Posts
Contrary to popular opinion from the swamp, the Serbu uses the same Lothar Walthers match grade barrel from Germany as the State Arms rifle. Gun Test Magazine (rated Serbu a best buy) managed to get 1.3" groups at 300 yds with the Serbu (A-Max handloads, of course), if you need better than .433 MOA keep looking but be prepared to spend lots more $$$. State Arms makes a great gun but like most of the others you'll end up lugging 30-45 pounds of gun around compared to the 22# of the Serbu (17# for the Serbu carbine). Not a problem if you're shooting 15 feet from your car but worth considering if you're hauling gun, ammo and accessories a ways. Looks will play a role in your choice and if you're into guns that should have wooden stocks then State Arms wins hands down. As a side note, don't be dollar wise on the rifle purchase and penny foolish on the scope selection. There are only a few scopes out there up to the task of being mounted on the 50, Nightforce NXS appears to be the most popular, but that kind of quality will run about $1300. I think it's worth it.
Ken

·
Registered
81 Posts
belt fed frog said:
get a State Arms far more accurate for the same amount of money
SA is match grade gun
Serbu is is a blaster only
I have found this not to be the case. I can consistantly get accurate groups with my handloads in my Serbu.

As gunsmith/.50 cal ammo production manager at Summit Ammo, 1-877-726-4345, I had the pleasure of working with MANY types of .50 bmg weapons before I purchased the Serbu. It really has the best bang for the buck!

Balming

·
BeltFed GURU
4,333 Posts
guys i am not saying the Serbu is a POS but that dog don`t hunt at 1000 yards no Serbu has ever placed in FCSA competition and there are a few design issues i have with Mark`s design 1) no provision for ventng gas from pierced/ruptured primers it vents against the firing pin and turns it into a snake shape meaning a new firing pin and some other retaining pins need replacment and 2) the forearm shroud is welded on so you can only grip the barrel by the end to remove it (not too conducive making a good barrel change you run the risk of torqueing the barrel ) a 50 barrel is only at its best accuracy for a max of 3000 rounds then it starts to fall off rapidly with a larger agg group size and random flyers

out to 600 yards a good gun farther than that it is a blaster

·
Registered
68 Posts
belt fed frog said:
guys i am not saying the Serbu is a POS but that dog don`t hunt at 1000 yards
Your logic may be sound but I'm thinking it's a moot point, as probably 90% of us with 50's will never even have a chance to shoot on a 1000 yd. range, much less ever see one. They may be plentiful west of the Mississippi but finding a place to wring out a 50 east of there ain't so easy. Nevertheless, most 50's are bought by guys who are happy to just shoot it at 300 yds and less. I'm assuming mjlynch71 is just looking for a good 50 plinker and not a competition rifle as he mentioned Serbu and not McMillan or one of the other high end rifles. As stated above, if he's looking for better than 1/2" MOA with handloads he should be looking elsewhere.
I find the barrel change to be a moot point also to anyone who isn't shooting competition. Most guys aren't reloading 50's so ammo selection consist of Talon reloads for the most part. At $1.10 -$1.50 a round none of them will ever spend $3,300-$4500 in ammo and wear out a barrel. If by chance a barrel swap was necessary 99% of shooters aren't set-up to do it anyway so why not just send the rifle back to the manufacturer and let them do it? Serbu's always backed his work so let him do the barrel swap, he's set up for that kind of work.
Not knocking your logic, frog, just think you're leaning towards competition too much instead of the plinking most 50's end up doing. Either way, with both guns using the same barrel mjlynch71 should be happy no matter which rifle he ends up with. I leaned towards a State Arms myself when I first got interested in 50's but the death of the owner and uncertainty of the future of the company at that time sent me over to Serbu. Nice to see State Arms is in good hands now with a bright future ahead of them.
Ken

·
BeltFed GURU
4,333 Posts
kwilal
i will have to agree with you on the points you bring up Mark does make a good gun for the normal shooter who wants to plink and destroy stuff and will probly never put 3K rnds down the tube

i started in 50`s back when there were only two actions avalible and that were DOD certified, Klause was both a mentor and friend of mine i own a two digit M series action that has seen over 40,000 rounds thru it and several dozen barrels ,i lost count of how many scopes it destroyed or i had to abandon over the years ,i have been a 50 shooter for more than a generation more than that i cannot reveal

so yes i am probly jaded when it comes to 50 cal single shot rifles ,i own three diffrent ones and i have been smithing my own 50`s from the start and still do to this day

i miss Klause it would be black ice that got him bringing a load of new stocks back to the shop, i know for a fact he would rather have gone hunting in alaska , but Larry has kept up the quality of Klause`s designs as a good apprentice should when the master dies, State Arms is still one of the best builders out there all you have to do is look at the proformance at Alliance NB match to see that and Alliance is a tough shoot even for the best.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't shoot my early BFG (#15) in any competitions, it's got way more than 3K rounds down the tube, but still shoots 70% pretty well::)

Seems to me a Serbu did win Hunter at a PA match a few years ago... new shooter too... was a feature in one of the VHPs IIRC..

True, it's not likely to win any other classes... but that's not really it's 'mission'!

Lightweight and Fun gun!... just bought another myself! (#1515) :D
Looking forward to their semi-auto too!

//Ben

belt fed frog said:
guys i am not saying the Serbu is a POS but that dog don`t hunt at 1000 yards no Serbu has ever placed in FCSA competition and there are a few design issues i have with Mark`s design 1) no provision for ventng gas from pierced/ruptured primers it vents against the firing pin and turns it into a snake shape meaning a new firing pin and some other retaining pins need replacment and 2) the forearm shroud is welded on so you can only grip the barrel by the end to remove it (not too conducive making a good barrel change you run the risk of torqueing the barrel ) a 50 barrel is only at its best accuracy for a max of 3000 rounds then it starts to fall off rapidly with a larger agg group size and random flyers

out to 600 yards a good gun farther than that it is a blaster

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've got a 29" Serbu with about 650 rounds of Talon through it and just started on my third $200 Bushnell scope; I've never shot it past 300 yards. It does great for the plinking I do.

I've also got an 18" Ultralite 50 on a DPMS single shot lower and Yankee Hill Machine open sights and love the gun for short range plinking; although the blast from the brake on the 18" barrel scares off a few people, I'm used to it.

You aren't going to go wrong with either rifle for plinking. I can't speak to the others since I haven't shot them.

YMMV

Greg

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.50 bmg plinker

Yes I am looking to trade my 1919 with everything for a plinker .50 bmg, not a competation rifle as the ranges in Iowa are about 300 yards. Thanks

·
BeltFed GURU
4,333 Posts
mjlynch71
then a Serbu is for you, one suggestion try a Super Sniper brand scope from www.riflescopes.com at $299 a good deal and lifetime warranty we have discovered that you might brake it once but after it is fixed it will last , the bushnell 3200 and 4200 eleite seem to do well also at your ranges you dont need to drop $1300 on a Night Force or a Leupold MK4 and the US optics would cost more than the rifle wear ear plugs and muffs when shooting

good luck and good shooting :D

MK bro PA was a 600 yard comp and it only happened once many of us are waiting to see what the Serbu semi 50 will do, the proposed design is superior to the Barrett M82/M107 maybe we will see a contender semi auto it would be cool

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I have to ask as I don't see much about the Ferret 50 made by Spider Firearms. Has anyone had any experience with one or heard any pro's and con's one the rifle? Kinda late to ask since I already purchased one, but it never hurts to know any scoop one a product, be it opinion, rumor, or fact :)

·
BeltFed GURU
4,333 Posts
brassmagnet
you bought a great rifle from Dave at Spyder, what chamber did you go for ?
the Ferrets are doing very well at competetions we have so many new shooter using them they are still sorting out the nesscary match loads to really run for the prizes , Dave and i are friends and while i do not own a Ferret i know that the quality is above reproch ,i know for a fact that he found one trunnion in a batch that had a void in it so he tossed the entire batch of finished parts and the left over stock material (and that cost MONEY). you know that he supports his rifles so if you have a question call him he will get back to ya real quick,
bet you didn`t know that the muzzle brake is manufactured by State Arms , Dave is a man of great integrety he would rather buy them than steal the design. i have been teasing him of late when the rifle for his daughter will be ready a pink mini ferret in 17 mach 2 , mini me 50 LOL she is just crawling now . the really nice thing about a Ferret is it is set up for easy barrel change out so if you start out with a mil chamber you can get a hybrid ,match or bore rider chambered barrel and swap it out your self

Mr Kobota already knows this but it is worth mentioning to all intrested in 50 single shot rifles that the best accuracy is only achived by reloading, that no two rifles are the same even from the same builder and batch ,they are like fingerprints what shoots great in one will not hit the broad side of the barn in another so to speak ,and reloading 50 is very diffrent than smaller calibers small changes make BIG diffrences

shoot well and enjoy

·
Registered
68 Posts
belt fed frog said:
i miss Klause it would be black ice that got him bringing a load of new stocks back to the shop, i know for a fact he would rather have gone hunting in alaska...
I remember the day like it was yesterday, about ripped the heart out of every guy over at biggerhammer, what a shame. At least the legend lives on. Hey frog, with all that 50 shooting, quite a bit of it before muzzle brakes were perfected, have you suffered any health effects? Detached retinas? Hearing problems? Shoulder problems? Just curious as to whether the 50 has beat you up any.
Ken

·
BeltFed GURU
4,333 Posts
WHAT I CANT HEAR YA :p yea my hearing has suffered i have about a 40% loss in one ear and 20% in the other thats why i say plugs and muffs, as for muzzle breaks i have always made my own i started out with a clamp on M106 arty type brake , Klauses ported barrels work very well, i remember his can experments and his smoker slugs as for getting beat up by a 50 i built my own stock out of milled aluminum , stainless and matte finish lucite a close copy of the AMAC 5100 stock which i integrated a spirit level and mounted a BAR pod ,the butt pad was a tripple mag pad total weight with a slightly modded M2 HB 45" barrel and scope was 37 lbs i needed the adjustability due to the nature of my work and the some times strange positions i had to shoot from but i get beat up worse by my REM 1100 12 GA or my Ruger WIN .458 and if i dont hurt i havent had fun shooting :D
eyes well at my age they start to go a bit i can`t read a book at less than arms lenght but i can still pick out a hawk among the buzzards at over a half a mile i need glasses but so many gun so little money :D

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
belt fed frog - I ordered the 29"SS in hybrid match chamber. I don't plan on shooting competitiion, so this seemed to be a universal type chamber for many ammo loadings, both mil-surp and reload. I will also be shooting my latest build of an M3HB, so cheaper ammo will be used a lot. I just wanted to have a nice looking well made shoulder fired model, and Dave's product looked pretty good to me. He treated me pretty well, and although the time span was a little longer than anticipated from start to shipping, I'm quite happy with our dealings. Your opinion about Dave and the rest of your information just made me a little more happy :) Thanks

·
BeltFed GURU
4,333 Posts
brassmagnet
the hybrid chamber is doing very well in comp because it will take regular and bore rider slugs when you start reloading set the slugs back from the lands about .050 this will give you good accuracy , take one case that is once fired in your rifle punch the primer and size only the neck then expand it enough so a slug fits tight but will slide in as you chamber it this will be your COL case when ever you change slugs AP,M33 use this case to find the setback measure and then adjust your seating die so COL is .050 less oh make sure you resized all slugs you shoot in the Ferret i suggest a .5095 slug die and Imperial sizeing wax ,what brand of press you gonna get ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts