1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Man, I hate this time of year. My knob creek fund has enough in it to buy one of these... Or one of those 1919 kits... Or ....

Or, I could go to the creek in a few months :(

·
Registered
131 Posts
Serbu RN-50

Well... after reading about Mark's RN50, I decided I was intrigued enough to order one... (875.00 intro price)

The rifle is shipped in a padded hard case, without a buttstock or bipod, though I believe those items can be ordered as accessories.

I have a lot of AR spare parts, so I attached an A2 buffertube and old POF skelentonized aluminum stock that I like the look of with the RN50 design.

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/serbu_rn50_01.jpg

I make ammunition as a side business and needed to test some subsonic 50 cal ammunition anyway, so I used the RN50 to do it.

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/ASR/20161022_RN50_ASR.jpg

Recoil is negligible with the light subsonic loads (44gr TrailBoss w/750gr AMAX) and they were pretty accurate too!

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/ASR/rn50_amax_sub.jpg

Full power 743gr brass solids were pretty stout, though still manageable.

Screwing the breech cap off and on wasn't as tedious as I'd imagined it might be.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Every time Serbu's budget priced .50's come up on this forum, I spend an evening on his site looking at all his neat stuff. Then I look at my bank account, see where I can cut some fat and decide what model I want.

Then I sober up and say 'WHAT THE HELL am I going to do with a .50? I don't have anywhere to shoot it, I sure as hell cant afford the proper scope for it, and ammo costs more than I'm willing to pay. Just like that, I talk myself out of it.

Then, a few weeks later, the topic comes up again and I go thru the same ugly cycle. :jedicrying:

One of theses days.....one of these days.....

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I used to have no problem getting a crew together to help me shoot the M2HB , but over the years they've married , had kids , moved away , etc.
All it's done in the last 10+ years has sat in the safe . Same with the M18 and M20 Recoilless Rifles converted to 50 BMG . Sold them all and half my ammo . Bought a Ferret 50 single shot upper . Did not hurt to shoot it , but it scooted me all over the place , so it was not a lot of fun . Looked at the videos and noted how little the Barrett semis moved people around . Bought a new M82A1 seven months ago and finally got to take it out . Loaded up 10 rounds , pulled the trigger a few times and I'd get a click . I'd look and see I was empty and say " was that 10 shots already ? " . Happened time after time . I kept a few thousand rounds of 50 on hand , mostly all my spotter/ tracer . They did a job on the brake rotors , large rocks , just about anything out there . Very accurate . I must say it's been awhile since a gun has made me giggle like a school child after every shot , but this did . Highly recommend one to anyone looking at a 50 rifle . Going to put my Ferret up on my table at the gunshow this weekend . I can see I need to buy more ammo . Already ordered two spare mags so I don't have to wait while I reload after only 10 .
Chris

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I used to have no problem getting a crew together to help me shoot the M2HB , but over the years they've married , had kids , moved away , etc.
All it's done in the last 10+ years has sat in the safe . Same with the M18 and M20 Recoilless Rifles converted to 50 BMG . Sold them all and half my ammo . Bought a Ferret 50 single shot upper . Did not hurt to shoot it , but it scooted me all over the place , so it was not a lot of fun . Looked at the videos and noted how little the Barrett semis moved people around . Bought a new M82A1 seven months ago and finally got to take it out . Loaded up 10 rounds , pulled the trigger a few times and I'd get a click . I'd look and see I was empty and say " was that 10 shots already ? " . Happened time after time . I kept a few thousand rounds of 50 on hand , mostly all my spotter/ tracer . They did a job on the brake rotors , large rocks , just about anything out there . Very accurate . I must say it's been awhile since a gun has made me giggle like a school child after every shot , but this did . Highly recommend one to anyone looking at a 50 rifle . Going to put my Ferret up on my table at the gunshow this weekend . I can see I need to buy more ammo . Already ordered two spare mags so I don't have to wait while I reload after only 10 .
Chris
I'm fortunate enough to have spent most of my military career shooting the M2. It was amazing the first few years, then it became routine, now I dread crew served qualifications. Just like anything in life, if you get too much of it, its no longer fun. My new fascination is with subguns....but living in NY I cant own any. Ive been to a few out of state rentals, that was a blast. One day Ill move to a free state and actually be able to enjoy this hobby.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I had the same experience with the 50 BMG. Built a nice M3HB years ago on a Christos kit. Ran it a few times at 400 yards, and then was restricted to 150 yards at my place. Bummer. :( Just did not work for me.....I can live with a 1919A4 at 100 yards, but a belt fed 50 just needs more space!! :tongue:

So, I sold that M3Hb and tried a Ferret50 - just so as to have a 50 BMG. Again.....close range shooting talked me out of it, and I sold that gun. I did like it tho.....

After a year or so I missed it, found some full ammo cans tucked away in the corner, so decided on another single shot rifle. Bought a Safety Harbor rifle. Shot it a few times - then ran into a sticky chamber....cleaned it up with a bore scrubber/polishing / honing tool, but have not fired it since. Maybe January at our yearly shoot at camp??? We'll see.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've had kind of a different experience with .50's .

I bought a BFG and an M2HB on the same day (years ago) we had a 1K yard range but, didn't realize that it wasn't approved for the .50BMG. So after much research and work I managed to get the approval for us to have the use of a much larger / deeper range. It met with so much approval that we were running Three shoots a year on this range! Then it was decided for a multitude of reasons to cut it back to only two shoots per year (which is really Great for a number of reasons) but, they were only daytime shoots and I had a lot of folks asking to do "Night Shoots" so I got to work on that too. So for the last few years we've been doing Split Day time and Night shoots twice a year. It's a headache for me but, it's great that everyone gets to enjoy both shooting day and night shoots. Over the years we've had new targets added to the range from Origami's to Conex's to armored vehicles and frequently we even have several hundred pumpkins when we played our cards right. I still shoot my .50's and frequently get to shoot other peoples .50's as well when asked to. I Still enjoy shooting targets at well over a mile away with much success and it's a hoot. Recently some changes were implemented which will permit us to observe and engage targets even further out than before with ease. I'm enthusiastically looking forward to our upcoming shoot which will be held in the next few weeks where several folks from this board will also be in attendance as well. There's just something about a six + second hang time to the flash that just can't be beat. :bigun2::thumbup::ripperwhore:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Frank in GA.

I wished I lived in GA that sounds awesome.

Guy at our local range has one of the new serbu .50 bmg rifles seemed like a nice rifle for the price. And he seemed very happy to have a .50

·
Registered
499 Posts
Jason, we have had folks from all over the U.S. in attendance at these events. Literally folks from coast to coast come here to participate, living in GA. is not a requirement although it does make it easier. LOL

My BFG has upwards of 7K down the tube. and it still shoots great! Thanks Mark for designing and fabricating such a well made firearm. It's actually my favorite .50.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts