1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently returned my Dillon 550 to Dillon for repair primer issues they repaired it and send bill for $ 67.50 service charge so much for their advertised for years repair guarantee ect.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Can you scan the billing and post it? I'd be interested to see what they are up to. It would be a good idea to black out your name and address.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I have seen examples of similar repair bills but what was done went beyond normal warranty work such as refurbishment of the machine. In my own experience I sent back a Dillon 650 that I bought which had been sitting in a barn for seven years. I was told up front what the charge would be which included return shipping, I believe it was around the same price quoted by the OP. Machine came back looking like a new one with all missing parts replaced at no additional charge.

I would be interested in seeing the invoice as well.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Same here. Although I have heard of others sending presses they bought in "distressed" condition and having the whole thing rebuilt for free, my experience has been that anything not actually a warranty issue has been charged for. I have five Dillons and three have gone back for various problems that I would not call warranty issues, and I was charged for parts on all three. I guess anyone sending a rusted press acquired at a yard sale that got rebuilt for free should buy a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
They have never, ever said they would rebuild their machines for nothing. Sending out new parts for broken is one thing. They do this all the time, but if you aren't capable of installing new parts on your press or following the instructions for doing so on your phone (they WILL walk you right through the installation right on the phone) and you NEED to send it in, you will get charged for their time. It's ALWAYS been this way.

I just recently "inherited" an older RL1000 that was missing some parts. With only a phone call, they sent what I thought I needed, then asked if I had a manual, which I didn't. They threw that in as well as all the parts. Shipping, toll free call, and advice... free. Found out I had a couple damaged parts as well when all the freebies were installed. Called them back up and as usual, all parts were free.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Dillon Press Refurbishing

They have a rebuild/refurbish service for all presses and have had this for some time.
If you take it in there is no shipping.
Here are a few recent posts regarding that. Prices subject to change.

We charge $67.95 for a clean and lube service on the Square Deal B, which includes return shipping. Please first phone or email us with your name and address information so we can create a return authorization number for you. Current in-house turnaround time is about two weeks.

We charge $67.95 for our clean and lube service on your 550B. This includes return shipping. Not feasible to strip and repaint it, as the is a baked-on powder coating.

From Dillon Forum.....here
https://www.dillonprecision.com/con...presses/searchBy/0/catid//sindex//stype/forum

AZB

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
They have a rebuild/refurbish service for all presses and have had this for some time.
If you take it in there is no shipping.
Here are a few recent posts regarding that. Prices subject to change.

We charge $67.95 for a clean and lube service on the Square Deal B, which includes return shipping. Please first phone or email us with your name and address information so we can create a return authorization number for you. Current in-house turnaround time is about two weeks.

We charge $67.95 for our clean and lube service on your 550B. This includes return shipping. Not feasible to strip and repaint it, as the is a baked-on powder coating.

From Dillon Forum.....here
https://www.dillonprecision.com/con...presses/searchBy/0/catid//sindex//stype/forum

AZB
Just the shipping alone to send one in by yourself is over $70.00! Something to ponder. I'm sure they get a lower rate for bulk/frequent use, but their costs for shipping alone on returns and legitimate repairs must be enormous. :eek:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Just the shipping alone to send one in by yourself is over $70.00! Something to ponder. I'm sure they get a lower rate for bulk/frequent use, but their costs for shipping alone on returns and legitimate repairs must be enormous. :eek:

they probably have a deal worked out due to the volume they ship.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dillon

You think you 550 is a problem take a good look at a 1050. If you are not mechanically inclined don't even give it a thought. One grain of powder in the wrong place you are out of business for an hour. I am a machinist with 37 years experience and I don't cave easily. So far I have been able to ferret out everything that machine has to offer. If you are not like me stay with your single stage press.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
You think you 550 is a problem take a good look at a 1050. If you are not mechanically inclined don't even give it a thought. One grain of powder in the wrong place you are out of business for an hour. I am a machinist with 37 years experience and I don't cave easily. So far I have been able to ferret out everything that machine has to offer. If you are not like me stay with your single stage press.
I'll agree that if something fracks up you NEED to clear the frackup and then continue, but it shouldn't need an hour to do so. I have virtually NO experience on my inherited RL1000 and it DID have a learning curve and I did have trouble figuring out proper procedure because as we all know, we experts and I use the term loosely, do not look at the manuals. However...once you end up refracking the machine up in the exact same way a dozen times it DOES make you curious as to what is in the book.

I don't frack up as much as I used to...

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...LOL....really....!!

You'se guys crack me up. Can't dispute what has been said....especially the 'learning-curve. And everything printed in this post is factually accurate. Thanks to our DILLON member for setting it straight....appreciate your input. Been a DILLON user for over 25yrs and DILLON dealer for at least 20-yrs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts