1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching the forum for SG vs S.G. Marked parts to see how many Saginaw manufactured guns might have the S.G. parts in them. I was wondering what part of the war early vs late that they might have been used.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
The info is here somewhere....I recall reading a thread or 2 on this.

iirc...S.G. ....is early.

Lucky or gsg or kkk or someone is sure to know.

seems like there may have been 3 different variations..i just don't remember:help:

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
2 different plants producing for Saginaw

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Most of what I (think I) know about this is what others have posted here. I believe the M1 Carbine crowd had documented the markings pattern between the Saginaw and Grand Rapids plants, and so it seemed likely that the same would apply to the Browning parts. I have no documentation of this, nor do I know independently which marking came first or if whole guns were assembled in Grand Rapids, or just parts manufacturing. But most every Saginaw marked part can be found in both variations. :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
The Saginaw Grand rapids plant started out as Irwin Pederson. When IP couldn't get good carbines out the door the government took over the plant and had Saginaw start building carbines there.

GM had Saginaw making whole carbines in Grand Rapids and Saginaw, and Inland was making carbines at one of their plants at this time as well.

I have a Saginaw M2 carbine, a Grand Rapids M1 carbine and an Inland M1 carbine. I also have a Underwood M1 carbine.(I'm a amature carbine collector)

Carbines had more builders than any other firearm that I know of during WW2, and tons of subcontractors as well.

OP, Sorry we got off track.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts