1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about three months of acquiring parts, getting parts machined, and waiting for my side plate one more 1919 has been brought back to life.

The details - Like many this build is based on a de-mil izzy kit, I had the internals finished by 30cal to KMP specs, purchased rivets, drill bits, and punch from MSG, used a Halo side plate with replica markings, and was loaned bucking bars (THANK YOU!!!!!). One thing that isn't status quo is that I kept the original finish on all the parts accept the Right Side plate. The Right Side plate is a spray and bake type that matched the original close enough to make me happy. To use and over used term I really wanted to keep the patina of the gun, it has earned its marks, it tells the story. Sure you can see the new trunion rivets, Ill try to color match them latter.

First pull of the trigger went well with out a hitch. I was nervous after the second round because my Father In law has a Semi 1919 that has a feeding issue where it wont shoot more than two rounds at a time with out having to be manually charged. Not mine, ran through a 20 round belt with zero issues. Man these are a blast. Thank you all for the patience in dealing with my questions and setting me on the correct path.

Now I just need a tripod, more ammo, a M2 50......

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Congrats. Its very satisfying making one run again.

Does your father in laws gun have the super heavy duty izzy belt holding pawl spring? If he either puts a USGI in or modifies it, it may take care of the issue. There are a couple of things that can cause the issues with your father in laws 1919. That spring is a common culprit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats. Its very satisfying making one run again.

Does your father in laws gun have the super heavy duty izzy belt holding pawl spring? If he either puts a USGI in or modifies it, it may take care of the issue. There are a couple of things that can cause the issues with your father in laws 1919. That spring is a common culprit.
Thanks.

I cant remember I was quite the noob with the 30 last I looked at it. Ill be seeing the family this holiday season. Im going to bring my top cover to rule out any top cover related issue.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
If topcover spring is tired or out of shape it can cause unreliable feeding. It puts downward pressure on the extractor allowing it to grab the round. Simply swapping that spring might be easier than the whole cover. Also check for wear on extractor. And of course double check headspace.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Nice job!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Contact for therapy

Heck yeah, next one I'll re-park and make it look brand new.
Russ, please contact him with the list of parts for his BA build.
Always nice when we help others.

Addintional question/challenge: A6 parts BA marked?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Addintional question/challenge: A6 parts BA marked?
No A6 specific parts made by BA, just the normal stuff that would be common to all models. During WWII, only Saginaw produced the A6 model. During Korea, RIA made new A6s, and then both RIA and SAK built them in the 55-57 period, while they were producing the M37s. I have an A6 jacket, M7 flash hider and carry handle all SAK marked, along with most of the common 1919 parts for another A6 project, including a correct period LSP, top plate, top cover, etc. The last three are not marked, just correct 50s production.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very nice job! I'm just starting my journey and have been reading for days and taking notes. I'm trying to put the time in so I can purchase the right parts, tools, and services from the right sources. Sometimes, it's hard to resist the urge to buy now and research later, but I'm trying to be patient and take my time. :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice job! I'm just starting my journey and have been reading for days and taking notes. I'm trying to put the time in so I can purchase the right parts, tools, and services from the right sources. Sometimes, it's hard to resist the urge to buy now and research later, but I'm trying to be patient and take my time. :D
Thanks man, you are on the right path. Research, research, and more research. Once you have all the parts and tools together take your time and enjoy the build. I drilled the holes and counter sunk the holes in the RSP over a two week period. I would drill one or two holes a night after the kids went to bed. Kept me from rushing and making a mistake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts