1919 A4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Don't feel that Lonnie is singling you out. I consider Lonnie a friend. We have a common background and, when I can catch him by phone, we have wonderful chats. He's had my lock and funds for probably as long as he has had yours. Like you, I have no idea when it will be returned. It doesn't make it right but Lonnie works on "Lonnie-time."

So here is my experience: Spoke to Lonnie Ingram (Sherman) in February 2012 about a Vickers lock spring conversion, he said he was doing a run in a few weeks and gave me a price to convert lock to semi and do coil spring conversion.

Bought a very nice Vickers lock at full retail (did not have any spares at the time) and had it shipped to him, he confirmed receipt. Sent him an occasional email every three months since then to check on progress, usually followed that by a phone message (since no one ever answers and voice mail is full, it prompts you for your phone number which I always left).

After a year, I ask him via email and phone message that if he was unable to complete the job to please return lock at my shipping expense. I never received an email response or phone call.

Last week after 2 years and 3 months I sent him a letter with a check for ten dollars (to cover insured priority mail return) with a request for return of the lock. I followed it up by email and a phone call. :help:

As of today, no response. I like to think of myself as a very reasonable and fair person with good communications skills. I am very disappointed in his behavior. I will wait a little while longer for a response before I bring in outside parties, not because I care that much for the loss of the expensive part, but because I don't like to be taken advantage of.

What pisses me off is that other forum members see him at events laughing and joking and talking about starting other gun builds. I honestly believe he is a truly talented designer and machinist, I will reserve judgement for a little while longer on whether he is an honest and ethical person. :mad:

Just my experience to date, Dave, I hope you have better luck with him than I have.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Don't feel that Lonnie is singling you out. I consider Lonnie a friend. We have a common background and, when I can catch him by phone, we have wonderful chats. He's had my lock and funds for probably as long as he has had yours. Like you, I have no idea when it will be returned. It doesn't make it right but Lonnie works on "Lonnie-time."
I completely understand that I am not being singled out and it is not personal. I think Lonnie is a charming, talented, and knowledgeable fellow. On the other hand, when you take someone's parts and after two years you don't do the work, send them back when the owner requests them.

The length of time does not bother me, I have had gun builders take a kit and not get around to it for years. The difference is that they responded promptly to my occasional inquiries on status and even offered to return the kit if I did not want to keep on waiting. This is where I (and a number of other forum members) have an issue with Lonnie. As much as Lonnie likes to talk, you think he would call each of us!

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
I've been hearing/reading these same old observations/complaints about poor good ole Lonnie for many years. Why anyone chooses to do any business with him is beyond my comprehension.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Yep, what glassmountains SEZ, I'd just been trying to figure a way to say it! :lol:

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
All I know is He has had health issues that set Him back
This is true, and it is current information.
I won't provide excuses for anyone, but ones personal health is more important than anything else.
Even with the "usual" upsets he came through for me. Give him time if you can, it is worth the wait.
CaptMax

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that he has been having health issues. I really hope it all works out for him. I will continue to wait as the finished product should be worth it.
I agree that good communication is very important especially on the long waits. It removes the worries and negative thoughts you can get when you just don't know what is happening.
In the past he has always answered my calls so I was just concerned something had happened. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that he has been having health issues. I really hope it all works out for him. I will continue to wait as the finished product should be worth it. I agree that good communication is very important especially on the long waits. It removes the worries and negative thoughts you can get when you just don't know what is happening.

In the past he has always answered my calls so I was just concerned something had happened. Thanks for the replies.
I too am sorry to hear that he has recent health issues. All the more reason he should send my lock back so his future workload is lightened. Unlike you I have heard nothing from him for over two years (maybe he is ill now but that has not been the case in the recent past).

Based on what other forum members have said above, this is not new behavior from this individual and I personally am not inclined to over look it. I guess some peoples word is not their bond. As they say in the military, the maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Does anyone else do a Vickers spring lock conversion?
Try Lyndon Yates at Kiwi Customs (Member here on the forum). He is a busy man so give him time to respond and don't expect him to stop his builds to put your lock conversion ahead of others. I'm sure he does them in batches and have one I would send him as well if it would help him get a "batch" together. Maybe a thread should be started concerning the conversion option asking how many members would be interested? Ask him first and see if he is receptive to the idea.
CaptMax

·
Registered
713 Posts
When Lyndon built my Vickers last year I asked him to do the coil spring conversion, which he did (and I had him alter another firing pin for the conversion). It cost a little extra, but I feel it is worth it - much easier -- and cheaper -- to swap out coil springs, plus you can get a lot more variety in spring tension with coil springs. I'm actually considering have him do a 2nd lock for me when h does another Vickers run.

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
Well after a few years of trying to get parts back from Lonnie for four board members here I am giving up. I sent him Browning parts for free a year and a half ago with the agreement that he call a local member and hand over the parts for the fours guys and I would pack and ship the stuff back to them on my dime. I shipped the parts to him the same day because he needed them fast (I did not know he knew the meaning of that word?) and he agreed to hold up his end of the bargain which he has not. Over the last year and a half he has never answered the phone, letters and has just refused a certified letter which I sent him. Sorry guys I tried my best but Lonnie is a POS and I doubt anyone will ever see their parts or deposits again. A few guys here have talked about contacting the authorities and I would say now is the time because if something happens to Lonnie his family will never go through the effort to get everyone's stuff returned but more than likely sell the parts for the money. I have given him every opportunity and made this as easy as possible but he clearly does not care about anyone else other than himself.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I'm in on any appropriate legal action. Lonnie owes me $250 and a Vickers lock. We might have, in fact, waited too long. By the way, if you ever run into Sam Alvarez, let me know.

·
11,291 Posts
russ, send me a list and his address again. i will make a couple drop bys just to make the last standing effort. one of the things is mine too from before i even moved to cincy.

rory

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
:eek: Yes, count me in Russ, he owes me a lock also. Certainly appreciate your efforts, over the years people have made excuses for him (bad health, etc.) but I know better. He is committing fraud by taking forum members parts and/or money and has no intention to ever deliver.

Happy to jump on to a complaint if someone starts the ball rolling. Don't really care about the money I paid for the lock (don't expect to recover that), it is the principle of him misappropriating things that bugs me.

The man has no honor, if a man doesn't have honor, what does he have?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The man has no honor, if a man doesn't have honor, what does he have?

YOUR MONEY! :rofl::rofl::rofl::jedicrying::mad:

Two consistent attributes of reliable builders:

1. They turn down work when too busy so they can deliver in a reasonable time

2. They budget time for communications. Keeping customers truthfully updated isn't a chore, it's an invaluable part of the business

A third, not 100% of the time though, is that they take a down payment with the initial order, and the vast of majority of money is due AFTER the work is done.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
A most spectacular comment!! :D

YOUR MONEY! :rofl::rofl::rofl::jedicrying::mad:

Two consistent attributes of reliable builders:

1. They turn down work when too busy so they can deliver in a reasonable time

2. They budget time for communications. Keeping customers truthfully updated isn't a chore, it's an invaluable part of the business

A third, not 100% of the time though, is that they take a down payment with the initial order, and the vast of majority of money is due AFTER the work is done.

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
russ, send me a list and his address again. i will make a couple drop bys just to make the last standing effort. one of the things is mine too from before i even moved to cincy.

rory
Rory I just sent you the list and thanks for taking the time AGAIN to help with this. Redroth you hand Dave H. are on that list and I still know what your items were. Alistair is also now on the list and too pissed to bother with him anymore. We will see if anyone else would like to get on the list because this is the last attempt before things get really ugly for him.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Oh shoot, Toolman is PO and when he's PO, get out of the way...out of the state, if one can. Sounds like "Sherm" is going to get it shoved way, way up.

I'm glad I'm just a bystander. I saw this thread years ago and it saved me the heartache.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts