1919 A4 Forums banner

421 - 440 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
What's your mix ratio of Simple Green to water? I have never, ever, ever had that stuff work for me to clean the simplest things.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
What's your mix ratio of Simple Green to water? I have never, ever, ever had that stuff work for me to clean the simplest things.
I mix based on how filthy the item is!
I also keep a spray bottle on had to apply directly to heavier dirt.
I had to use a paint scraper to peel off the grease that had dripped onto the bottom (from the stored Vickers), then attacked what remained with cleaner.
The Colorado sun works to soften the grease also.
One some heavily greased metal parts I place them in a deep stainless steel pan and leave in the summer sun.
The high sides really catch that "solar energy"
Man, that gets really hot fast!

Richard

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
That might be the best looking Vickers/Lewis chest I've seen and I have 4. What's in it doesn't look too shabby either!
Thank you!
The one that is stenciled and holds the LEWIS I picked up at Knob Creek from Greg at Allegheny.
The latest one was in the APEX warehouse, along with one other chest.
I guess I was lucky about the condition!
My BREN chest is nice inside, but very weathered externally, plus the stenciling is painted over.

Richard

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
You may want to try paint thinner on that BREN chest, see if the silver paint can be removed to reveal the stenciling.

In my experience, "third party" paint is rubbish and comes right off, whereas original military paint is durable. I've observed this on everything from transit chests to Yugo-Apple repainted accessories. The exception is the darker green Austrian paint, fuggers.

On the topic of removing Yugo green over-paint, I use Citristrip. Odorless, safe indoors; layer it on the Yugo paint, leave five minutes, and most of it will scrub off with a plastic brush.

If you elect to try it, love to see the results!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
I suppose what I should do is look thru the pallet of BREN cases in the APEX warehouse and see if there is one with better markings or is just more interesting.
We located the most recent BREN chest's in the Springfield Sporter's material.

I have a picture to post showing the end of the VICKER's crate, with it's stenciled markings.
It is stamped "SLAZ" 1942.

And this picture of the LEWIS LMG lid showing the last marks that were stenciled on it.

Richard

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Richard,
That lid has MA-666 on it, is that crate for only a lewis gun or is it for a Vickers also ? I have a Australian vickers kit that has serial number 666

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Richard,
That lid has MA-666 on it, is that crate for only a lewis gun or is it for a Vickers also ? I has Australian vickers kit that has serial number 666
That chest is a standard MK III, so will hold either a LEWIS or VICKERS.
I bought it from Greg at Allegheny Arsenal while at Knob Creek some years back.
It was one he had set back due to the nice condition.
I was quite happy to get it!

Richard

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That chest is a standard MK III, so will hold either a LEWIS or VICKERS.
I bought it from Greg at Allegheny Arsenal while at Knob Creek some years back.
It was one he had set back due to the nice condition.
I was quite happy to get it!

Richard
Richard I bought a vickers kit from Greg at Allegheny Arsenal at knob creek some years back, looks like you got the crate for my vickers. If you ever go to sell it let me know

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does it say “Liverpool” by any chance? Liverpool NSW was where one of the large ordnance depots were.

I think Peter Laidler said the orange paint was only used in Aus and it was called Scamic or something like that. The boxes also got re-furbished during FTR of the guns and somewhere I have photos of the box shop and the guys look extremely thrilled......

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Richard I bought a vickers kit from Greg at Allegheny Arsenal at knob creek some years back, looks like you got the crate for my vickers. If you ever go to sell it let me know View attachment 98161
Or maybe you have the gun for Richard's transit chest :sneaky: maybe you should hook him up!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
My wife and I spent part of Friday afternoon looking thru pallets of Springfield Sporter's material over at WH5 (the expansion warehouse site).
We found a few notable items associated with BREN's, LEWIS and Vickers MG's.

Early 2 piece cleaning rods for the gas system tube of the LEWIS.

I believe this is the grease pot for the LEWIS, stores in the chest.

BREN gun spare parts tins (not many are dated)

Post war BREN gun oil bottle's (only a few of these, lucky one was tagged)

Then we ran across this interesting leather case.
Does anyone know what it is for?

The way it is made reminds me of British leather cases, but this is not marked.

Richard

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
I need to add these pictures of the WWII BREN oil bottles.
These oil bottles and the spare parts tins are needed to fill out the BREN parts wallets and spare barrel carriers that APEX already has listed on the web site.

We just need to get these sorted and listed on the APEX web site.

Richard

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #435

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Richard did they sell out in 23min ? The website shows out of stock?
No, they are still out of stock from the last time we had located a box of them.
Sign up to be notified when they restock and as soon as I get them to the mail order department you will know.
We are running semi-trailers between both warehouses all week.

Richard

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
I cannot imagine a more romantic activity! She must have been thrilled!
Actually, she really enjoyed herself at WH5.
First time I walked her thru that place her words upon entering the big storage warehouse were "Now, this IS APEX"
Friday she was so busy looking thru the pallets, boxes, etc. that she lost track of the time.
She called me over to several interesting "finds" with the "what is that" question.
She has a real eye for slings, pouches, oil bottles, holsters and bayonets.
Saturday morning was spent by her cleaning and treating old leather and canvas.
Around our local gunshows (where she sets up, I just load and unload everything) she is commonly known as "The Holster Lady"

Richard

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Late this afternoon I ventured over to the office.
I took a look at some of the product we just listed and some items that were awaiting photographs.
One really interesting thing was this "E" marked 1917 bolt body.

The breechface of the bolt and the lugs have been hardchromed.
They show some wear from use.
It reminds me of what the Japanese did on the early Type 99 rifles.
There was only one of these in the bin.

The other item I found worthy of a picture is an original sniper chest for the #4 Lee-Enfield rifle.
This one is painted yellow!
I don't know what that means, but there surely was a reason to paint it and stencil the chest.

Richard

421 - 440 of 482 Posts