1919 A4 Forums banner

701 - 720 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 ·
We had to work on Saturday...Jeff and I are traveling on business.
Since we were going to be passing thru the Hartford area Colt manufacturing invited us to come by for a visit / tour.
It was 2 hours very well spent!
Our POC at Colt has been working for them well over 10 years, mainly on rifle manufacturing, managing the parts.
The facility is over 300,000 square feet!
It used to be a Pratt & Whitney engine manufacturing factory.
A mix of older machines and CNC work centers.
Lots of gauges (at every work position), custom fixtures, computer scanners, laser marking machines, ranges (for both function and accuracy testing)
Colt test fires 10 rounds thru every firearm, and runs an additional 30 rounds on full auto on the Military & L-E contract guns.
It was a lot to take in!
We saw the metal polishing center and the Colt custom shop.
We had to pass thru security to enter, and no pictures inside.
I saw the 1911, Python and Anaconda manufacturing area, plus the section of the factory where the single action revolvers get built.
I am still working towards carrying Colt pistol parts, and expanding the rifle parts line.
The AR15 and M16/M4 manufacturing areas take up a lot of the plant.
One new thing I learned, Colt had a US DoD contract to manufacture the M240!
I saw the signs, testing fixtures, and even some unfinished parts.
They have shut that down now as the contract is finished.
We had to get back on the road as we had a long drive ahead of us and our POC also has a job to get done.
It made for an interesting Saturday!

Richard

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #703 ·
Damn too bad you did not have time to visit me on Cape Cod you would have enjoyed my collection and maybe bought it :)
Well, we do have to drive south from here during the week....

Richard

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #705 ·
That is interesting information.
Colt is done with that contract and FN is building the M240 again.
That tooling has all been removed from the factory and stored.

Those military contracts can be a PIA with all the particular details the DoD requires.
I was shown where every M4 gets completely torn down and inspected after they are test fired.
They also have to salt spray test 10% of all parts produced for any DoD contract.
That testing cannot be conducted in house, so the parts get shipped to a vendor for testing.

Richard

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #706 ·
Damn too bad you did not have time to visit me on Cape Cod you would have enjoyed my collection and maybe bought it :)
What is this "collection" that you are selling?
We do make those type of purchases.

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Sounds like an awesome day for both of you Richard and thanks for sharing that with us although you know most of us here are now jealous.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #709 ·
Sounds like an awesome day for both of you Richard and thanks for sharing that with us although you know most of us here are now jealous.
This is a great example of why you answer your cell and return calls EVEN when you are up to your elbows in a surplus parts deal.
I hope this coming week is as fun and fruitful as last week was.
I can't also can't wait to see the list that Colt is going to send me.
We are expecting the surplus material we bought last week to arrive after Memorial Day.

Richard

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 ·
The second trailer of material was delivered on Saturday.
I went and spent a bit of time with the WH5 people who volunteered to come in on the Memorial day weekend and get that truck unloaded.
I have to say that they did a great job on Friday sorting/organizing the material that arrived Thursday morning.
I saw a nice stack of LEWIS parts (some will be restock, others are new listings) and can see that we will have wood shipping cases of the drums to offer again.
Lots of MG-13 parts and accessories are being sorted out.
I didn't see the Vickers and Colt Browning MG-40 parts yet.
There is also a pallet box of mixed Breda 37 parts, that will be a job to get all sorted out!
Watch the web site over the next month or so.
We have another 100+ pallets that will be shipping in the next few weeks.

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Can't wait to see what you found for Lewis and Breda 37 parts Richard. I love my crate for the Lewis mags I got from you guys. You always have the coolest stuff.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The second trailer of material was delivered on Saturday.
I went and spent a bit of time with the WH5 people who volunteered to come in on the Memorial day weekend and get that truck unloaded.
I have to say that they did a great job on Friday sorting/organizing the material that arrived Thursday morning.
I saw a nice stack of LEWIS parts (some will be restock, others are new listings) and can see that we will have wood shipping cases of the drums to offer again.
Lots of MG-13 parts and accessories are being sorted out.
I didn't see the Vickers and Colt Browning MG-40 parts yet.
There is also a pallet box of mixed Breda 37 parts, that will be a job to get all sorted out!
Watch the web site over the next month or so.
We have another 100+ pallets that will be shipping in the next few weeks.

Richard
Dibs on a Breda loader if you dig one up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #716 ·
Dibs on a Breda loader if you dig one up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not this time.
We have another buying trip in the works.

Richard

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·
Can't wait to see what you found for Lewis and Breda 37 parts Richard. I love my crate for the Lewis mags I got from you guys. You always have the coolest stuff.
I am also looking forward to seeing the details of what we purchased.
The large items (barrels, magazines, operating rods, etc) I have seen, its the small parts in trays and items tucked in with other material that will surprise me.
APEX never had a lot of Vickers parts, so I am looking forward to adding to that category.
I saw a few boxes of BESA parts too.

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Nice welll I am hoping you have both a Breda and lewis loader in the mix somewhere.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Who IDs all this stuff? I can ID an FAL or often MG34 part to manufacturer and year, but sometimes I see stuff for other arms on the Apex website and I wouldn’t know if it’s actually what it says or part of a UFO. Beyond that I’m constantly correcting GB sellers and others on specifics of the advertised parts. How do you guys get so accurate?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #720 ·
Who IDs all this stuff? I can ID an FAL or often MG34 part to manufacturer and year, but sometimes I see stuff for other arms on the Apex website and I wouldn’t know if it’s actually what it says or part of a UFO. Beyond that I’m constantly correcting GB sellers and others on specifics of the advertised parts. How do you guys get so accurate?
We have a gent at WH5, then there is me (who spent a lifetime taking guns apart and putting them back together).
There is a person on staff who is really into AK parts and markings, locally I have one friend into Lee-Enfield's and another who studies Mauser's.
I also have a library of references (both in book form and electronic)
Sometimes I know who to send pictures to with a question and we have even resorted to posting a picture on FaceBook!
Then there is always something that appears that we just have to go learn about (Latest is Vickers-Berthier of which there is more than one model)

Richard

701 - 720 of 726 Posts