1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally (after what seems like forever) we've had a dry spell. We manage to get to the range today. Probably put 70 or so rounds threw the 1919. I am having some feed issues. It would shoot fine, then it would not pull the round out of the links.

It acts like the extractor is not grabbing the round firmly all the time. Maybe it's sliding over the rim of the round? I tried feeding with the belt flipped over . It liked single loop end in first the best. But still had frequent feed issues. I tried lightly oiling the links. It did not help. The bolt is well oiled.

When it doesn't feed I can rack the bolt 2-3 times with no luck, won't feed. Then I can open the cover and wiggle the belt and firmly push the extractor down, close the cover and it will feed a bit longer. I was using some off the shelf ammo. I tried my hand loads too. Pretty much the same issue. BTW, it seems like hand cycle anything threw it feeds fine.

So I grabbed a belt of some linked up surplus ammo I had laying around and it seems to feed better. I have no clue what it is other then it was surplus 7.62. I shot about 15 rounds threw it with no issues. I ran out of time to shoot it much more.

With the commercial stuff and my hand loads I was having issues about every 4-5 rounds. Then sometimes every round. The off the self stuff was 148 grain Perfecta brand. My hand loads were 150 grain bullets with 43 grains of Accurate 2460 powder.

I figured I better ask the guys that know these the best. Any tips? Does it sound like ammo? Or extractor? or????

Thanks for any advice.

Larry in South Bend.

PS, I still had a great time it's a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sounds like you may need to trim a coil or two off of your BHP spring.....? I'm sure others with MUCH more experience will come along soon to help out!

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Overall length of ammo is critacle to proper function/feeding.

If you have some of each left...compare the length and report back.

Your surplus ,which seemed to work the best ,leads me to believe your other ammo is probably a touch shorter.. A slightly shorter round will sit in front of extractor.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,080 Posts
+1 on theduke's suggestion here. Sounds most like short ammo, where the feedway depth allows it to slip just far enough forward that the extractor body claw is missing the rim. It doesn't take much. ABCB also makes a good point, as many Izzy kits have too strong a spring for the belt holding pawl, and that can keep the next round from consistently getting to the feedway center.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to say you guys nailed it with the OAL. I measure .645 thousands longer on the surplus ammo. I'll try not seating the bullet so deep and see what happens.

I'll let you know how it goes. I knew I came to the right place!

Thanks guys.

Larry in South Bend

·
Registered
454 Posts
..not something you mentioned...

...but a problem I had that drove me crazy on one of my put together guns. The right sideplate was just as midge too tall where it mates with the trunnion opposite the feed way. It formed a ridge there, not much, but too much and it impeded the links and belt enough to cause feeding frenzy in me when it jammed. Used a file and crocus cloth to bring them down even and smooth with the trunnion feed way. Life has been beer and skittles ever since. Skittles anyway.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,080 Posts
...but a problem I had that drove me crazy on one of my put together guns. The right sideplate was just as midge too tall where it mates with the trunnion opposite the feed way. It formed a ridge there, not much, but too much and it impeded the links and belt enough to cause feeding frenzy in me when it jammed. Used a file and crocus cloth to bring them down even and smooth with the trunnion feed way. Life has been beer and skittles ever since. Skittles anyway.
That is an issue that I know can be left unaddressed on both home builds and on some "professional" built guns I've seen. There is also the case of the BHP Bracket, LSP and trunnion fit when one is assembling with parts that never met each other before. Since I build mostly on all new parts, matching the height all the way across the feed way is something that is a natural part of the build. When the ohioblacksheep water jackets first came out with new trunnions, this created a discussion with various plate makers as they had previously used specs from original trunnions, all of which were not to drawing spec because the feed ways are all ground after assembly on original guns. Plate makers have always had to develop a compromise feed way edge height because no two kits were exactly the same. For the builder, as you found out, Dave, it becomes necessary to do the work to dress the whole of the feed way down so it is flush from plate to plate, as was done at the factories. Having incoming rounds hang up on a sharp edge, or links trying to get out of the way out the feed way port, is generally a bad thing! Matching up the trunnion and feed way surfaces extends all the way around the trunnion profile on all pieces coming out of Rogue Island Arsenal. It can be a lot of work, all by hand, but the details count!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stopped by Len's this morning. He showed me how much pressure it should take to push the BHP down. My spring seems fine. The ammo would appear to be the issue. the factory loads I have are pretty much loaded to minimum length. Len gave me a good length to load to. Thanks for the help today Len. And for the parts for my project!

I will get to the range in the next few day with some new ammo. I will post my results.

Thanks again

Larry in South Bend

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Life got busy. Between losing my mom and clearing wood from 6 large trees I had to have cut down I had not had a chance to get back to this until a few days back.

All the issues were resolved with a little longer load. She ran beautifully. We had a great time. My son shot it for the first time and he reloaded the ammo (with me watching over him like a hawk). He did a great job. Thanks for the tips guys. You nailed it!

I think my son had a great time from the smile on his face. I got a little video of him shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_7b4zdfzOU

Have a great memorial day weekend. And I'd like to say a special thanks to all the great men on the list the served this great nation. I have the greatest respect for all of you.

Larry in South Bend.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,080 Posts
Well done, and hat's off to Len for giving you a hand with the beast. He's a good egg! Looks like your boy is definitely having fun burning the ammo he loaded. Nothing like a good day at the range with a belt fed! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well done, and hat's off to Len for giving you a hand with the beast. He's a good egg! Looks like your boy is definitely having fun burning the ammo he loaded. Nothing like a good day at the range with a belt fed! :D
Len's been great. I was down pestering him today. We are hopefully going to get together this weekend and work on a project. He is a good guy to know for sure.

We are going to load up a few hundred rounds this weekend so he has another chance to hone his reloading skills :D He shot up everything we loaded so paybacks..... :rofl: He really enjoys everything but the powder drops. I have a little OCD when it comes to reloading and the safety behind it. I double, triple checked everything.
Here he is reloading:

And he used the linker to link it all up:

He had the full M1919 experience. And did a great job.

Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Looks like you two had a good time. One thing-- you will definitely want to look into a progressive press to feed the monster. Single stage will get old pretty quick.

Back to the length issue. I load to 2.780 and find that length works very well in either my semi or full auto 1919. You will probably need to try several different lengths to determine what works best for your own gun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Looks like you two had a good time. One thing-- you will definitely want to look into a progressive press to feed the monster. Single stage will get old pretty quick.

Back to the length issue. I load to 2.780 and find that length works very well in either my semi or full auto 1919. You will probably need to try several different lengths to determine what works best for your own gun.
10 thousands under SAMMI specs worked the best. I might move him to a progressive press later. At the moment this makes it easy to check out each round as we reload. I am retired and have a lot of time to do it this way. We are having fun. I like to load my match grade ammo this way. Single stage. I even measure and sort the bullets and cases by weights and size. I am use to the slower pace.

Larry in South Bend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts