1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Leave your pricing & shipping as is. I've shipped hundreds of small flat rate boxes & never lost one or had a damage claim. Don't change your years of good experiences over one sour apple . IMHO

Sent from my underground lair

·
Registered
116 Posts
Brian,

Posting my replies to your email is fine, your prerogative. However, posting my email address is not cool and I would appreciate it if you removed it from your posts. Also, if you have a problem with me, then let's discuss it like men. I didn't call you names or cuss you out, I just disagreed with the way you packaged my parts and because of that you've felt the need to include the whole community in our business and by posting my name and email address, you've made it personal!

Rob

I believe there is some coverage already, View attachment 16926 View attachment 16927

Brian,

Another brilliant response!

It was a pleasure doing business with you too, until I saw how you packaged my parts and how you have respond to my packaging concerns!

In both of your replies, you seem to have conveniently left out the fact that you shipped the parts to the wrong address, but you can't blame that on me or the postal system, right? That was your failure to follow instructions!

By all means, increase your prices for shipping. If that means the parts will be protected better, nobody would have a problem paying a few more dollars to protect their investment!

And your recall is wrong! I used a bigger box, I bubble wrapped each part individually, padded with paper, and then taped the entire box to help reinforce it. My box, padding, and packaging was nothing like yours! The box you used was too small. You barely wrapped the parts with bubble wrap. The accelerator wasn't wrapped at all and thrown in with the barrel extension. So it was bumping up against the barrel extension during the entire shipment. And you used no extra padding between the box and parts!

I realize that you have been in the machine gun community for a long time and that you are well respected, but that doesn't mean that you're immune from making mistakes or that your shipping practices have no room for improvement. Unfortunately, like I said previously, your not open to suggestions or improving the way you do things. Apparently, your perfect and you should just keep doing things the way you have always done them!

Take care,

Rob

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I include return shipping by USPS flat rate priority in my prices, I've found the small box holds a set of internals and I've shipped countless boxes this way. I recently shipped a set of parts out and the post office mangled the box and the person has said its my fault for not using a bigger box( the post office can mangle that too) , my question is should I raise prices by $10 for the increased shipping or leave it as is?

I've recieved parts from multiple addresses, parts with no instructions, payment sent seperatly, special instructions etc... Sometimes mistakes are made, I'm only human, I've tried my best to correct anything but I'm tired of being blamed for the way shippers(USPS,UPS,FED-EX) handle packages, if they smash boxes how am I to blame? Sorry for the rant but please let me know your thoughts.

You may want to look into FedEx One Rate. I use it regularly in my business over Priority Mail. The shipping charge varies with the distance from the point of origin up to a maximum of $10 if shipping in the FedEx Pak. Price also includes $100 of insurance. For the plastic FedEx pak I ordered boxes from Uline in sizes 9x6x2 and 8x8x3 to use with the small and large size FedEx Pak. I also have one larger size box that will fix in the large pak's but you have to knock the corners down on one end to help it slide into the plastic pak.

Setting up an account is no problem, it can be done online.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Brian, Just my .02 opinion here but continue to do it as you have done in the past. You can't help how the USPS delivers packages, or if they get wet.
If anyone wants it packaged better charge them accordingly. You have always been fair to me and my friends in the past. I think you've done 17 sets of internals for us so far and we never had a problem. One time you did send out some brand new trigger assemblies still in the foil wrap that didn't belong to us, I returned them back to you with a note on the error. If you were an ass I would have kept them but that wasn't the case, far from it. The old saying that you can please most of them most the time but not all of them all the time applies here I believe. I think your doing a great job Brian and it was good to see you at the creek by the APEX tent although we didn't get much time to talk.
Respectfully, CaptMax

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I ship a lot of small parts with USPS. Yes, they have a minimum amount of insurance included, but not enough to cover internals for the 1919. I also do offer extra insurance at the buyers expense if the shipment is over $50 value. Looking at the box pictures, a bigger box would likely not have saved anything, but it's impossible to predict what excess padding would have saved. Shipping in a South African 7.62 ammo canister would probably be the only sure way to avoid damage from a mishap on the part of the delivery agency. I'm a fanatic for padding things, but you can over do that too. Sometimes poop occurs - as in this case.

I would not raise my rates $10.00 because of one mishap, and make everyone suffer the loss. I think I would just bite the bullet, rectify the damage, and move on. If optional insurance was offered....well......????

·
Registered
116 Posts
The old saying that you can please most of them most the time but not all of them all the time applies here I believe.
Respectfully, CaptMax
CaptMax,
That's not the case here! I realize that sometimes stuff happens and I know it's not Brian's fault that USPS handled the package roughly. I was only trying to make suggestions to him on how he packaged the parts and if it were me, I would have used the next bigger size box that would have allowed for padding around the parts.

If optional insurance was offered....well......????
brassmagnet,
Shipping insurance was not offered and unfortunately, I didn't inquire about it prior to the parts being shipped.

I had the parts wrapped in bubble wrap inside the box, it looks like someone tried to damage that box.
There was a bolt, two barrel extensions, and a accelerator in the box. The parts were lightly wrapped in bubble. The box is just big enough for the parts and there's no room for extra padding between the parts and the box. In my opinion, a bigger flat rate box may have been more appropriate to allow extra padding between the parts and the box. It wouldn't have stopped the box from taking a beating, but it certainly would have added extra protection for the parts. How about we just agree to disagree and let it go?

Given the fact that Brian is a long time member here and well respected on this board, I don't expect much support and I'm not looking for any. And this post has nothing to do with Brian's machining quality, it's top notch or whether or not he's a good guy or not, he's been very helpful in this community. It's about how he packaged my parts and nothing else, well, and maybe how he handled the situation. I was just trying to make a packaging suggestion to Brian that in my opinion increases the chances of receiving parts without damage and isn't that what we all want? I don't think it's an unreasonable suggestion and I for one, would be happy to pay a few extra dollars to ensure better protection of my parts!

Rob

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Sometimes even the best shipping containers can get mangled.

A few years ago I shipped a Bren, via FED EX. I hand constructed a wooden shipping crate. I individually packaged each part and padded with everything from bubble wrap to towels. I SCREWED the box together and took it to the Fed EX hub. I declared it a firearm and was on my way.

7 days later, the mangled crate was left, ON MY DOORSTEP, in plain daylight. (FED EX failed to deliver it to the correct FFL and just forwarded it back to my house!!) The receiver was poking out the side of the plywood. Seriously, this thing must have been dropped off a cliff.

Guys, I hate to see board members get in a pissing match over a one off occurrence. I hope everyone involved can work this out and fault the carrier, not each other.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Brian -- I almost always put a piece of clear plastic wrapping tape over the receiving address to avoid rain, etc. Tyvek envelopes are practically indestructible. Parts inside these and then boxed in the USPS box pretty much ensures parts will arrive together and in good shape. For good measure, I often cover almost the entire outside of boxes with clear packing tape -- seams, ends and corners. For about $1.25/sq' Tyvek "house wrap" can also be bought at Home Depot, the Tyvek tape is great and, of course, adds to the cost. Other than that, I would offer USPS shipping insurance at cost. I had someone in Texas swear up and down he'd never got the six sets of rivets he'd ordered and I'd mailed several weeks prior, without insurance -- until I notified him I'd filed a (lost, damaged, stolen) claim with the Post Office. Wouldn't you know, next day the rivets "turned up" to him in the mail. I guess he didn't want to mess with postal authorities, but I'd met my end of the deal. Yep, "You can't please all the people all the time, and you can't please some of the people any of the time."

I hope you'll try to keep prices down where they've been, but ....

Best to you and all.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Brian, I would not change a thing. You have shipped hundreds of items with no issues. Just because 1 thing happened is no reason to change. Keep it the same,

if someone wants something different then they can pay extra. You do OUTSTANDING work! Keep it up.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
tape , lots of tape.

when i sell something i add the regular rate or flat rate if used + the $3 for a roll of tape i use on most medium and up size boxes.

their machines can be brutal on boxes.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Well I was not going to jump in on this thread as it is a very sore spot for me BUT I did send some parts out to be machined and it was my one and only deal with Brian and my last. Everyone that knows me and has had packages from me knows I get a little carried away with my shipping but tape and wrap is cheap rare parts are NOT. I had my 10 USGI bolts and two izzy bolts thrown in a medium flat rate box with nothing but a loose piece of news paper and this was at Christmas time when they are a touch busier than normal and the worst time of the year to ship stuff not well packaged. Needless to say the 10 USGI bolts were destroyed beyond saving and they took me years to find them, one even had chunks gone from it and they looked like they had been in a concrete mixer for three hours when I got them. The news paper was shredded to death and it looked like a family of gerbils was living in there.
His response was less than favorable and the packing was blamed on his wife. Four of these bolts were for my BA twins which I have waited years to build and it took me years to find 4 perfectly marked bolts good enough for the twins. 2 were blued and 2 in the white which will now take me years to replace if even possible thanks to the packing job or lack there of.
One was a pure USGI WWI unmolested Westy bolt that was a Christmas gift for GSG which I was able to repair but at great expense. I will never forget the day I opened that box and felt my heart sink it was December 23rd and a not so Merry Christmas for me that year and if you think I am exaggerating I have had a few members look at them to try and convince me they could be saved but they gave up the argument as soon as they saw them in person.
This is how mine were shipped back to me and I know Brian has done much for the community here and have no complaints about his machining abilities but I for one will never deal with him again. To this day I am still sick over it and the bolts are in the same box as I have never looked at them since. I can't upload pictures right now but will forward them to anyone whom would like them. Russ

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I am often surprised at how parts arrive escaping damage due to the poor packaging they were given. Having grow up in the moving and storage business I have seen my fair share of horror stories all due to negligent packing.

Items should be well wrapped in bubble wrap or moving pager (newspaper), allow space between the item and the side of the box for shreds or crumpled newspaper, items even when wrapped should not touch the sides of the box. Allow a couple of inches all around for packing material. Shake the box, if you hear pieces moving around, add move packing material. Items moving around will either break or damage their finish. Last but not least use the proper size box for what you are shipping, over stuffed boxes are just asking for trouble.

If anything pack the pieces like you would expect others to pack yours.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Well I was not going to jump in on this thread as it is a very sore spot for me BUT I did send some parts out to be machined and it was my one and only deal with Brian and my last. Everyone that knows me and has had packages from me knows I get a little carried away with my shipping but tape and wrap is cheap rare parts are NOT. I had my 10 USGI bolts and two izzy bolts thrown in a medium flat rate box with nothing but a loose piece of news paper and this was at Christmas time when they are a touch busier than normal and the worst time of the year to ship stuff not well packaged. Needless to say the 10 USGI bolts were destroyed beyond saving and they took me years to find them, one even had chunks gone from it and they looked like they had been in a concrete mixer for three hours when I got them. The news paper was shredded to death and it looked like a family of gerbils was living in there.
His response was less than favorable and the packing was blamed on his wife. Four of these bolts were for my BA twins which I have waited years to build and it took me years to find 4 perfectly marked bolts good enough for the twins. 2 were blued and 2 in the white which will now take me years to replace if even possible thanks to the packing job or lack there of.
One was a pure USGI WWI unmolested Westy bolt that was a Christmas gift for GSG which I was able to repair but at great expense. I will never forget the day I opened that box and felt my heart sink it was December 23rd and a not so Merry Christmas for me that year and if you think I am exaggerating I have had a few members look at them to try and convince me they could be saved but they gave up the argument as soon as they saw them in person.
This is how mine were shipped back to me and I know Brian has done much for the community here and have no complaints about his machining abilities but I for one will never deal with him again. To this day I am still sick over it and the bolts are in the same box as I have never looked at them since. I can't upload pictures right now but will forward them to anyone whom would like them. Russ
I forgot about this Russ, thanks for voicing your opinion. I guess there are always two sides to a story.
Now I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I too go the extra mile to be sure I wrap, package, and ship everything to the best of my abilities.
I'm not sure even doing that is enough for the delivery guys these days, we've all heard the horror stories.
Sorry to see this happen, nobody come out a winner. :(
CaptMax

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Yup - in most cases it IS a horror story that plays into damaged goods. Obviously this package was not handled properly. Had each piece been wrapped in 1/2" of bubble wrap and placed in between styrofoam slices it might have been a different story. Being that 100's of packages in the past had been shipped in the same manner I understand the probability of sending this one the same way. In Russ' case obviously a much larger package was involved, and we all know loose heavy objects tend to do a lot of damage inside a container, whether it be cardboard, plastic, or metal. In that case more packaging material most likely would have been beneficial. I guess my point is/was that most of the time tightly packaged parts [such as these] will not suffer damage because of that fact - tight packaged in a tight shipping box. This case was not the packaging, but the USPS or sub-contractors of.........either way - it's done - rectify as is possible, learn, and move forward.....

Sounds good eh'? Now......had they been my parts, I'm sure I probably would not be as objective.......:tongue:

Good luck fellas ;)

·
Legendary Donor
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've tried to accommodate or correct anything someone has a problem with, I'm human and mistakes are sometimes made. Ive replaced parts that people insisted they sent even though I knew better, parts that people said they never recieved etc.. I can't fix the issue if not given the opportunity, the packages will now be shipped in a larger box with insurance and signature, new prices will be $15 higher, sorry but I have to cover myself.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I've tried to accommodate or correct anything someone has a problem with, I'm human and mistakes are sometimes made. Ive replaced parts that people insisted they sent even though I knew better, parts that people said they never recieved etc.. I can't fix the issue if not given the opportunity, the packages will now be shipped in a larger box with insurance and signature, new prices will be $15 higher, sorry but I have to cover myself.
Well you have to do what you have to do Brian, I doubt your work load will slow due to this.
Besides what shipper hasn't risen their prices over the last year or two?
This has been a good thread as it makes everyone aware of what can happen whether by packaging or by accident.
CaptMax

1 - 20 of 26 Posts