1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
the trick will be to get the whole circumference of the trunion threads hot enough, evenly, to get the solder to flow, perhaps 2 or 3 of you buddies each holding a torch and you turn it off

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I second that MAP gas is hotter and better, propane will work though in a pinch. You will want at least 1 more person to help you remove that beast, one to hold the torch and the other to unscrew the shroud. It took me and my Dad 20 minutes to figure it out and get it off. Just be sure to not quench the hot metal parts let them cool on their own.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Shroud Removal

My last kit had a soldered shroud and I was able to remove it by myself. I clamped the front trunnion in the vise, found a piece of 5/8" dia steel rod (or the size that fit the shroud holes) about 3' long and instered into a set of holes near the trunnion. I used my propane torch and heated the outside area where it was threaded onto the trunnion. The heating was done so the shroud was heated all around. While heating, I kept pulling on the rod until the solder broke loose. Once it did, I kept heat on it until I had it removed.

After removal of the shroud, and the parts were still hot, I wiped as much solder off as possible (be careful) then I used a wire brush to remove the rest. A second person makes it a lot easier though!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a map gas and oxygen kit at Lowes, heated it up and took it off with a tire iron, then wire brushed the threads. Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts