1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1918 belt loader and I do not see where I have this "shuttle adjustment" on my 1918. Is the below instructions for a different loader or am I missing something and overlooking this adjustment on my 1918?

Here is the quote from the US Military manual for the "US Belt Filling Machine Cal .30--Shuttle Type"

Download the whole manual here. There are lots of pictures

4. ADJUSTING THE SHUTTLE.
a. Before proceeding with the operation adjust the shuttle in the following manner: Insert a round into the magazine. Turn the crank clockwise and advance the round to the limit of the first stroke.
b. Loosen the two large screws on the belt guide until it is free to slide. Adjust the shuttle so the neck of the cartridge case rests lightly against the rear groove of the shuttle blade (fig. 4). Fasten the guide securely. Remove the round.
c. Rotate the shuttle with finger and note freedom of movement. If the shuttle moves freely, the adjustment is complete. If the shuttle binds, proceed as in the following paragraph.
d. Loosen slightly one or both of the screws on the belt, making certain that the guide is still firmly secured and is not free to slide. Test movement of the shuttle. If the shuttle still binds, proceed as in e below.
e. Unscrew the large screws and remove the belt guide. With a fine file dress the surface of the cast iron frame where it interferes with the shuttle. Assemble the shuttle to the frame and test movement of the shuttle. If necessary, file off more metal until the shuttle moves freely. Then proceed to adjust the shuttle as in a and b above.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What machine do you have? If you have needles, you probably don't have the adjustments refered to. I looked at the pdf file and most of the pictures appear to be of a needle type machine as it shows needles where the shuttle should be. Only the exploded view seems to show a shuttle. I think most 1918 machines around are needle type.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw this in the manual, so you are correct. Thanks!

2. CHARACTERISTICS
The belt filling machine is designed for the rapid loading of cal. .30 machine gun web belts. It is attached to a bench when in use and is fitted with a crank for hand operation. The machine is identical with the Browning belt filling machine cal. .30 M1918 except that the needle bar slide assembly of the earlier model has been replaced with a shuttle assembly. In addition, the cam on the needle bar lever has been modified by filing off ? inch from the nearest the needle bar (fig. 3).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts