1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sight mount is loose on my 1919 i need to drill the rivets out and replace them but i was wondering where i could get them? also looking for a place to buy park solution and some sort of direction on how to do it . thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I dont know where to buy them but makin them is easy enough as all you need is some steel rod of proper size and beat on the ends with a BFH. I havent tried it YET but everyone on the board seams to love the Allegany Arsenal park kit if a remember correctly.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
I am trying to remember, offhand, if the bottom plate rivets from a Black Bear kit are long enough. I have to check, but I think they are. I have done this and I did use an existing rivet, not plain rod. Assuming we are talking about an assembled gun, you are going to need to use a bucking bar just like doing the bottom plate rivets. You have the same, 60 degree countersinks inside the left side plate where the rivets go. If you do it carefully, you should not have to do any clean up inside, or not much. Just smash the buggers flat on the outside, like any flush rivet job, and dress it down.

I have been using the Allegheny Arsenal solution and am very happy with it. It is very forgiving stuff. I never have to worry about the balance or anything. If it seems to be slowing down, (few bubbles coming up from the part immersed) we just throw in a few more ounces of solution. I screen the sediment out and keep the solution in a sealed plastic drum between batches. I clean the sediment out of the tank each time. It builds up again every batch, but you can do a lot of stuff per batch before the sediment starts getting so thick it wants to stick to everything. Color has been a pretty consistent, dark gray.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Just tighten up the ones that are already in there...bucking bar on the inside and big whammy hammer on the outside...it won't take much.

Parkerizing is covered in the build tutorial on the home page.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didin't assemble the gun so i dont have a bucking bar or a idea of what it ilooks like or does but im sure i could make one given some dirrection. i also like the idea of replacing the rivets because they are already below the level of the rear sight mount. any help would be appreciated thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts