1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed another tripod for the Maxims, and since the 08 on the sled went for more than I wanted to spend, I got the MG11 tripod. the tripod is in really nice shape, and I just happened to have the adapters for using the tripod with the MG08 I had setting. I have to go through the gun and get it cleaned up, but it should be a nice shooter......

IMG_0315.JPG IMG_0316.JPG

·
Registered
864 Posts
MG08 looks very nice, the rest of the toys look great as well, very nice gun room! Looks like the dogs are feeling better. Lol

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I saw that one and thought it was a very nice tripod sold at a very fair price, probably on the cheap side even with buyers premium.

I needed another tripod for the Maxims, and since the 08 on the sled went for more than I wanted to spend, I got the MG11 tripod. the tripod is in really nice shape, and I just happened to have the adapters for using the tripod with the MG08 I had setting. I have to go through the gun and get it cleaned up, but it should be a nice shooter......

View attachment 16039 View attachment 16040

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The adaptor that is on your gun is a variation of the adapters that were originally made and used to mount an 08 on a Swiss tripod. The one I see on your gun was made for Firepower Internatiional, Christian Cramner of IMA's Brit Militaria import business in GB. If I recall correctly, the Turkish 08s that FI imported into GB were adapted to Finn mounts with that type of jacket bracket, which was elevated, and using elevation parts fitted to the traverse.
Dolf Goldsmith originally imported the Swiss tripods and had adapters made for most of them to fit the 08 guns. The adaptors were copies of the orginal ones made for the same purpose. These adaptors were very short in height and fitted the traverse without adaptors. FWIW

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The adaptor that is on your gun is a variation of the adapters that were originally made and used to mount an 08 on a Swiss tripod. The one I see on your gun was made for Firepower Internatiional, Christian Cramner of IMA's Brit Militaria import business in GB. If I recall correctly, the Turkish 08s that FI imported into GB were adapted to Finn mounts with that type of jacket bracket, which was elevated, and using elevation parts fitted to the traverse.
Dolf Goldsmith originally imported the Swiss tripods and had adapters made for most of them to fit the 08 guns. The adapters were copies of the original ones made for the same purpose. These adapters were very short in height and fitted the traverse without adaptors. FWIW
Thanks Bob - I have had the adapter for a long time, waiting on the right combo to come along. Pretty sure the rear mounting point on the tripod is not original, as it had the funky Homemade browning type pintle in it. No worries though, pretty much anything can be made, unless you just happen to have the part laying around ..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,870 Posts

View attachment 16039 View attachment 16040
Nice tripod you bought MG08, looks great with your maxim on it.
Out of curiosity what did the 08 and sled sell for? Any chance you can post pictures of your sled and gun?
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Looks nice!

I bid the Digger, the Chauchat and a parts lot. I bid as much as I thought one could bid... still lost them all...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, for the money, the 08 and sled was the best deal. Just did not have deep enough pockets to stay in the biding, given the other things I wanted, which also went for more than I could afford.... There were lot of nice military riifles in the auction too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts