1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in the time after retiring & before you spend your days on the porch in the rocking chair with applesauce dribbling down your chin onto the bib, what does one do upon retiring?
Current plans include play with grandkids, rebuild deck, put in a patio, paint everything, have opportunity to actually shoot the toys that have been collecting dust, hopefully ride motorcycle again, finish a number of build projects, visit Gatekeeper this summer, visit KCR in the fall, and use my poor hearing (30 years in music industry*, seriously it is worse than firearms) as an excuse on some "honey do projects".

*Loudest concert ever attended? Make your guess I will post later & I doubt that anyone will guess the artists name. Correct guess and I'll send you a promo CD.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Spinal Tap their amps go to eleven! KevinT

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
4-times already...

Having been 'retired' 4-times and counting,guess I can speak to the subject. All the things mentioned are on the 'to-do' list. However, since I run an ammo shop and reloading emporium 6-days a week and attend gun shows on many week ends,guess I cannot really say I'm retired. I find that there are so many things to do and people to see that it just gets exasperating. I have...completed an inventory of all weapons,ammo,reloading equipment...stashed all long-term food and supplies for whatever....stabilized all fuel....got rid of all paper assets such as stocks,bond,IRA's,ROTH's,etc. and gone to gold,silver and other precious metals such as brass,lead,primers,powder,etc. This is just a start. There are vehicles to fix/modify,storage problems for the armor AND 14-1917 Carts,on-going projects like belt loaders,etc. Guess it never ends until you are too old to walk,talk,spit and chew gum. I'm not looking forward to a 'permenent-retirement'....LOL.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well, I guess I am retired and I stay busy, hunting, fishing, Shooting, Reloading, Getting back into my Class II business although I do not want to do it full time. I do some consulting in my former industry and in the Defense industry, unfortunately that is something that can snowball into full time work, so I try to limit what I get into. I have way more hobbies than I can do now anyway. The last 15 years have been very busy from a work standpoint, so when it was opportune to retire, I did. I was only 57 at the time, but it was a good choice. I pretty much put my whole life on hold after 9/11. Trying tot get it back now......
Nice thing is, I have most all the toys I could want already.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Bob Seger 1978 Summer Celebration :eek:
Now I am really showing my age.
CaptMax

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Since he has a promo CD I would guess it is someone more current/touring.

That being said Blue Oyster Cult opening for Rush Was a good one

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I retired at 57, and I've kept busy keeping everything at the homestead running smoothly. Garden to plant and harvest, shooting, cut firewood, reloading, keep the swamp coolers cleaned and operating, shooting, travelling all the places we always wanted to go see, shooting, replaced the deck last month-- did I mention I go shoot once in a while?

Funny I never seem to get everything done around here. Having a wife that's handicapped means I have to do double duty but it does keep me out of the bars at night that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guessing who it is

Some very interesting guesses, many classic artists. I missed seeing Bob Seger, he is still working just a bit long in the tooth now. Asked a roadie friend if he ever set up for Seger and was basically told that I'm old and so is Seger.
As a clue it was an individual not a group.
Counting down the final days of work, had one last good day on Monday doing set ups and turning parts, new trainee taking over. Being Friday I'm using a vacation day & picking my favorite little one up from school, play, out for pizza, and home when she gets tired tonight. No chance I'll spoil her.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Some very interesting guesses, many classic artists.................................................................................Being Friday I'm using a vacation day & picking my favorite little one up from school, play, out for pizza, and home when she gets tired tonight. No chance I'll spoil her.
Heheh - sure..... :)

It's what I live for now! :D

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Okay, I have no clue what the correct answer is, but my worst experience at a concert in this regard was one I went to just because there was nothing better to do, when out of town with a free evening. 1980-something, would have to double check the year, but I was looking ahead to a second visit to Phoenix within two weeks and planning for a free evening before our own event. Noticed that a band, which was all the rage at the time, was playing that night, across from our hotel, at a venue on the ASU campus. They were getting comments about teenage girls screaming all the way through a concert like the Beatles 20 years before. Well, what the heck, I went over to experience Duran Duran, just to see what all the fuss was about. Oh my goodness, I couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing. The indoor venue- a basketball arena- was packed, the music was so loud it almost hurt, but drowning even the music out were untold numbers of screaming teenage girls. I mean early to mid teens, not like 17-18 year olds. I had a pair of them two rows behind me and, after hearing them for a few minutes, I turned around to look. They couldn't have been more than about 15, and they were literally sucking in two lungs full of air each, then letting it all out in an ear-piercing, high pitched screech. Then they repeat, over and over again. It was literally painful, and I couldn't shake the ringing out of my ears for a couple of days. Almost bad enough to impact my own theatrical obligations the following night. Hard to hear our own orchestra over the internal ringing!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Glad to see I made the list!

Ooh! I can't wait for the visit! Give me a heads up and I will see if I can plan something "behind the curtain".

Gatekeeper

1 - 14 of 14 Posts