1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the price of 54R is going up, up, up. I'm assuming that conversion setups for that cartridge will wane, more sooner than later. A while back 8mm conversions were the hot lick. Now there is little, if any, cost advantage to running 8mm versus either 30.06 or .308. Does anybody see another cartridge conversion on the horizon that makes economic sense in the long run?

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Isn't a 7.62x39 conversion already available? As far as cold war era, surplus military ammunition available in quantity goes, that would be about it.

The problem is, the continuous state of war that has existed since 9/11 has been burning through a good bit of the reserves that would normally be sold off after about 20 years. My guess is that's cutting into the availability of cheap, surplus military ammunition available commercially. If you follow the logic, that means there will be limited surplus ammunition available for the next 20 years. :(

Maybe it's a good time to switch to long range, precision shooting. I'm getting better than 1/2 MOA with my .30 AR. Might have to move my best optics to it.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
A6 barrel, no booster plug, cast w gas checks and 50 cal powder

a modified lightweight set up to run cast bullets with their lower pressures. ( dreaming.....i know )
A few of us are already there. A6 barrel, two piece booster minus the plug, 220 grain gas checked bullet, with fifty cal surplus powder, or standard powders. I've started trying a 185 grain bullet that is shorter and used an 8MM front cartridge guide.

I'm really curious why 762X54R has jumped from $60 a case at KCR to $275 or worse. Also that Mosin Nagants are now $250?

Other thoughts, is anyone able to produce or procure the most often blue plastic bullets used in training ammo, or reproduce the WWII graphite type 30-06 bullets?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other thoughts, is anyone able to produce or procure the most often blue plastic bullets used in training ammo, ...
The blue training stuff works like a champ in my G3 when equipped with the proper German training bolt. It's accurate enough for me out to 50 yards. Recoil and muzzle blast are similar to that of a .223.

·
Registered
198 Posts
A few of us are already there. A6 barrel, two piece booster minus the plug, 220 grain gas checked bullet, with fifty cal surplus powder, or standard powders. I've started trying a 185 grain bullet that is shorter and used an 8MM front cartridge guide.

I'm really curious why 762X54R has jumped from $60 a case at KCR to $275 or worse. Also that Mosin Nagants are now $250?

Other thoughts, is anyone able to produce or procure the most often blue plastic bullets used in training ammo, or reproduce the WWII graphite type 30-06 bullets?
From what im told a lot of the 54R coming in was coming from Ukraine. They are having a bit of a war over their now and nothing is coming out. Who knows how long that will last.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
From what im told a lot of the 54R coming in was coming from Ukraine. They are having a bit of a war over their now and nothing is coming out. Who knows how long that will last.
That may be a factor. The various war zones that demand ammo are all going to impact this. One vendor I know, who was a big distributor of both the 54R ammo and the Moisin-Nagant rifles, has not been able to get more for some time. I worked with a local dealer and we got a pallet last December from him, of which I kept about 8 cases. My dealer would buy more, but we can't get it now, at least at a wholesale price. For me, it's just to keep my UKvz59 fed.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was really hoping for more 54R. Dolf talked me into getting that conversion setup for my Vickers and I did what he suggested. I must admit it does run like a champ, but now I'm questioning that decision. I did recently see that .40 S&W ammo is retreating slightly in price. Maybe it's time to stock up on that as I can use it in a couple handguns and a Vector Uzi.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Reloading options and politics

Go blue, buy a Dillon 1050.
An excellent suggestion with drawbacks. First the 1050 is pricey, second more difficult to operate than other progressive machine. But again regardless of your choice you run into the issues of primers, powder, and projectiles. All the equipment is worthless without supplies.

I'm certain some are thinking "I've enough surplus ammunition to last a lifetime." Keep in mind without the influx of new people, affordable firearms, and ammunition legislation will quickly remove your assets. When you have lost the interest of many, they absolutely do not care about what you consider your rights. Tie that with the way government/politicians portray crime, drugs, cartels, and firearms being hand in hand. Now where is your support going to be? Is your state next to pass a New York Safe Act?

Want to be paranoid? Start thinking about how government programs like "Fast & Furious" have armed the cartels, increased crime, delivered more drugs, and increasing demands that only the government be armed.

We were fortunate to acquire cheap imports in the past that now appear to be at an end. Today as is now evident a sustainable domestic source is first not reliable & second more much expensive. Nearly three years after Sandy Hook you still cannot walk in and buy .22 in bulk packs. As a side note the government has no shortage of ammunition.
Homeland Security needs hundreds of millions of rounds to control illegal immigrants? Or is it you they have in mind????????

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've been asking the same question, I wish I had started stocking up earlier. I just started buying 54R recently, and it's already gone up 40%. getting to the point where it's not worth the cost to convert.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The Airsoft 6MM conversion. Thats where its all headed anyways. :mad:

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Uh oh, Rory's coffee table is in danger of being on the auction block.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Still have a WAY to go. I see 54R at .25 to .30 per. cheapest -06 is CMP at well over .50 per. .303 even worse. So, it's 54r or nothing for now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts