1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us that can't make the show, how about you guys that can be there do a little show and tell

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yeah, inquiring minds would like to know!!!:D
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul.....no, not yet but I got something in the mail that's sitting on my desk to call about.....

·
Registered
885 Posts
Got a 1928 wc bolt with extractor for $135 from OOW. Picked up a set of Vicker tripod pins $50 and volume 5 from Dolf. Picked up a 54R Vickers extractor from Alister for $60.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was there yesterday. Picked up some K98 books and a MG42 AA tripod that I want to adapt to the 1919. I saw a few forum members but everyone was slammed at the opening hour. I did chat up John Baum from GermanManuals.com and met Ian from Forgotten Weapons...cool dude! I worked today but apparently some moron had a ND in the SAR building...father shot his son in the abdomen messing with a new to him gun. :eek: Not sure if they shut the show down or what???

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I picked up a NOS WWII Vickers canvas water jacket cover, a number of NOS WWII steam condensing hose canvas covers (some resold at cost to fellow forum members at the show), five 1928 Colt WC top cover pins, one 1928 Colt WC bottom plate mounting bracket, one Vickers emergency level (missing glass level), three Bren gun early MK1 butt plate shoulder spoons, two sets of (20) brass belt tabs for the Vickers Battalion Spares Box, a small collection of springs and screws for British guns, and a partridge in a pear tree.

The highlight of the trip though was to have a couple of dinners with Lucky#13, toolmanm203, and Dolf. Dolf is an amazing story teller with a great sense of humor. In addition got to spend quality time with DRH, gunrunner99, junking, Rick from BMG Parts, and Jeff from Apex.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From another forum....

"I'm setup middle of the SAR building. When the shot rang out, there was a half second lull, then everything just kind of resumed. Ten - fifteen minutes later, I walked down to that end to hit the head, and as I got closer, I could tell there was something going on...tables pushed bac, people grouped around, medics and cops running in, ambulance backing up to the door.....so I go piss, come back through the area where cops are shouting for people to make room...and as I am walking by, apparently by ground zero, they wheel the guy out right by me...I go another few tables down toward my table and it was like nothing happened. I get to my area and people were kinda vaguely aware, but it's business as usual, no biggie thing. Not really even much conversation about it."

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Yea we heard the shot but they had just previously announced an visit from a six gun shooter that would be at the show so we did not think much of it but quickly found out what was going on. I ran down to check on Dolf and a few others to make sure everyone was ok and I have heard about this sort of thing happening at shows but have never been around it myself.
Great show all in all and I was happy to meet so many of the west coast crew and enjoyed some great dinners and conversations. Lucky and I joined Dolf tonight and a bunch of others at a private party and saw some amazing stuff but it is after midnight and I am tired especially after trying to keep up with Dolf for the past week and change so more on Monday.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just to clear the air on the ND.. I was about 20ft away when it happened. I didn't actually see it but the shot rang and everyone went quiet for a moment. I jogged over to where the shot came from and the 3 or 4 guys behind the table immediately started shuffling to get the young man to the ground. I have medical training but zero experience so I figured it would be best if I stayed out of the way and began telling people to back up and make a hole for the medics when they arrived. People pulled their tables back and out of the way so they could have space to work on him. There were what I believed to a couple EMTs, an off duty fire fighter and an EMT instructor on him pretty fast. They cut his shirt and started yelling for a blow out kit. I couldn't see him too well because there were around 5 people tending to him but I was told the bullet entered his lower left quadrant and exited his back on the lower right side. I got a look at the patient's face and he was conscious but it was obvious he was going into shock. I'd say after roughly 15 minutes police and fire were on scene. They got him on the gurney and out of the building. As they were exiting I noticed the patient's head turning and moving so he stayed conscious throughout.

So the back story was that he had purchased a cz52 from another vendor. Took it back to the table he was working at. He handed it to another vendor he was with and it's unclear if they were having trouble racking the slide to check the chamber or if they were attempting to remove a zip tie that was around the trigger but at that point it discharged and struck the owner.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
****! "ALL GUNS ARE LOADED." When are folks gonna learn this?

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
885 Posts
They said on the local news that the victim would be OK and that the police had not decided whether to file a ND (news said AD) charge. A happy ending to a bit of dangerous negligence.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
****! "ALL GUNS ARE LOADED." When are folks gonna learn this?

Carry On!
Gary
><>
Amen to that. Some folks will never learn.
Glad our friends from the forum are safe and having fun.
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Eh, the one in the plastic bag....toxic! For a minute I thought you were going to suit up before taking that away? Apparently no where near as bad as the lead in the air?

Amish Bob, check the pile that comes back, there might be a lmg barrel in there that I passed on. Course they may have sold it?

Came back with a few trinkets that apparently even tsa didn't care for. Course someone put a "caution heavy" tag on my checked bag. Wish I could have gotten everything in there, seemed light to me?
Yes, the Vickers water jacket canvas covers used asbestos as the heat insulating material on the inside. I bought this one to use on my semi gun and will just remove the asbestos (carefully). The Australian covers with strap are rather difficult and expensive to find and I did not want to use the mint one that I already have. I can find dial sights easier than these original covers!

·
Registered
313 Posts
It was a great show for buying, cant say much for selling. I really enjoyed meeting the other meeting the other forum members. A bunch of good guys! Lucky's table seemed to be the unofficial meeting place. Thanks Lucky!

I found my share of the loot.

I heard the shot but was close to Lucky's table. Things went back to normal quickly. Been in buildings to two other shows with ND but this is the first time someone was hit. Very sad! The police detained the dad for several hours before letting him go about his business.

I look forward to attending either the Sandy of Creek shoots to meet more members.

Next year lets organize a way of identifying forum members at these events: buttons, badges, hats...

Thank to the other members for all their help and advice at the show.

Now back to the real world

Junking

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Yes, the Vickers water jacket canvas covers used asbestos as the heat insulating material on the inside. I bought this one to use on my semi gun and will just remove the asbestos (carefully). The Australian covers with strap are rather difficult and expensive to find and I did not want to use the mint one that I already have. I can find dial sights easier than these original covers!
Asbestos abatement guys I have know say the best thing is to paint it with oil based paint which will seal the fibers. It will present its own challenges but maybe less than trying to cut out material and create the very condition you are trying to avoid.(and run a very high risk of destroying the artifact) I probably would scotch gaurd treat the outside a couple times first, then mask with painters tape the trim etc., then with lots of patience, dab off all excess paint from the brush so it has barely enough to transfer to the asbestos. The idea being you want to minimize penetration of the paint so you want the least amount possible for the first layers, gaps in the paint are desired in the first layers. When I was reproducing a couple historic flags I was concerned about bleed through, so I used a clear cloat spray enamel in a flat finish. Very light coats to ensure it did not bleed through, building up till I had an adequate barrier. Then I went in with the decorative paint now that I was certain it was not likely to bleed through. That was done as said above, ensuring I had removed as much paint from the bristles as I could so it was a surface coat only, then you wait till dry and continue the process over a couple days until you slowly build up to complete coverage.

It takes time and patience but you preserve it intact.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Found a Turkish Tripod anti aircraft extension. I will if it fits my tripod better than the one I have. It was nice to meet every one. Next year I will bring smaller stuff to sell. Took a beating on everything I sold. Attendance seemed light this year. Definitely a lot of cool stuff but just not enough money to buy much. Maybe next year

·
Registered
847 Posts
I attended early Friday Morning. Number 1 business was to head to BMG Parts. Rick had brought down a Breach lock cam + a NOS extractor that I needed as parts replacements. I then moved over to talk to Lucky. Chatted a bit and then the Toolman appeared. We talked for about 15 min, and then I moved on. Found some unique Suomi Magazines that I'm trying to ID (Will be trying them in my S&W76 ). Couldn't find any other ANM2 parts and OOW only carries 1919 stuff. After taking 2 further laps around the Sar building, talking with many people that I know, I moved over to 3 of the other buildings. Found some Military Pull down powder but the price was just to high ($140 for 8 lbs). Spent some time BSing at the Arizona Citizens Defense League booth (They wanted me to fill in on Sunday at the booth. I've monitored the booth at several gun shows, but SAR is really hard. There is way to many people - no time to take a break ). Beyond that I had a great time.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Well the best part of the shows for me is meeting board members and vendors I finally got a chance to meet Robert at RTG and Don Bell and had some great conversations. I enjoyed meeting the board members and had lots of great conversations with them as well and enjoyed putting faces to names after some years in dealing with them. I am sorry I missed Darkstar as I would have really loved to meet finally but I did meet Redroth, junking, tirediron, western iron,muscles glasses, triple r, DRH and his better half, fasten8ter, craig Johnson, Johnson lmg, gunrunner99, Ordnance, 11thABN, storageman and a few others I know I am forgetting but I have CRST at the moment. I really enjoyed the time with Dolf and was able to see and play with stuff that most will never get to but he is hard to keep up with! I look forward to making this a yearly thing now and Redroth I will see you in Key West ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts