1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I remember years ago, like 20+ years ago, seeing a Bradley with a 1919 on it, might have been around the first Gulf War time frame. it was painted FDE like the vehicles were back then.

so I spent part of the day googling to see if I could find pics, I couldn't find pics of a 1919 on a Bradley, first off nor could I find any pics of even an IDF gun painted in any type of FDE color ?

I know its my gun do with it whatever I want, and EVERYONE has a parkerized 1919 , my buddy mentioned a distressed or battle worn FDE finish, do everything he says , even the repro tripod that I just got from Copes for $149...

I'm kinda feeling it, whats the worst, just blast everything and re-park it at a later date if I hate it, I could even rattle can the damn thing , since I'm gonna distress it to a battle worn finish

also I didn't notice how to do a poll, but I'd rather hear some replies, speak your minds, nothing will happen for a week or so anyways, an I committing 1919 blasphemy or would it look kinda cool ??

anyone have or seen pics of a FDE gun ??

· Registered
4,520 Posts
I don't know what FDE means but if it means painting your gun, go ahead. It's yours to do what you want.

It reminds me of a good friend of mine, now deceased, who was a big collector of German militaria (he even had a Russian 85mm A/A gun that had been rebarreled to German 88mm by the Breda Factory). He also had quite a collection of US armored MV's including an M5A1 Stuart Tank. Since he figured he would never get a German tank he painted the Stuart in a German camo pattern. It looked really odd to those that were used to OD but like he said "It's my tank and I can paint it any way I like."

· Registered
3,729 Posts
Early gluf war camo was FDE with white and balck specks , and even some chevron looking marks
You dont mean the early chocolate chip camo do you? Ohhhh helllllllll no you dont.

Seriously, dont paint your 1919. 1) its sacrilege 2) if and when the time comes to sell it......you will be hard pressed to sell it at anywhere near market value. I know resale is the last thing on your mind, but consider this gun an investment. AK's and AR's look cool painted up. Leave the 1919 bare.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
I have never seen an FDE 1919, as you said it is your gun you can do as you like. I assume you are talking about a semi-auto that you or someone else has built from a part's kit ? If that is the case you probably won't even effect the value too bad and if you don't like it you can park it later. post some pictures.

· Registered
3,729 Posts
I have never seen an FDE 1919, as you said it is your gun you can do as you like. I assume you are talking about a semi-auto that you or someone else has built from a part's kit ? If that is the case you probably won't even effect the value too bad and if you don't like it you can park it later. post some pictures.
A home built gun is a hard sell. A PAINTED home build is impossible to sell. Stripping a painted gun for parking can be difficult at best, impossible if an epoxy coat or the likes was used. Yeah, its his gun, its America, I get it. This is like sporterizing an old surplus rifle.....NOBODY looks back and says 'man, Im glad I did that'.

· Registered
1,036 Posts
so I remember years ago, like 20+ years ago, seeing a Bradley with a 1919 on it, might have been around the first Gulf War time frame. i

if you saw a Bradley with a M1919 on it, it must have been in your dream. the 1919 hasn't been in inventory for the last 50 years or so. besides that, there is no provision on any Bradley series of vehicle for a turret mounted weapon.

what you probably saw was a M113 armored personnel carrier with a M2 50 cal machine gun, the M2 is a bigger version of the 1919, or a M1 tank those have turret mounted M2s.

as for painting it FDE, it's your gun, you can paint it any color you want, you don't need to come on a gun board to get the OK to do something to your own property. if painting it FDE is what you want, then just paint it. everybody else can take a long walk off a short pier if they don't like it.

· Registered
3,972 Posts
I suppose there is a possibility that his memory is somewhat close, or correct.

Both Canada and Australia continued to field the 1919 far longer than USA; the dates I'm sure are available, though I'm not going to search to prove a point.

Me mate in AUS who is "our age" remembers 1919s mounted on armored cav when he was in ADF. This would have been shortly before Gulf War I.

I've seen and handled many Australian arms, and the only ones I can recall being painted were the water jacket on the Vickers and the Owen guns.

I can't speak at all for what Canada may have done, nor do I know (gasp) if Canada and Australia were involved with Gulf War I.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
I am surprised no one has mentioned it but if you have the capability to parkerized it go ahead and do it. Then paint it any color you want and if you later don't like it or wish to sell it get a can of paint remover. I did this with an 03A3 Springfield rifle I intended to hunt with and did not wish to worry about rust so I spray painted the metal parts OD. It had the original parts less the stock that was a synthetic sporter. When I acquired a nice GI walnut stock real cheap I decided to restore the gun and striped all the paint off and it came off surprisingly easy with a can of Zip Strip and a stiff paint brush. Of course It would be a little more complicated with an M1919A4.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FDE 1919A4 is definitely Kewl.
Battle worn FDE is even better

Yes I can park it at my shop, but since ai blasted the bottom late and right side plate, prior to assembly I was thinking ....that IF I didnt loke the FDE I could always blast it off later prior to parking it.

The FDE is a trial run now just for the hell pf it kind a thing, of ot sucks then refinish it...

· Registered
5,021 Posts
Anyone remember the purple flame paint job on the 1919a4? It was about 15-20 years ago when kits were still under $300. It was done as a joke I believe but it did make it unique. If I remember correctly it belonged to 30calmachinegunners son. It’s your gun and can always be refinished should you or a new owner decide to. Do whatever makes you happy but realize that whatever you do if you keep it long enough you will eventually get tired with it. To each his own, I prefer things as they were originally intended but I also like to personalize certain things. Maybe hydrographics would be an option?
I would definitely paint it FDE if I were in battle in a desert situation, then it would make more sense to do so.
CaptMax
Ps. I still have a picture of that flamed paint job I could dig out if anyone wants to see it.

· Registered
3,668 Posts
I would do a battle worn FDE... super Battle worn so no FDE was left and it was just parking... :)

I am not fan of FDE. You want to make the gun look like it fell in the Latrine...

Like you have pointed out you can always get the paint back off but if you are going to do it at least get one of those TNW modernized rigs. That is ugly enough it might look better in FDE.
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Assault rifle

If you are going to do it, at least do it all. I really hate the 90% FDE guns. Take the time and do every nut and bolt!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.