1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bowman says he has Breda BREN 30.06 kits inbound, and it was reported that a few kits were at SAR for high prices.

I stumbled across these being offered in UK, photos are good.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Interesting, yes there was some at SAR don't remember the price but they were to rich for my blood. Though I would have liked one. They looked just like your link. Unused demilled and in crate with accessories

·
Registered
941 Posts
Awesome! 895 pounds is around $1,306, way cheaper than a way more common 1919a4 parts kit. On the downside, it will most likely be sold here for a bit more and without a barrel; and some spare part and a barrel will be a nightmare to find or very expensive to reproduce. But just the thought of a 30-06 Bren makes me smile.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I don't know if Bowman will be able to get them in or not. Hope so but not counting on it. EU regs are a pain and Italy has never been very good about exporting stuff like this for people like us. He isn't talking about how many or how much yet either. At least he doesn't tend to promise before he knows what he has actually got in his warehouse and how much he wants for it.

The 900 lb sterling guns being sold in England are deactivated to the new euro spec so everything is welded and ground. No moving parts, no useable parts no takedown. Its very sad. I would certainly expect a proper useable kit to cost substantially more here in the states than those deacts. Some years ago I saw someone pay over $1000 for a 30-06 Bren magazine because they are so rare. Now there are quite a few more on the market but still not common. I can't see them ever being cheap, the kits or the mags....

I do know where a couple of Dan Shea's kits went and have been able to look them over really well. They are neat pieces and very well made. Unlike the advertising by some they are not new guns but rather well cared for and not worn out. The receiver is pretty much a standard Mk II with the magwell extended to the rear for the longer magazines. The receivers and most if not all the parts were made by Breda and are not modified Brit receivers. Too bad they had to be gas axed but seeing how well guys have resurrected other torched kits I don't think these will be a problem. The mags are a bit different in construction compared to the Brit and Czech types but very well made. The gas tubes are extended forward and the gas blocks moved to match in order to reduce the port pressure for the 06 but otherwise the barrel looks the same and the chopped breech section fits fine in an 8mm Inglis mk II receiver and barrel nut.

Hope some of that info helps

Frank

·
Registered
61 Posts
Neat gun. I would almost say the Italians got a hold of a few Canadian Inglis 8mm Brens dropped to Jugoslav partisans during the war and went from 7.92x57mm Mauser to 7.62x63mm /.30-06 to match their Breda made .30-06 Garand's that later became the BM-59 with the excellent Nigerian stock know of any?) I have never seen an Italian .30-06 Bren before this post after 38 year in the industry and held my first gun at age 8. Always learning something new. Thank you for the post

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Italians didn't have to look too far for an existing .30-06 Bren at the time as an arsenal in Formosa, now Taiwan, produced them for their own use patterned on the Canadian Inglis MKII Bren.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Italians didn't have to look too far for an existing .30-06 Bren at the time as an arsenal in Formosa, now Taiwan, produced them for their own use patterned on the Canadian Inglis MKII Bren.
Thought these might be of interest in this thread. I never did get a .30-06 Formosa Chinese Bren and don't believe there are any in the US NFRTR, but I was lucky to acquire an Inglis MKII Chinese contract Bren in 7.92, at top, the type which the Formosan Arsenal copied for their .30-06 version. Chinese ID stamped on left side of receiver.
Middle is Czech Bren, the ZB39, and this one in .303, allegedly a South African Contract with BRNO post war. That's according to Herb Woodend, who visited here many years ago and made that identification. As the curator of the Pattern Room for many years, it was interesting for him to see it as he said he had never seen a ZB39 in .303.
Bottom is Enfield MKII with MKIV barrel.
FWIW
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Line

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
2 weeks ago I had a conversation with an importer I know.
Along with a whole bunch of other interesting material he is bringing in, there are 30-06 Italian BREN kits.
So now we have another source of these unusual kits.

Richard

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
You guys are going to make me do an Italian Bren with all this talk about them :rolleyes: Since I have been going down the Italian road the past couple of years this thread is not making it easier to resist and I was already thinking about the Italian MG3s so now it looks like I have two more builds added to the pile.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Now that bowman is selling these kits, would be interested to know of any source for barrels. I see that the D&B deactivated gun has spare barrels. Would those be live barrels?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Does anyone know what Bowmans kits consisted of, how many he sold and what they were priced at? I couldn't find anything on the regular boards and he doesn't have a website.....they sell stuff with the vimeo videos.

Frank

·
Registered
311 Posts
Received my Italian Bren and transit case of 12 mags on Monday. The Bren stock showed the most wear of any of the kit and it's a shame the #'s matching barrel had to be destroyed as the rest of the kit is in excellent shape, as well as the #'s matching transit chest. I don't remember what the date of manufacture for the Bren was but will check back and post when I get home. The mag that came with the kit and the other 12 in the case all look new and the case is excellent condition inside and out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Due to a revision some years ago of a Gun Control Act of1968 prohibition of importation of "non-sporting" handgun barrels or some such nonsense. The revision was expanded to include non-sporting rifle barrels.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I bet I can make a semi striker for that Italian Bren Russ.....

You guys are going to make me do an Italian Bren with all this talk about them :rolleyes: Since I have been going down the Italian road the past couple of years this thread is not making it easier to resist and I was already thinking about the Italian MG3s so now it looks like I have two more builds added to the pile.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A bunch of the mg42/59 went to Ukraine. Bowman says he has/ has line on 100 more kits, wonder if that will happen or they too go to Ukraine. Either way better find one ASAP prices will surely only skyrocket.

the BREN sold out fast. Guess the Ukies didn’t want 3006. Can’t wait to watch prices on these kits.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts