1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been meaning to post these for a while. This event was back in October in Murfreesboro NC. There were only about 4 WWII impressions there. I am by no means a WWII reenactor, but I do belong to a unit, the 30th ID.
I normally just attend local living histories or displays and bring along my 1943 Willys. It is not as cool as a halftrack or armor, but it's mine and the larger stuff can come later.
I also take out the garand, 1911, p08 luger, p38, 1903, K98k, Arisaka, Nambu, and of course the un-parkerized 1919 and the 1917a1.

Before ya'll go all stitch Nazi on me and tell me that I am too big to portray a soldier.....I know that. :D I have been a civil war reenactor for over 20 years. I know that I am 3 Civil war soldiers, and probably 2 :confused: WWII soldiers. But I love history and sharing that love with people. My kids love it too. So get over it..., there...at the very least, admire my kids who are both quite proportional for their ages. So is the third one who is 3 years old.

I also know that the water can is not correct.....it's still on the want list.

I did not take these pictures, some are better than others, but I felt like sharing.

Oh, while there I did meet a D-day veteran who was 92 and one of only 5 men still living from his unit that landed that day. He had 5 purple hearts, two from bayonets. He was a pleasure to talk to, and was very honored that we were portraying his generation. He could not understand how I felt like the honor was all mine. I made sure that my kids paid attention to what he said, and to be quiet and respectful. They are likely to never meet another D-Day survivor.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Glad to see the kids out with you. It is amazing how soon they are taller than you are and have kids of their own.

Nice to see green grass, too. Ours is somewhere under the white stuff.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
LOL!! Those do look like 'before' basic training pics. ;) Kids look like they had a great time.:D

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...nicely done....

Kudo's for getting the kids involved...they will never forget it. Too bad I had to wait until I was over 50 to be advised that I had so many vets on my mother's side of the family...from the Revolutionary War to Korea...every generation.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you intentionally dress your kids in the period clothes, or are you amish?
We are militant Amish.

:lol:

Ha,...yes I dressed my kids in period attire. The event was a military through the ages type event. There were living historians from Rev War all the way to modern. It was a Friday, and the local school system brought several bus loads of 4th-8th grade students for them to see and experience living history firsthand.

My kids have always been active, since birth, with me doing civil war and wwii events. I thought that it would be neat for them to be able to interact with similarly aged kids. This allowed my son and daughter to be educators. Their teachers and school principal approved their absence from school since they were taking part in an educational trip.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Love the pics and the involvement between the kids. Somewhere in my family [hopefully] is a picture of me at the age of 3 or 4 with my dad and another fellow soldier at Camp Kilmer in N.J. I saw it a few times as a child - I remember I was holding a big can of Planters Peanuts sitting in the jeep. Sure wish I could get that picture into my possession here - holds some great memories, as I'm sure yours will too for your kids. Make sure to preserve them for future browsing by them! ;)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Looks great!

Hat's off to you. You consistently set the bar high for the rest of us dads. Once your kids come to an age of awareness (way down the road), they'll get the full effect of all your love, dedication and devotion. Keep the photo's rollin'.

B-D

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Very nice,,

That is a very nice collection,, Its great to see the kids when they check everything out ,, and with all the questions,, We do living history days hear in P,A ,, My wife and I do WW-ll , And my Dad dose civil war,, Im working on a m-1910 maxim dummy from junk parts collected over the years , im Shure they will enjoy it.. Thanks for the pics and keep it up , Merry Christmas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts