1919 A4 Forums banner

Someone Made $3,000 Selling 3D-Printed Guns at a Gun Buyback Event

4K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  IMBLITZVT 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I wonder if they would know, since it is an anonymous drop off.

I stood outside one buy back a couple years ago with a sign that said paying cash for guns. It was a fun day. 90% of what I saw headed inside was people getting rid of something broken or junk. Didn't look like many hardened criminals disposing of evidence. Had one crazy old liberal guy scream at me, and the organizers of the event made some rude comments, but uneventful other than that. I missed a couple really nice military surplus rifles by a few minutes. Some fool turning in grandpap's war trophy. I think it was an M1 Garand and a MAS 49.

Since then the police have started ticketing anyone trying to buy guns on the street outside the buybacks with "soliciting without a license". I know a guy that got slapped with that. He beat it but it cost him some coin for a lawyer.

#7 ·
But, but, but aren't the evil homemade [scary voice] GHOST GUNS what is really driving all the crime? They must certainly be made a priority! On the other hand...getting that broken firearm of the street? Could be more pressing 🤔😕...decisions.

All joking aside what percentage of good working firearms do they normally acquire? And unfortunately actual collectibles?

#8 ·
But, but, but aren't the evil homemade [scary voice] GHOST GUNS what is really driving all the crime? They must certainly be made a priority! On the other hand...getting that broken firearm of the street? Could be more pressing 🤔😕...decisions.

All joking aside what percentage of good working firearms do they normally acquire? And unfortunately actual collectibles?
Its usually a mix of Glocks, Ravens (remember them??!) and sawed off shotguns. Ive been told by more than a few guys that the real collectables never back to the police station property books.

Its funny you mention ghost guns, they really ARE a problem here in NY. A few dipsheets were buying a ton of P80 lowers, building them and then sending them off to the streets. It seems we cant go a week here without seeing a news article about somebody getting busted for an unregistered, homemade gun built on a P80 or similar unfinished lower. Fuggin hoodboogers ruined it for us homebuilders here in NY.

#13 ·
I read the article.

What he turned in doesn't matter.....

The generally dumb anti-gun public isn't going to scrutinize the contents of the picture. All they see is a bunch of specimens in a box that look like guns, and are being reported as being guns.

If they were cardboard cutouts with magic marker details on them, the propaganda value is all the same.
Do you not understand that this is a propaganda war to turn public sentiment against guns?

#14 ·
I don't see the harm in handing in a turd, taking their money, and buying yourself some ammo. These events are going to happen if we exploit them or not.

Your efforts to resist the propaganda battle or far more effective in other ways than avoiding the buy back event. Volunteer to support a youth/women's shooting program.

Personally, I wouldn't turn anything in, but I don't take issue with those who do. I'm more interested in hanging around outside and trying to save the few good items that are headed in.

#15 ·
I don't see the harm in handing in a turd, taking their money, and buying yourself some ammo. These events are going to happen if we exploit them or not.

Your efforts to resist the propaganda battle or far more effective in other ways than avoiding the buy back event. Volunteer to support a youth/women's shooting program.

Personally, I wouldn't turn anything in, but I don't take issue with those who do. I'm more interested in hanging around outside and trying to save the few good items that are headed in.
That's because you do not have the courage of your convictions (if you have any convictions at all).

You are riding the fence, seeking temporary personal benefit and trying to clandestinely dodge the ultimate torpedo that will eventually sink your entire ship.

WAKE UP!!!

#20 ·
Sorry Finalygotabeltfed, I have to agree with Josh1ofakindxj on this one. I think gun people should be going out of their way to turn in crap to use up the money. Once they run out of money, these things end. If you are tossing them 3D printed crap and rusted broken junk, you are keeping them from continuing to use that money to buy good guns to destroy. Plus you are taking worthless junk and turning it into money you can use to buy more guns. People will turn in guns, this has been proven out. The question is what kind of guns are they getting. This proves its a waste of money, which is the point. You can not stop them from filling a box with guns. However you can run them out of money, hopefully.

Being from Maryland, your point often comes up at my range. Oh we have to worry about the propaganda and they way things look. So they were worried about normal silhouette targets making it looking like we were shooting at people. Of course if the liberal paper gets ahold of pictures of locals practicing shooting at people, that would look bad! So they banned full size Silhouettes at my range for years and only allowed reduced size silhouettes. I permanently ended this. I told them they were so worried about the image they banned what could be viewed at legitimate self protection training and replace it with people shooting "Child size" human silhouettes. They don't have to worry about the local liberal paper talking about people training to shoot people because now they can talk about the people at my range "training to shoot children"! Well it all about stunned the meeting and forever ended that debate. Liberals will twist things the way they need to make their point. You can't stop them from doing so. All you can do is point out how stupid it is and this 3D printed box of stupid toy guns about proves the point!

#30 ·
It doesn't matter that you or they are turning in a worthless or non-working gun.

It doesn't matter what you or they do with the money they give you.

It doesn't matter if the "gun" you turn in was hastily made from gas pipe and framing lumber or 3D printed out of plastic.
The ones running the "buyback" don't care how much they spend, it's not their money.

They're not interested in getting guns "off the streets" because they know what they're getting was never on the streets.

They do it for the "money shot" of a police chief or two standing behind a table full of scary looking guns.

Their goal is to propagandize and frighten the masses into voting for their perpetual anti-gun agenda.
If you participate in any way, you've helped them and you're the worst kind of freedom hater.

#32 ·
You both make valid points on the action itself but you’re stepping in much deeper waters by making the accusations of others character because of a different read on the situation.

I think the more items turned in just increases their funding for the next go round. “We ran out of money before the line was over!!” And the like

but this doesn’t make Kirby and the rest ignorant or bad by just seeing the other side of the argument or placing as much value to it.

#33 · (Edited)
Sure it happens anyway, that is a given. The gun community has no control over that. Those putting on the gun buybacks have basically unlimited funding and even minimal take ins is good enough to do it again....the cops working those "buybacks" aren't there voluntarily, most of them are on overtime pay....what's not to like on their end?

What the gun community DOES have control over is their own honor and integrity. And by that I mean not selling that honor and integrity for a few bucks, when doing so exponentially helps those who are working against them.

It's kind of like not selling or giving ammunition to your enemy who will shoot you with it in the next firefight.

#35 ·
the fact of the matter is that gun buy backs are a win-win for BOTH sides of the political spectrum:
the anti 2a will say that if even one firearm that would otherwise be used in a crime resulting in injury/death got turned in it will be worth it. an the flip side, clearing out the scrap iron to buy new stuff is just fine. most of these type of buybacks are intended to lure out "library" guns, what this means is those guns hidden in a drain pipe, under a house, etc. that may already have been used in crimes but kept for communal or gang use. along comes "crack head" mo' who only wants somr cash and happens to know where one may be hidden, presto...one more off the streets. as for "johnie" tuning in grandpa's prized 1921 Thompson for $50...well he deserves to lose it!!! gun ignorant possessors (as the libs want us all to be) are just an accident away from a statistic that can be used against ALL of us! so in the grand scheme of things it means very little either way.

#40 ·
Its funny how people from all sides of the political spectrum view laws and government. Everyone wants to claim to be a law abiding American until a law comes out that they dont like, then suddenly its like "F the Govt, I do what I want, nobody is gonna make me do so and so" and then they go back to driving the speed limit and paying taxes and shopping at Walmart.

#43 ·
This debate reminds me of an old tactic someone suggested to hit them in their wallet. In the mid to late 90s, the Brady Campaign used to send out their fundraising literature with postage paid envelopes so that you could mail them back a donation check without having to use your own postage. I don't know if anyone ever did the following, but I read a newsletter back then where someone suggested filling boxes with worthless junk (bricks, cinderblocks, rusted rotors, etc), and putting the postage paid envelopes on the boxes to send back to them. The goal being to bankrupt them via exorbitant shipping costs. I think this approach would be much more effective than 3D printed junk. And it deprives them of a photo op.

#44 ·
..... filling boxes with worthless junk (bricks, cinderblocks, rusted rotors, etc), and putting the postage paid envelopes on the boxes to send back to them. The goal being to bankrupt them via exorbitant shipping costs. I think this approach would be much more effective than 3D printed junk. And it deprives them of a photo op.
Sure, got any postage paid letters? Must we only do one thing? We can't do both?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.