1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this WWII Russian 82mm mortar at the Knob Creek show. It is a Model BM43 from what I can tell. They used this model in the battle of Stalingrad.
Even found the correct mortar sight for it there. I will use my black powder tube I had made previously for my other mortar when I want to fire this but in the meantime I will have a dummy barrel to display with it. I cleaned and painted it as it had moss all over it, yes I know I ruined the natural camouflage.
CaptMax

·
Registered
475 Posts
Found this WWII Russian 82mm mortar at the Knob Creek show. It is a Model BM43 from what I can tell. They used this model in the battle of Stalingrad.
Even found the correct mortar sight for it there. I will use my black powder tube I had made previously for my other mortar when I want to fire this but in the meantime I will have a dummy barrel to display with it. I cleaned and painted it as it had moss all over it, yes I know I ruined the natural camouflage.
CaptMax

Nice score CaptMax! I looked at this a few times, and was quite intrigued. Glad to see it made it's way to a good home! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ABCB, I will repaint it to match the olive color of the Maxim when I get a chance.
This was a trial run with rattle cans.:rofl:
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
6,037 Posts
Great score Captmax that is going to be a very cool display piece and one that most guys do not have in the stable. I love the unusual stuff like this it really makes the hobby fun.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
"Something to put beside the Maxim."

I said that once and ended up with another Maxim but that all started with something to put beside the Vickers. :)

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! How did i miss that beauty?! What did you give for it if you don't mind me asking?
They were hidden under a table and covered with moss, sort of camouflaged you might say. Most everything was frozen up but with a little bit of Kroil it all came loose and started working. The internal moving parts (screw jack & windage rod) had a beautiful bluing still on them. It folds up quite compactly too. The guy was selling them for $300 unless you were a vendor, in which case he gave a better deal. He even had the correct mortar sights on his table and didn't even know they went with these until I pointed it out to him. Apparently the Yugoslavians used these after the war as well. It will look even better once I get the time to smooth out the pitting and paint it to match the Maxim. I'm starting a WWII Russian display now in the war room. :D
CaptMax

·
Registered
735 Posts
82mm. 41 or 43 model, I can't tell the bipods apart.

These take the standard soviet 82mm cup, looks a lot like the M-1 81mm US, except that the firing pin screws in from the inside. The barrel is mostly the same as the standard 82mm barrel, except that the "ring" pattern For the clamps is a bit different, as I recall. They also take a different baseplate than the earlier model.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

CaptMax

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn for $300 , I dont think I could resist either.
Hard to find anything Russian from WWII that is decent, let alone a mortar for $300. Unfortunately he had only a couple left when my friend and I each bought one, and I know he isn't getting anymore. He said he had hundreds at one time but only got 50 base plates with them and about 10 of the mortar sights at the same time. Marstar has the sights for $100.
Never seen them offered for sale elsewhere so I am not sure where they all went.
Like I said before he even had the mortar sights and didn't even know they went to these until I pointed it out to him. Guess there were some deals there if you looked hard enough. Most everyone was walking right past these, I know I did until my friend came back with one. :D
Once it is painted to match the Maxim I bet it will look great. I will fill in the pitting marks at that time but I just wanted to stop it from rusting and be sure I could get everything moving on it again. This is why it was sandblasted and primed it when I got home with it. Now the hunt for the missing base plate.
Guess I will need a DP28 to go with the Ruski display now. :rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update as I now have it painted the correct Soviet color.
I did spend the time and smoothed out the pits left from the rust on the wheels.
It looks pretty decent now. :D
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Looks great, what is the source of your paint?

Was this mortar in the corner display on the road that goes around the range building?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks great, what is the source of your paint?

Was this mortar in the corner display on the road that goes around the range building?
No it wasn't Kirby, that guy still has his US 81mm for sale.
This was under a table and camouflaged with real dirt, rust, and moss.:eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
No it wasn't Kirby, that guy still has his US 81mm for sale.
This was under a table and camouflaged with real dirt, rust, and moss.:eek:
CaptMax
Thanks. Where did you find the paint for it? I have a Sokolov mount I need to paint.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. Where did you find the paint for it? I have a Sokolov mount I need to paint.
I had an automotive shop match the paint to the Maxim guns original paint. It was a custom mixed color.
Most automotive paint shops are able to match paint provided you can supply them with a 3"x3" section of painted material you need matched.
CaptMax

1 - 20 of 29 Posts