1919 A4 Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thompson, very nice collection of chest's there. Could I talk you out of 1 M5:D . I know none are for sale but help a poor guy out pretty plllleeeeaaassseeee!

Can I ask what the dimensions of the box are, so if I see one in the future I will know. People around here are bad to take things painted a lovely shade of OD and paint it yellow or something.

Now back to the first plead of this post, I have things to trade out of collection of my old army and Marine Corps stuff.:D

Thanks Again for posting, Chris

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hello,
I dont really want to get rid of any right now. I did have a few extras over the years that I sold. They seem to be somewhat available here on the east coast at the mil. vehicle shows. Most people just think they are an old army tool box and you get them for 15 or 20 bucks. Actually, thats all they really look like. It was probably an off the shelf tool box made back in the day and the army just adopted it. The dimensions are 16long x 7wide x 7 1/4 tall. Many of the ones that you find are a little ratty or missing the tray. Many have leather handles that tend to take a beating too. Keep looking..they are around!
As for the armorers tool box, I have only seen one other besides the two that I have. I would love to have a complete one with all the tools and gauges but it would probably cost a fortune to fill. Right now they are the storage boxes for my extra bmg and other gun parts.

Thompsongunner

·
Registered
770 Posts
Right out of the SNL.

CHEST, tool, empty, commercial design, w/tray, w/single
key change and two keys (type A) 7 x 7 x 16 in. (C. R.
Steel 0.025 (24 ga.) ( STAX1B modified)..........................

Craig

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Here should be the pictures of the M1 Armorers chests that I have as well as a couple shots of some M5 chests.

Thompsongunner
The M5 Chest is also listed in the SNL for the M1 Rifle as the armorers tool chest. I had several of them years ago and some Garand collectors snatched them up. All had the leather handles and the narrow tray on top.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I am going to resurect this thread again so I can ask A question to the collectors(hoarders). I am still aquiring a few bits here and there and almost done with this kit but I am tryying to find the following.

3-asst drifts/punches(.08,.12,.18 Dia)

The above drifts look nothing like most available current punches so I am trying to locate some vintage punches in these diameters unless can help me locate US issue items. Any help appreciated.

Also, as I read through the machine gunners manual, one of the accessories listed in the inspection layout is a paulin. Am I correct in assuming this is referring to the cover for the M3A4 handcart?

Hopefully Craig will read this and be able to answer this last question.

Another question I have is what cart would be aproppiate for the 1940-41 time frame with USMC, and the m1917a1. Just curious.

This collecting never stops does it?:D

Chris

·
Registered
770 Posts
Some time ago I came across some punches on EBAY. I purchased three in the wrapping from him. He couldn't find the box in the picture, but I saved the photo.

What I received N.O.S. in the wrapping.

I bought these from another guy. I will be sending you an email of the guy who might have more. I didnt get the package either.

I picked up this up on EBAY also (the one without the tag). The guy described it as something his Dad or Grandpa brought back from the war. You know the old story. I dont believe he put it together. Im sure it was commandeered or bought surplus. What is nice about it is the light color and the same snaps on WW1 and 1930's dated gear I have. All the punches came inside the envelope.

.........................................................................Top one is a Boyt 42

ENVELOPE, spare parts, one button, M1 (4 x 3 in.). C59696

1st & 2nd punches....PUNCH, drive pin, o.18 in. pt., 3 in. long...TCFX2F

3rd & 4th punches......PUNCH, drive pin, 0.12 in. pt., 3 in. long...TCFX2H

5th Punch.................PUNCH, drive pin, 0.08 x 3/4 pt., 3 in. long...TCFX2K

6th..........................I think I looked it up at one time ,but dont recall the name. It should be the center punch that was used to peen nuts and other gun parts to keep them in place. You get the idea.

Oh Ya. Not trying to say these punches were stored in the M1 envelope they just came to me that way. In SNL A-5 1941 they are supposed to be stored in the M12 tool roll.

I will work on the other questions but I better post this before I hit delete and loose 30 minutes of my time.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Craig, Great reference material as always. I've been scouring your site lately and I am amazed at some of the items in your collection. I know some are images pulled of the net , but I really enjoyed the pics of your war room with the carts. Very envious here. Chris

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I will work on the Marine Cart answer later. have somethings to try and finish. I have over 10,000 photos on Smugmug. Yes there are allot of photos that are not mine, but a vast majority are mine or scanned from my collection of books. Its kind of my online open to the public personal file. I should have done a better job of labeling the photos as I upload them,but I didnt and probably never will.

My War room has changed several times this year I just cant seem to get it right. I have to arrange it so I can squeeze in 10 Carts and a couple of Military Bicycles. Im going to make it work somehow. I will post pictures when its done.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Just reposted the original pix that I had deleted.

Chris

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm trying to build one of these boxes. Starting out with pine to make sure I can.
Is there no lock frame that goes in the parts box? It looks like everything else is in there?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
No lock frame in the spare parts SNL. I scanned an SNL a5 years ago and posted it No idea if it is still around . I found it on several reenactors forums paperwork sites later. But the SNL'S the info on what is considered to be important enough to be in the box. I am sure each squad leader tweaked that list through the war years as experience required. I will Try to update the pix when I reload the originals to a new host

Chris

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You are welcome sir! I forgot about the photobucket fiasco where they were originally hosted.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts