1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to be a big supporter of SG up untill today. I use to promote getting lots of stuff from them but not any more. I am going to do a C&P and a link to the other site where I did my first post. I had heard a few bad stories about them now here is mine.

Here is the main link: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=205972&

07-04-06
So I ordered a buch of ammo from Sportsmans guide online, then get an email saying I got too much. Anyone else ever have this problem? Heres what happend, I order ammo evey month when the new coupons come out. This month I was making my order and then was given a special offer of free shipping if I renewed my membership right now. When I did my initial membership the online system told me when I ordered too much for the "free" shipping deal. So I ordered 7 cases of 7.62x39, 5 cases .223 and 2 cases of .22lr and it still said free shipping. The online system took the order and "confirmed" it with totals.

Now I get this email from SG: "Thank you for the recent order. At this time your order has been identified as being a large quantity order. We are more than happy to accept your order but there are limitations which would need to be explained. The large quantity orders are not eligible for our Buyer's Club membership, which includes as a benefit the four payment plan. Your Buyer's club membership would be cancelled from your account as it would no longer be eligible on any future order under the large quantity account. Also there would be a thirty day limited return policy for the merchandise and all items would be charged at the regular catalog prices.
Also, due to the weight of your order 596 lbs, we need to charge total shipping $280.57
Please contact us to approve these guidelines and charges."

I can find nowhere on their site that says anything about "large quanity accounts". Unless I am wrong most places give bigger discounts on large orders. If they want to cancel my membership, that is their choice. I made an order and their system took it do I have an kind of "legal" resouce to help me? Is this something for the BBB or someone like them? Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

07-05-06
I do see you point here frog but I am not sure I totaly agree. I am not sure how ordering the same ammount of ammo through the year vs at one time would cost the company less. If I order a case a month and use their coupon I basicaly end up with free shipping one each order. Doing it that way they have to take the time to process each order and keep track of it which costs them time and money for each order. I still end up with the same ammount of ammo and it costs the company more man hours to deal with which costs money.

Say it takes 10 min (easy number to work with) to deal with a single small order, taking the order, packing it and shipping it. Now if you have 12 people order a case each it would take 2 man hours to deal with. A single 12 case order will take a little longer then single order, but nowhere near the same ammout of time as 12 single orders saving the company money. By buying in larger volume the company is able to make larger orders from their suppliers again costing them less.

There are a few problems I have with all this which I dont feel I stated well. First this is a single order but due to backorder status I seems that it will be comming in 3 orders, the 2 cases of .22 now, the 5 cases of .223 some time next month, and the 7 cases of 7.62x39 in September sometime. I normaly make orders of 2-4 cases with none of these problems. I am not totaly impressed with the email either. If I had recived one that said hey I know this order was placed and "confirmed" but we need to talk about the shipping that would be one thing. I get a letter that says Hey your ordered so much that you cant be a member and by the way it is going to be $300 so contact us and say it is ok. Well it isnt ok.
I do feel fairly strongly that I am right about this, but I am not one to be an ass either because that is not who I am. If I am really that wrong and someone can prove it to me I will listen.

07-07-06
Well unless anyone has any ideas aparently they dont want my business. I finally got in touch with a supervisor today and here is the answer I got. What she said was that after I made a "large quanity" order, but still was not able to tell me exactly what that is, it was sent up to "management" for review. In the "review" it was determined that the orders I made could not be for personel use and that they were not a wholesale company. I told her that it was in fact for my own use and asked if there was any way I could prove it. She told me that there was no way to change my status as a "Commercial Account" from now on. So I asked her why a good customer that has spent thousands of dollars would be treated like this and she had no good answer. So I asked her why they didnt value me as a customer and again she couldnt answer that. Most answers refer back to "that is our policy" was the best answer I could get. Finally I asked her if they would like to fill my order as placed (about $2000) or if they would like to loose me as a good customer. She said due to "policy" she couldnt do that. I told her they had lost my business and she had no problem with that, didnt even get the standard "sorry to loose you" line, just "ok, have a nice day". I think I will write a letter just for kicks to the the head of the company and see what they have to say, but I am not holding my breath. I have already been told I dont mean anything to them by their day shift supervisor.

So for those of you who choose to do business with them keep you order size in mind. They said once you get listed as a "Commercial Account" that will never change.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Looks to me like it all hinges on the free shipping offer. I'm sure they didn't expect a $300.00 free gift expense :)

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
SG and ammo

I have had a very dim view of SG due to some quality issues on boots and clothing items, so haven't ordered anything from them in two or three years. Started looking for 7.62x39 (like a lot of other folks, apparently) in Spam cans for long term storage. A SG catalog showed up about two months ago with that item listed so I held my breath, joined their buyers club and order ten cases.

About three weeks later I got backorder notices on ten orders of one case each which I replied to, asking to be kept on backorder. I figured the fun was just starting, but no further contact from them

Three weeks after that the UPS guy staggers up the walk with five very heavy boxes. I got the ammo at a good price - it had gone up significantly in their catalogs during the intervening two months, but they gave me the original price - with no additional shipping charges and it was nicely double boxed.

Go figure. Now all I have to deal with is the constant barrage of buyers club advertisements. Maybe eleven cases is the magic number for alarm bells to go off over shipping. Anyway, bottom line is I got what I ordered at a fair price, but I still feel like I dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes they got me with a free shipping Coupon,told me not to use it over and over....I belive Ordering over and over is good Buissines? O well Mr. Olen build it all up from scratch and now his kids are running it in to the Ground

·
Registered
146 Posts
SG sucks...the sooner people wise up to thier piss poor products, customer service and bait/switch ads the sooner they will go away. This is far from the first time I have heard of them doing this on large orders. They have told other customers you bought too much stuff, so we can't sell to you anymore?? WTF???

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi All

I have not ordered anything from SG, but just couldn't place and order because of their shipping policies. It seems that the PPSH kit I was looking at can't be shipped to CT. CT has this dumb law about selling dummy modern guns (but it is not illegal to own one, just sell it to anyone), and I guess this is what prompted SG to put CT on the non-ship to list.

I wrote customer service a note that stated that there was no law against selling the kit to me, but it was their right to discriminate against anyone they wanted to.

Bottom line. I have never done business with them, and never will!

Jim

·
Registered
224 Posts
picked up your rant and agree 100% !

With restrictive policies like that and a unwilling to compromise stance to boot, SG is off my buying list REGUARDLESS of how good of deal that I could get.

Free shipping is exactly that, FREE! If SG has to ship in several orders to stay within any possible weight guidlines than that is what has to happen. it really doesn't make any difference if 12 cases are sold to 12 persons and shipped free, or several cases are shipped seperatly to one person for free. It still costs the company the same amount. SG is trying to use this as a crutch, and guess what, it doesn't work, nor does it make any sense in the least.

As far as commercial? Was this going to a buisness address or not? If not then there is absolutly NO WAY that this can be considered a "buisness" or "commercial" transaction. Another crutch knocked out - seems SG is out of crutches!

I am with you 100 % on this - David

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, it was being shipped to my home, as I do not have a business. I have never owned a business. I asked if there was any way to prove that it was for personal use since what she said to me was "orders of this size CAN NOT be for personal use". I was told there was no way. As many of you guys know ~20,000 rounds is not that much. I use to think that I had a pretty good pile with 10-15,000 untill I started seeing some of you with 100,000 + round counts :D, someday I can be like that too. If you do the math it is easy 3x30rd mags = ~100rds which = only 10 loads per case :( that isnt much.

·
Registered
237 Posts
SG is a JOKE!! They keep sending me their catalogue since I bought a mg42 ground mount years ago,(paid 250.00 for like new H/K w/light&scope)that shows how long it has been. I would say that 99% of what I might be interested in, they won't send to commiefornia, even though it is perectly legal here! SO, I say just let those catalogues keep coming, (at their EXPENSE), and I will keep fileing them in the round file(TRASH can). They will keep alienating their customers untill they have NON!! I will laugh when they go under!!!!!!!!!Couldn't be soon enough for ME!!! dellque

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I only buy from SG cause I live near the store and can walk in. But I have never been in there without wanting to punch one or more of their employees. What ever they are paying the unhelpful SOBs , its too much.

·
Registered
454 Posts
...SG was afraid they sold the ammo too cheaply. Since you didn't have a signed contract, they could and did renege. But it's bait and switch, a dishonest tactic and I'm glad you let us in on it. I too have ordered things from their catalog that weren't as described, and they have refused catalog choices that their catalog does not restrict. Just as they do, I can make my rules up as I go along. I don't buy from them now. :cool:

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Dave B - Great Lakes Arms said:
Yes, but only the linked, still waiting on the 150rd loose cans. Says Aug 8 expected delivery for the loose FMJ.
I just got a back order of loose in can ball ammo - waited 5 weeks. Waiting 4 weeks for some .223 and I got a notice it will be another 3 weeks. Hmmmm!

I also make every effort to order just over $100.00 for each coupon I have and use every coupon I can get - 4 coupons....4 orders..... They have not stopped me to date, but who knows how long that will continue. As long as they deliver I'm in - when I get the soft shoe from their CS department, they get the hard boot! :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had the same problem with these guys, ordered a bunch of stuff, added ammo because there shipping is based on price and it wouldn't increase the shipping significantly on my order. they took order, then didn't ship due to local regulations (which there are none). I called and complained, they said they would take care of it, they shipped ammo, and charged full amount as if new order. I called and complained, they told me basically no. I talked to a supervisor, who if one of my employees would shovel **** til the end of time, told me basically I was out of luck. My credit card company did too after examining their policies, which they did not violate.

So, only order ammo from them, if you don't have to join the buyer's club to make it a good deal, and you don't have to order anything else to make a single case or item of ammo a good deal. That way, they have to ship it for that price or not. Otherwise they can cancel the other items and stick you with the ammo shipping fee.

I used to be a buyer's club member, order a bunch of stuff, but now, I hesistate and only go for deals that are sure winners no matter what.

JW

·
Watercooled Addict
2,092 Posts
What 20,000 rounds cant be for personal use???? I ran that much in 3 days last april at the creek. MORONS. There are better places to spend your hard earned money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts