1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the RH plate, cams and pintle pad, these are ALL BA parts. Looking forward to getting this build done.
B033DE6B-618A-4728-81C4-4CFE681CD54A.jpeg

·
Registered
218 Posts
Isn't that a 1917 rear? And if you don't mind me asking, who's doing your internals? I am waiting on another kit and will need mine done as well

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,030 Posts
I wasn't aware of a 1919 back plate with wood or plastic grips. Learn something new every day
It's a common misconception. The truth is that this is just the standard back plate style, manufactured throughout WWII. It was made by Rock Island, Buffalo Arms, Border Cities Industries and (early on) even Saginaw Steering Gear. Both Bakelite panels and one-piece aluminum grip were made. Occasionally you see wood panels too. Buffalo Arms can be found both ways, as can early Saginaw and many unmarked of indeterminate manufacture. Rock Island didn't mark them. BCI I have only seen with Bakelite.

The confusion comes in because, as the war progressed, Saginaw was developing the ArmaSteel cast parts, including two back plate models, the common large and the short one as well. As the Ordnance Dept approved the design and manufacture, Saginaw put these into production. Not sure when it first appeared, but the cast back plates were produced in great quantities by Saginaw, and they produced something like 350,000 1919s during the war. This dwarfs the combined output of the other mfgs. So, the cast back plates sort of became associated with the 1919A4, but all mfgs other than Saginaw continued to issue the old style back plate to the end of production. So, the BA in the OP's picture is a fairly common find, as they made many spares beyond gun production. Unmarked ones are common, BCI fairly rare and you occasionally find them with a little flaming bomb on top, indicative of Saginaw manufacture. Or, that is my belief from study and observation.

Nice BA parts set, by the way!

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Nice looking BA kit, welcome to the small but happy group of BA addicts. If you need the complete list of all the BA marked parts that were marked let me know. Lucky13 and myself have compiled and added to this as we found things over the years so it is very complete minus a unicorn or two. Fell free to reach out anytime should you have questions of if you need any help and if you are anywhere near Rochester, NY you are welcome to come to my shop and use the tooling for the BA rivet profile. Russ AKA "the BA mafia"

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
PM sent and this thread is perfect timing because after 10 or so years I have just put the BA twins on my bench to get moving on them finally! After helping out so many others with BA builds the past ten years I figured it was time to get my butt and gear and get the twins done.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Can’t believe it is true, it’s about time you give birth to those twins!!! :LOL::LOL:
CaptMax

1 - 9 of 9 Posts