·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fired my 1919a4 yesterday for the first time with the AA booster on it
and had a few observations. The AA booster is for a 30-06, had a bigger
exit hole tha the standard .308 booster, but yet it worked flawlessly on
my .308 gun. I also noticed that the AA booster produced less recoil
than the standard booster did. The gun seemed to just sit there and fire.
No tripod jump at all. Keeping it on target was easy. I like the traditional
look of the gun withthe standard booster on it, but like how the
AA booster lessens the overall recoil of the gun.
I think its great. Now i dont have to have the AA booster redone
for the .308 hole.

Anyone else have the same results with theirs??

KyAKGuy

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,166 Posts
All can say say is this: if it functions with the larger 30-06 booster orfice then use that and you will reduce the beating the gun gets. For a semi where the cyclic rate is a non issue there is no need for anything else so long as the gun functions. The larger the orfice the better. For FA it mght be different as cyclic rate then becomes a factor.

Sounds as if you have two dfferent styles of booster as well as the caliber issue. You can probably get the other style booster in the either caliber for the appearance you want.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK then, what about this idea.

Can the opening on the standard booster be opened so it will recoil less
and still work reliabily? Or might a 30-06 booster work on the gun as is?

KyAKGuy

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,166 Posts
You could experiment with the "standard" booster but I would open up the orifice a little at a time and try it. By "standard" are you referring to the two piece variety, where the tapered body serves as the bearing with the detachable end cap that has the booster orifice? If so, you can get the booster cap in the .718 size for 30-06.

The other style booster has a step from the jacket end and a straight wall to muzzle end, all in one piece. Not sure which style you have in which diameter.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
My .308's will not cycle(they short cycle) with a 30-06 booster. I am wondering if maybe your ammo is more powerful than what I am using. Because I am sure that if the 30-06 booster worked flawlessly why would the military do research and come up with a smaller hole for the .308? But if my gun worked with the larger hole that is what I would use.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
In my experience a .308 that wont run without a .50 (.308 size) booster orifice is not properly broken in/run in. Or something is binding somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
HottAK47 said:
In my experience a .308 that wont run without a .50 (.308 size) booster orifice is not properly broken in/run in. Or something is binding somewhere.
Hott, run that by me again please...maybe I'm just too retarded to understand what you said. The ".50 (308 size)" thing is throwing me off. Do you mean (30-06 size) maybe and that a 308 gun that won't run with an '06 booster is not broken in or is binding?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I think he saying that the .308 booster hole is slightly larger than a half of an inch, whereas the 30-06 hole is .718. If your gun is all perfectly square and machined to fine tolerances, assembled perfectly and ETC. it will work with the .718(30-06) type booster. Hell he might be right! But I find it hard to accept that the Israelis(they engineer some cost efficent, well made and functioning things) would bother modifing the front booster unless they were experiencing cycling/reliability issues. Having said all that if my gun with a 30-06 booster worked I would use that and I might think my gun is better made than one that requires more power(smaller booster hole) to cycle the action. All I know is all 3 of my 1919's work well and I have alot of fun with them. Again thanks Lobo for your fine tutorials!

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
I think I got it now.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,166 Posts
I believe that, beyond the mere functioning aspect of the booster orifice size, is the cyclic rate issue. I think members of this board have shown over time that some 308 guns will cycle and some will not with the .718 diameter. But we are mostly dealing with semi auto. I think that the Israelis were also addressing full auto cyclic rate as well as reliable functioning.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Luke said:
I think he saying that the .308 booster hole is slightly larger than a half of an inch, whereas the 30-06 hole is .718. If your gun is all perfectly square and machined to fine tolerances, assembled perfectly and ETC. it will work with the .718(30-06) type booster. Hell he might be right! But I find it hard to accept that the Israelis(they engineer some cost efficent, well made and functioning things) would bother modifing the front booster unless they were experiencing cycling/reliability issues. Having said all that if my gun with a 30-06 booster worked I would use that and I might think my gun is better made than one that requires more power(smaller booster hole) to cycle the action. All I know is all 3 of my 1919's work well and I have alot of fun with them. Again thanks Lobo for your fine tutorials!
Thank you for translating what I said into something understandable. What I meant to say is that I see some 1919s that wont run with a larger orfice. These same 1919s seem to run slugishly WITH the Izzy booster. My idea is that if one machine will run correctly with a certan set up then any other machine will run the same, given the same set of circumstances.

Also, I got no problem with running a .308 booster on a 30-06 or 8mm on one of my own personal 1919s. Dont try this at home.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Luke said:

The Israelis went with a smaller orifice because they wanted a much higher cyclic rate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts