1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a lot of 556/223, several years ago, many were shooting steel case russian rounds in AR/M16, after several hundred rounds of steel case rounds, then you shot a brass case round/ or sometimes steel case round, you would get a casing stuck in the chamber. I haven't heard any mention of a stuck casing with the 54R round in the 1919. I've shot a few 54R (couple thousand rounds)still a greenhorn), has anyone experienced casing's getting stuck in the 1919?

Just curious, not concerned, having a ton of fun with the 54R round.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sticking a 7.62x54R round is unlikely as the taper on the casing is more acute and it chambers and extracts more easily.

Same goes for the 7.62x39 round. Compare the tapers of both to that of a .223/5.56 round and you'll see the marked difference.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
As I remember the steel 556 case issue was that the shelac on some of the cases was sticking to the inside of the chamber when really hot and then causing problems later when brass cased ammo was fired it would stick in the chamber and the weaker brass rim would tear off. The problem in the 556 was resolved when most manufacturers of steel cased ammo went to a higher temp polymer coating and dropped the shelac. I still have some of the brown bear that has shelac coating, its thick and shiney and flakes off with a pocket knife, the polymer on wolf and tula is more of a dull sheen and near impossible to scrape off

I have never had any problem in my pkm when switching between steel and brass cased ammo, but none of my 54r has that shiney shelac.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts