1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a magazine loader for a Steyr MPi 69/81 magazine? The same magazines are also used by the AUG 9mm conversion. I have a pre sample MPi 81 that shoots great, but loading the magazines is a real pain-in-the-a$$. My various other magazine loaders will not fit the Steyr's trapezoidal magazine cross section.

Isosceles Trapezoid

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
How do the Steyer mags compare in shape to the UZI or MP-5 mags .
I can't remember which one of them is trapezoid shaped or am I thinking of MAC mags?

I have some goofy loader that uses white plastic cards .
I haven't used it in a while so I can't remember exactly the shape of it one was for HK 9mm mags the other for uzi 9mm mags.
GW

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do the Steyer mags compare in shape to the UZI or MP-5 mags .
I can't remember which one of them is trapezoid shaped or am I thinking of MAC mags?
I have some goofy loader that uses white plastic cards .
I haven't used it in a while so I can't remember exactly the shape of it one was for HK 9mm mags the other for uzi 9mm mags.
GW
The MPi mags are not like either Uzi or MP5 mags. Both of these have a rectangular cross section while the MPi mags have an Isosceles trapezoidal cross section. The rear of the mag cross section is wider than the front. I don't have a MAC so I have no idea what their mags are like.

the smith 76/ Swedish K mags have a similar shape. I have one of those cammenga loaders for that. Haven't messed with the aug 9mm kits yet, but it would be nice if that fit those too. Back in the day I used it for the 76 and it worked great and it's all here somewhere, if I have time this weekend I'll check it all out.
The AUG 9mm mags have an identical cross section to the MPi mags. The MPi mags work just fine in an AUG 9mm setup. The AUG 9mm 25 round mags will trip the bolt hold open on an empty mag while the MPi mags will not. Other than that the mags are identical. I have one of the original AUG FA 9mm kits and it works fine in my RR AUG. But, I find the AUG to be rather large and bulky for a 9mm sub gun. It cannot compare to an MP5. My MPi 81 handles very similar to an AUG. But it does have a faster ROF. It's a nice sub gun and is easy to handle.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, wouldn't you know it? I contacted Pete Athens and he has Steyr factory original MPi/AUG 9mm loaders in stock. I just got off the phone with him and ordered one to save my thumbs. For those who are interested, here is a picture of what they look like:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well first off thanks for spending me more money at Pete's, but I needed another item there anyhow.:) So the AUG9mm was right on top and as I suspected it is identical profile as the Swedish K mags except for the taper right at the top and of course the lockup, so it fit right in the Cammenga loader. That will be a HUGE time saver, but I'll still get 2 from Pete to go with the kits.
This $hit is habit forming. Isn't it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, wouldn't you know it? I contacted Pete Athens and he has Steyr factory original MPi/AUG 9mm loaders in stock. I just got off the phone with him and ordered one to save my thumbs. For those who are interested, here is a picture of what they look like:

Ok, where is Pete Athens located? I need a loader for MPi-69

·
Registered
589 Posts
Pete is a long time gem in the mg biz and has cut a unique corner in the gun world. Don't hesitate doing business with him. psj-steyraug.com.

I'm curious Dan if you tried a Soumi loader?
Ok, where is Pete Athens located? I need a loader for MPi-69

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pete is a long time gem in the mg biz and has cut a unique corner in the gun world. Don't hesitate doing business with him. psj-steyraug.com.
I'm curious Dan if you tried a Soumi loader?
Nope. I never tried a Soumi loader. Look above to see the MPi loader. All my pics are now on Post Image so I changed the link above.

And yes, the MPi mag loader works nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts