1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
It's worth less than $100 in scrap unless it has a bronze barrel support. Still, not worth it to scrap it. Plus if it has the requisite 1/2" of lead based paint on it, less value to a yard. J

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
It was probably a collector sick of seeing these guns rusting away and not being cared for!

I swear I am tempted all the time. I was just at Fort Howard in MD. Its an unknown Disappearing gun fort that protected Baltimore PreWWI. They have two cannons from the WWI era. One is Rusty. The other has a broken wheel and is fallen over and now lays in the dirt!

Also in center of Baltimore cross from the City hall is a huge WWI memorial building. Outside are German WWI heavy Mortars and field guns. All rusting away, not having been painted in years, full of bees. Wood wheels rotting away and covered with sheet steel.

Every time I see them, I want to steal them, just to keep them from rusting away into scrap!

From the pictures at this VFW, no one has bothered to paint it since 1976 when it got there.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
How to stop rust and decay

Would the best way to stop the rust and decay be to have a service company arrive on the scene? Restorations Are US is popular nation wide. Upon arrival the team works to free the piece from the display base. Depending on size of the project the field piece is carefully prepared for shipping and loaded into the vehicle or an enclosed trailer. Taken to another location where restoration will be completed discretely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts