1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first time poster here. Mostly lurk and trying to learn as much as I can. Hoping I will be able to start building within the next year or two and start contributing something to these forums.

I recently bought a partial kit. Came with an israeli left side plate with matching trunnion and an unusual lower plate. All three had the same finish. The lower plate looks thicker than normal ones I've seen and has seven holes instead of the usual and the holes don't line up with the side plate. It's hard to tell from the pictures because it's double stamped, but it says MD ORD on the bottom (Maryland Ordnance? anyone ever heard of them?). All the rest of the parts in my planned build are brand new from Iron Creations, Ohio Ordnance, and Halo.

Anyone know what this is? A piece for a prop gun? A bottom plate to some other Browning-like gun? The inner dimensions are standard so I plan on welding the holes and using it.

-Louis from Texas

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Interesting part

Interesting part, not familiar with MD Ord anything from an online search? I'm sure others will look and provide input to help. The stirrups are welded on and lack the broaching cuts for the tripod pin. The bottom is lacking the lightening cuts.
If you want to make your build more challenging this is one way to do it. Your sources parts are good, another is BMG. You will need a trigger and sear, KMP is the standard. KMP also has other helpful items such as right side plates, extractors, and new bottom plates.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Interesting part, not familiar with MD Ord anything from an online search? I'm sure others will look and provide input to help. The stirrups are welded on and lack the broaching cuts for the tripod pin. The bottom is lacking the lightening cuts.
If you want to make your build more challenging this is one way to do it. Your sources parts are good, another is BMG. You will need a trigger and sear, KMP is the standard. KMP also has other helpful items such as right side plates, extractors, and new bottom plates.

It does not appear to be a US Ordnance made bottom plate maybe someone made their own?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
It does not appear to be a US Ordnance made bottom plate maybe someone made their own?
Looks like. There may be at least 104 of them floating around if you can believe the numbering.

Incomplete, non penetrating weld on that stirrup seen on the right side. Can see the gap where it was ground away.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
That. is a dummy bottom plate, I don't recall the maker but maybe Jeff from Iron Creations will chime in as he knows who it is. I certainly would not use it on a live gun as they are not in spec nor were they intended to be. Russ

·
Registered
735 Posts
Did you buy this kit from a business, or a private party? That part is basically worthless, and you'll have to round up another to have a working gun. Bottom plates arent too cheap anymore. I'd ask for some money back, or a replacement part.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Yeah, if you did not get a killer low price on the kit, you should have a chat with the seller. I wouldn't build on a bottom plate that I didn't trust, and I would never trust one like that. Contact Tom or April at KMP and get a new made one that is done right. They are very reasonably priced, milled from billet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts