1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
The market for odd suppressors is pretty small so other than doing stuff just to do it most companies won't fiddle with production of anything when its only a few cans. I don't think I've done more than 5 or 6 in 15 years so you can see its not a big seller. It is a good niche market though when you're working with manual lathes.

Form 1 stuff like this is pretty ideal since there is nothing out there for you on the market. Just remember heat is the enemy. Light weight is meaningless on a tripod mounted gun so don't worry as much about keeping it light as you do about managing heat buildup. You don't need solid pipe by any means but don't skimp in the big heat affected areas like the blast chamber and first baffle. At 700 deg F most materials are about half or less of their original strength. Inconel will handle a lot more but its painful to machine. Stainless can be ok but use care in which alloy. Some are more suited to staying shiny than handling heat. Some will crack due to heat cycling causing hardening. Mild steel is good for this sort of thing as long as you keep the thickness of the tube proper for the pressure and heat. Even though you're thinking semi auto remember that with a belt feed you can run the temps up quickly and cooling happens slower than heating when you can just keep firing, even at a slower rate.

Frank

·
11,182 Posts
16.5" barrel threaded by ADCO. I have a lathe to take off weight as needed. will definitely be a trial and error method to find the right balance between weight and gas.
I feel like you are asking for advice and assistance but have no interest in the advice that is being given. you've already invested funds into having the barrel threaded but that doesn't mean you have to continue that path. others have offered their experience and discussions about both muzzle weight support and booster pressure needed for function.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Frank has some great experience and input here. Thanks for that. I was going to suggest that one way to overcome the recoil issue for cycling purposes is the reduce the barrel weight. This would increase the chances of overheating the barrel, but in a semi that may not matter unless you are looking to do a lot of rapid fire. You could use a shortened barrel jacket with a bearing set back from the muzzle, leaving exposed barrel to attach a suppressor, if you are determined to do it that way. It is worth mentioning that the original issue 1919A6 did not have a booster, and it did run. The only shortcoming was that it lacked belt lift. It ran, just with far less muscle than the A4, and that with a significantly lighter barrel profile. So, you may be able to make it work.

I don't intend to volunteer Jeff Prater for anything, lol, but he may have the ability to make a jacket of the length you need. If you want to retain the 24" barrel, something just a couple of inches shorter than stock on the jacket might work. Or, you could even use a 1919A6 jacket and a custom bearing for that. In either case, you will need to do some barrel work, between profiling and threading.
I use the TNW M230 Kit with an AAC 51T Adapter for my can, much like everything Lucky said, the barrel is very slimmed down, adding a can will add weight which i've noticed makes the action sluggish, i also have to use ammo thats at full power, anything a little weak wont run it.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I don't care what other guys say...I do like that setup...Just not enought to pay what they where asking when they came out....I am vary interested in that stock you have ....I have never seen one like that before....I thought TNW used a FN stock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't care what other guys say...I do like that setup...Just not enought to pay what they where asking when they came out....I am vary interested in that stock you have ....I have never seen one like that before....I thought TNW used a FN stock.
Much appreciated! The tnw does use an fn style stock, i have that one on a scoped longer range 1919. The stock is actually just an adapter from iron creations llc with a collapsible ar stock

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I get ya. I am still working on her to get it 100% reliable before adding the suppressor and diagnosing. Until I am 100%, I am doing homework to figure out the next obstacle. That is where I am in the process.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You are being very gracious and kind and only pointing out that it is way off. Definitely not a guide....no info, and for the last 4 years, nothing new from the company. dismal. I will try a shot at my ideas and share it.
Really, was this post necessary ?
All I was trying to do was be friendly and share a link . I never said it was a guide or informative just interesting !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I'm going to regret this, but what if you cut down the barrel and pretty much replaced that portion with a suppressor that had its muzzle necked down to match the original booster portion of the barrel? Not sure how long the suppressor could be and it would still need to fit in the ID of the jacket... but assuming there is enough room, it would retain the original look and should be pretty easy to make it run the same.
This was thought up before realizing you guys are trying to turn 1919s into rifles... and you would have to fight thermal expansion in the booster portion... but the gap needed could not be any worse than just letting the barrel hang.
Just a thought for someone else's plans.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a machinist/gunsmith buddy make me a new end cap for a two piece booster that threaded into an old gemtech can I had. The can is old and heavy duty, seldom used on anything else these days. It was originally a quick detach (bi-lock) can and I've removed the QD mount portion which left a large internal thread, perfect for the new booster cap.

In the end, it looked awesome, sounded pretty good, gun functioned great but had very light baffle strikes that caused the slightest bit of key holing. I think it would be fine if you made a form 1 can with a very generous bore.

just my 2 cents. Semi gun. full length .308 barrel with 30-06 size booster hole if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
There was one sold on Sturm probably10 years ago. The suppressor was mounted to the jacket. There was a video of it firing. It worked great. Rate of fire was fast, like ANM2 fast. Sounds like maybe one of Frank’s or somebody with the same idea.
definitely possible. Seen it. Sorry I can’t add more. Hmmmmm new project maybe.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
definitely possible. Seen it. Sorry I can’t add more. Hmmmmm new project maybe.
Yea , we will see your (Just built a suppresser} thread in a couple days 🤣 ....How about suppressing that Hotch....You already have a scope and stock on it 😉

21 - 39 of 39 Posts