1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered 4 cases of it so we shall see! I'll be picking it up in store so hopefully it's not trash

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I bought about 400 rounds of VERY similarly package ammo from Sportsmans Guide about 8 years ago. The boxes smelled of mildew and every round was a hangfire. I threw a fit with SG and they sent me another 400 that fired fine.....but Ill never trust it again. (And Im the guy who will fire Paki 308 with no regards)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, it was absolute garbage. Don't recommend wasting your money on this garbage. About 70% fire rate with the rest duds. And when it would run, the rate of fire was very wonky. Seemed to go slow to fast to very sputters.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Update, it was absolute garbage. Don't recommend wasting your money on this garbage. About 70% fire rate with the rest duds. And when it would run, the rate of fire was very wonky. Seemed to go slow to fast to very sputters.
Yeah, I though that packaging looked REALLY familiar. If I remember correctly, the 'mildly corrosive' means berdan primed so you cant even relaod it. (Much to my disappointment when my depriming got bent and I thought for sure I was doing something wrong.......)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the head stamp? S&B has multiple factories in Germany and the Czech Republic. Unfortunate that a usually reliable company makes garbage, storage issue?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the head stamp? S&B has multiple factories in Germany and the Czech Republic. Unfortunate that a usually reliable company makes garbage, storage issue?
It will be a while until I dig mine out, but I remember the boxes smelled very musty. Like 'damp basement' kind of musty and the ink on the boxes just looked faded.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanna give an update on this ammo. I took more out today and it all ran beautifully. I reset headspace and it worked.

I'm suspecting I had headspace opened up too much on the original outing which caused the wonky rate of fire.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Nice to hear that this appears to be ok for shooting. I was hoping the head stamp would be more consistent with the established norms to provide more information tying production to S&B. It does seem odd to use 308 WIN 79 with inter spaced O’s.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did notice one of the crates had been repacked with older stuff too.

ZV 69 7.62

The remaining 3 crates are all the 308W O O 79

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And what was crazy is in two separate boxes of the 69 dated stuff there was a german DAG nato marked round. So this stuff must of came out of Germany

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The ZV makes sense, head stamp information is:
Sellier & Bellot, Prague, Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic) Factory in Vlasim

·
Registered
316 Posts
I used up half a pallet of that ammo back in the early 90’s. Never had a single problem with it. Ran it in the M14, M60 and Mag58. Those were the good old days when a whole pallet of that stuff was only half of what the shipping costs were.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That was the same stuff we bought at the Creek about 15 years ago. $150 a 1000. Good looking ammo, clean, bright and ran great in our 1919's and G3's. After the night shoot we put the weapons away without cleaning them, and the next morning they were starting to turn orange. Corrosive stuff, but ran well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ZV 69 7.62mm was excellent ammo --35 years ago. I haven't shot any recently. The Vlasim factory was a well-organized, competent producer. I still have a few sealed cases, purchased when it was first imported by Bob Brenner (FedOrd) in the 1980s. The cases are stenciled "T65" and the cartridges are packed in pale blue unmarked 20-rd. boxes. The cartridges are brass-cased with the primers painted entirely black. Bullets have copper-plated steel jackets. It is Berdan-primed and corrosive.
The ammo proved to be reliable, and very accurate in bolt-action target rifles. It also shot well, with no problems, in a NATO-caliber MG42. Fired brass looked uniformly good and showed no stress. It is to be avoided in gas-operated guns; too much trouble to clean afterward.

M

1 - 17 of 17 Posts