1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just to describe it.
very impressive, thought i had seen it all but i did not.
these kind of events just give a moment of thought, about what happend after the liberation here
beeing a young kid, i always enjoyed the time i spent with my grandfather, when he talked about the ww2 periode
living in the netherlands, he and his family risq their lived when they kept a complete jewish family hidden in their home.
instead of their own family, they had an extra 5 mouths to feed, in a time food was very scarce and rationed
he also smuggled people from the resistance, allied pilots, acroos the border into belgium, were they were taken over by other groups
who continued getting to either england ore spain,
so my interesses about what happen between 1940 and 1945 in my country kep growing
today i went over to the city of MONS in belgium, for the annual parade with large numbers of military most ww2 vehicles
here,s the announcement they had over that via the internet
you can find other films by just searching for "tanks in town"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTEViH40dHE

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was in Bisley UK this year coaching the CAF National rifle team and managed to get tickets to TankFest.

Damn cool to see the only running Tiger 1 Tank in the world....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have been lucky enough to be able to work on a, M4 Sherman , and a M551 Sheridan, hopped a ride in a M60, M548, and a M901 over the past few years at a local museum I volunteer some time at.
The M60 was pretty roomy compared to the Sherman . They used the museums M60 tank to film a Megadeth video a few years back. I was along for the ride while filming.
it was called The Right to go Insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m20sJNgZ17U
It was based on the guy who stole a M60 tank down in San Diego and took it out for a little joy ride in the city and finally out on the freeway.
Didn't end well for him he forgot to combat latch the turret hatch.
The Sherman has a very unique sound at idle.
All of them made the ground shake when they went by.
I can only imagine what it would be like to see a whole armored column of multiples of anything passing by.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was in Bisley UK this year coaching the CAF National rifle team and managed to get tickets to TankFest.

Damn cool to see the only running Tiger 1 Tank in the world....
Hopefully once the boys at ft benning machine shop finish the restoration on our tiger tank that we just got back from Germany in the last couple years, we will have the 2nd running original tiger as it is complete with engine.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
George, its even better seeing the columns stretching for miles in all directions as an entire front advances.

The Hetzers and Stug IIIs are tight. The Hetzer you have to climb around the gun to get into position, not meant for large or normal sized American guys. Loader has zero clearance, right on gun so tight.

Ih, and the squeeking sound of German armor as she moves

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Nice pictures, thanks. Wanna drive a tank? This year on September 24/25 -- http://www.vmmv.org/ -- you can get the chance. I drove one of these during the GCA (Garand Collectors Association)
National Convention

This guy (Allan Coors) lives near me. Pictures of some of his toys are at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ished--Americans-visit-year-museum-built.html

Carry On!
Gary
><>
Gary did you attend? I had the best time ever. The open house event exceeded my expectation five fold. Aaron

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Gary did you attend? I had the best time ever. The open house event exceeded my expectation five fold. Aaron
I was there. It was a great show. Nice weather on Saturday. I had my Daughter with me which was great except pushing a wheel chair through those fields. Lots of great tanks! I even sold an Edgewater buffer that day, so I made $200 on the trip! Very good show for anyone in the area!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts