1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks--

Well the weather has finally broke enough for me to get out and test fire my .22 conversion kit for my semi auto M37. The .22LR conversion that never was. I managed to get the gun to fire however it would not fully cycle. The driving spring was too strong and would not permit a full cycle. I will cut off several more loops off of the drive spring and try again. Even though the M37 is like a a M1919A4 on steriods. The conversion kit follows the M5 .22 kit more closely than the M4 kit. I used the front half the M4 kit, the barrel assembly and actuation pistol. But the main bolt assembly follows the M5 kit in design due to the dual feed. Right now I am testing the gun in left feed only to get the gun to function properly. When I am successful with the left hand feed I will switch the parts to right feed. I would like to personally thank Rollin and Brian for their help in getting the gun set up for .22LR. I have attached several photos for your enjoyment.

Machine gun Wood Wheel Vehicle

Here's a photo of the left side of semi auto M37 loaded with a partial belt.

Auto part Hardware accessory

Photo of the skeletonized .22LR M37 bolt

Machine Machine tool Fictional character

Photo of the left and right feedway cartridge stops for left and right feed.

Cheers

--fjruple

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2nd Testing Firing of .22LR Semi Auto M37 Browning - Sorry No Pics

Well--

I got out to the range yesterday after shortening the recoil spring to see if I can get the gun to fully cycle. I cut off another two coils to see if it would work. Also tried several different brands of high velocity .22LR. Still would not fully cycle with the High Velocity Federal GameShock. Than tried CCI MiniMags same thing, the gun would still not fully cycle. Next I used some Agulia High Velocity, that ammo turned out to be the worst. Lastly I used some Winchester Super-X Hyper Velocity HPs, the gun ran like raped ape, not one misfiring out of one hundred rounds. I am off to the gunshop to buy 200 rounds. Next test firing I will change the gun to a right hand feed to see if I get better performance. I promise some pictures on the next testfiring.

--fjruple

PS-- I wish everyone a nice Memorial Day. There is not a day that goes by that I do not think of my comrade and dear friend, Major Anthony Sherman, who died on active duty while serving me on August 27, 2003.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Looks like you found the magic food for the beast. Would be interesting to find out what the ballistics of the Winchester ammo are as compared to the other stuff you tried. Maybe it is just that much hotter. In any case, congratulations on a successful test, and I hope for the same good results in right hand feed. Well done, Sir! :cool:

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3rd Test Firing of .22LR semi Auto M37 with Right side Feed

Well folks--

This weekend provided another opportunity to test fire my .22LR conversion of my semi-auto M37 Browning. I changed the gun to a right handed feed for this test firing. The results were the same as before. The gun functioned flawlessly with the Winchester Hyper Velocity Ammo and I had about a 50% failure to cycle with CCI MiniMags and Federal Gameshock High Velocity ammunition. I am going to remove several coils off the drive spring and see what happens. I would like to get to run on the Federal Gameshock ammunition as I have several cases of that ammo. I have attached several pics for your enjoyment. Sorry no videos. I was the only one at the range and I could not get anyone to video tape me testfiring the gun.

Cheers

fjruple

Gun Machine gun Airsoft Airsoft gun Shooting

Gun Machine gun Firearm Airsoft Airsoft gun

Gun Machine gun Shooting Shooting sport Airsoft gun

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Nice job fjruple thanks for the updates :thumbup: keep us posted on the next tests. Someday I am going to get around to playing with mine.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for your interest. I wish cutting the drive spring to 10.5 inches was that easy to solve my problem. Unfortunately the M37 uses a double twisted wire spring of a smaller diameter which a captive spring in a drive spring spring assembly. I have to keep cutting out coils until I get it right.

Cheers

--fjruple

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4th Test Firing of .22LR Conversion Kit for Semi Auto M37 Success!!

Well folks I got out to the range again yesterday to conduct another test firing of my .22LR Kit for my semi-auto M37 in right hand feed. If you remember from the last test firing the gun ran flawlessly with the Winchester Hyper-velocity .22LRs (1400ft per second) but still failed to cycle with .22LR Federal Gameshock (1200ft per second) which I had several cases of. The goal was to get the gun to run on the Federal Gameshock .22LR ammunition. I cut another two coils off the drive rod spring and did some minor polishing of the bolt on several high wear spots. The gun ran flawlessly on the Federal Gameshock ammo!! Next I am going to convert the gun back to left hand feed and check to make sure the gun runs flawlessly from the left. I have attached several addition pics of the gun test.

Cheers

--fjruple

Gun Machine Airsoft Airsoft gun Shooting sport

Gun Rifle Machine gun Firearm Airsoft

Gun Machine gun Machine Airsoft gun Airsoft

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Final Test Firing of Semi Auto .22LR M37 Conversion Kit

Happy Independence Day!!

Yesterday I got out for the final testing of my .22LR M37 Conversion Kit. If you remember from my last post, I got the gun to function flawlessly in righthanded feed with the .22LR High Velocity Gameshock ammo. I converted the gun to left handed feed to ensure it worked flawlessly from the left side. The gun ran 550 rounds flawlessly with two malfunctions of the cartridge holders failing to fully seat in the bolt's T-slot. (The spring on the extractor hook may still be too strong). I will clean up the gun and put it back into .30-06 configuration. I would like to again thank Brian and Rollin for their help in getting this one-off project working. I have attached several pics of the test firing for your enjoyment. This time I had the gun set up on a M1917A1 Tripod and mount.

Cheers

--fjruple

Auto part Vehicle

Machine Wood

Gun Machine gun Machine Airsoft gun

Gun Machine gun Machine

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Great job Frank and thanks for keeping us updated on the project. Glad to hear it is running great :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts