1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks I have been trying to find time to finish this for a while but rarely get time to do my own projects but it is officially complete. The T13 is on page 340 in Dolf's volume one of the Browning's and is a very cool gun it is too bad they never developed it but it is a great read for the addicts like us. These were built from converted WWI Westinghouse 1917's and the work was done at RIA of course and they only made a handful for testing. I have all WWI Westy internals polished in the white and the conversion parts are all RIA marked and took some time to acquire :rolleyes: This is where the idiot gene shows up lol early RIA MP (modified Part) bottom plates are tough to find in good shape. The early transitional top cover pivot which are very hard to find was a gift from Greaser and the cap from Lucky13 which was the finishing touch so thanks for the parts guys. They had the WWI back plate with safety and the large one piece aluminum grip which I have but did not photograph and I also made the set of spades because it just looks right. The walnut handles were a gift from the guy who made my spade grip handles and the pictures do not do them justice! They are highly figured and 3 dimensional in the sunlight so they had to go on a very special build and this was it. Anyways I hope you enjoy the pictures and for those of you doing odd builds never give up getting all the correct parts because the end result is certainly worth it. Russ

DSCN3077.jpg
DSCN3078.jpg DSCN3079.jpg DSCN3081.jpg DSCN3080.jpg DSCN3082.jpg DSCN3083.jpg DSCN3084.jpg DSCN3085.jpg DSCN3086.jpg DSCN3087.jpg DSCN3088.jpg DSCN3089.jpg

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
WOW Russ! That truly is a RARE thing of beauty! I am amazed but knowing you I am not surprised how nice it turned out. Congrats.

Mike--Mustangman7

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Nice work Russ.

What was the purpose of this version of the 30BMG? It appears that the "barrel support" is attached to the trunion in the same fashion that the barrel jacket is on a 1919a4, so does it actually support/touch the barrel? How did the gun recoil and thus operate without the benefit of a booster, despite the heavy barrel?

Very interesting build!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Damn nice build. Looks more like an M2HB than the 1919A4 with that short shroud, heavy barrel, and spades. Very Nice, and those wooden handle grips are absolutely beautiful!

Frank in GA.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
That turned out great! I especially like that you went with internals in the white, I think that makes it pop a little more. I cant wait to see it in person and "borrow" those spade grips either, nice job on the wood :handclap:

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words guys but over 100 views and only 6 posts? The board really is slow these days. Mr. Maim the barrel support was intended to be that of a 50 cal (Big brother) and the gun was designed to be the original quick change barrel to solve the issue of having to pull all the guts out so guys change the barrel much quicker in action, like 16 seconds as opposed to pulling all the internals which took considerably longer. It was also the only Browning ever designed to have a two stage trigger both semi and FA which was shot down immediately because the powers that be determined that any proficient gunner was capable of doing single shots out of a FA gun. I know this one is WAY of the grid for most builders but at the end of the day most here know I like the rare and unobtainium stuff so...…

·
Registered
112 Posts
That is absolutely beautiful! The finishes look great like that. That is some top notch restoration and a treat to see....thanks for sharing!!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,034 Posts
This was a development model that went- like so many- absolutely nowhere. The drawings date from 1939-1940, and we didn't have everything. The jacket and bearing are drawings we did have, but the barrel had to be made based on photos and to match the bearing and jacket specs. Only a few of sets of the front ends were made, at the behest of Rick at BMG Parts co, with drawings I had obtained. These are still on his website, though he is sold out. The jacket, bearing and barrel were done by Craig at Ordnance Research, who put in some time making sure everything worked. There are only a couple of these complete guns that have been built, there being no more of the parts available. Heck, I didn't even take a set. But I did build one T-13 receiver, some years before the front end parts were made, and that gun is now complete, in the customer's hands.

The Bolt Latch and Rear Sight Mount patterns for the Swiss Cheese effect were simply copied from the pics in Dolf's book, which Russ mentioned at the top. He did his the same way I did, just matching the images. As always, he did a magnificent job on this. The spade grip really does look good on the piece too, like it belongs there. And the wood is spectacular!

I believe what they were trying to accomplish was a couple of things, as Russ stated. The select fire trigger was terribly complex, and you can see a pic in Dolf's book. They wanted to be able to swap barrels from the front, without a full field strip, a feature realized on the 1919A6, later on. It also reduced weight, versus the new A4 standard that was just being adopted at the time. While we don't know for sure, it is likely the overall design simply didn't perform to requirements. I don't know how the cyclic rate and belt lift factors were. The later A6 began with no booster, and had belt lift issues which led to the clip-on booster being added. There are some pages of discussion of this in the OCM notes of the time, and I scoured those for drawing numbers when I was looking to obtain all I could, some years back. I don't recall any specific conclusions, though there is probably something in there.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,034 Posts
Hmm. Just noticed something is missing. Yep. Russ, you need one of these: ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the kind words guys and no I have not fired it but plan on doing so after I get back from Texas next week. It is head spaced and ready to roll so I figure I should at least try it once lol

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I touched it. I wanted to look inside but no way was I touching any latch or top cover. So Russ did it. Really cool piece and of course looks like a baby 50. As with all tooly masterpieces it belongs in a museum.

My museum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Russ, as always, you never cease to amaze me with your builds. Not to mention your ability to find the required parts to build such rare items such as this one. Keep up the hard work in finding and restoring these rare beauties:urtheman:.

·
5,467 Posts
Beautiful recreation of a weapon that likely exists only in pictures

1 - 20 of 53 Posts