1919 A4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Just some random thoughts:

The gun looks great!

Every time i want to post a picture of my Tank Gun/1919a2 replica I see a post like this and decide it's not ready for prime time.

Rollin, you had to go and post a picture of the RIA MP belt feed lever...

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,205 Posts

The gun looks great!

Every time i want to post a picture of my Tank Gun/1919a2 replica I see a post like this and decide it's not ready for prime time.

Sorry! Well, the funny thing is, while I have an MP marked lever that has a -3 revision with the drawing number, the one in the pics were sent to me but I could not remember who from. They were just in my markings reference folder.

But you should post your A2 sometime soon. I am sure everyone would love to see it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've looked at those pics about 18 times, damn fine work. How did you get the finishes on everything so nice and consistent? Did you bead blast them all with some really fine media? It just looks so damned exceptional! Even the white lettering, that looks awesome too.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well I have the correct MP feed arm and am trying to decide if it should go in the T13 or the first model RIA 1919A4 I am doing that us blued which is more than likely going to be where it ends up. I have all the correct marked parts including the first pattern bottom plate of which Lucky13 and I have only seen two of and yes we have them :D. The finish was done by hand and after I do all the rivets it is hand work from there with files and emory cloth and time. It is surely not the quickest way to build one but I am not concerned with speed as much as I am quality and final appearance. Like Frank Lloyd Wright said "God is in the details" and I have always felt if you are going to build then build the best and while I am not up tp Lucky13's level after doing the Calvary gun and a few others like the BA's and this one I am gaining.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

The gun looks great!

You should certainly post pictures of your gun up for the guys to see and just so you know the pictures of that feed arm are mine lol which Lucky had forgotten about. It is the only one we have ever seen that is cut on the end like and any MP marked RIA feed arm are pretty much unobtanium but keep looking at every one you see because you never know!

·
Registered
125 Posts

The gun looks great!

I do know that feeling of "not ready", but you can be assured all of us on here appreciate seeing these old girls in any condition!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I have the correct MP feed arm and am trying to decide if it should go in the T13 or the first model RIA 1919A4 I am doing that us blued which is more than likely going to be where it ends up. I have all the correct marked parts including the first pattern bottom plate of which Lucky13 and I have only seen two of and yes we have them :D. The finish was done by hand and after I do all the rivets it is hand work from there with files and emory cloth and time. It is surely not the quickest way to build one but I am not concerned with speed as much as I am quality and final appearance. Like Frank Lloyd Wright said "God is in the details" and I have always felt if you are going to build then build the best and while I am not up tp Lucky13's level after doing the Calvary gun and a few others like the BA's and this one I am gaining.

She looks so good like that in the white it makes me want to strip my M37 down to emulate that finish. Are some hard chromed parts present there, or is it just the finish that makes them appear that way?

·
Registered
901 Posts
You should certainly post pictures of your gun up for the guys to see and just so you know the pictures of that feed arm are mine lol which Lucky had forgotten about. It is the only one we have ever seen that is cut on the end like and any MP marked RIA feed arm are pretty much unobtanium but keep looking at every one you see because you never know!
Someday I will, it has a lots of Your and Rollins excellent work in it. Maybe after i find the unabtainium barrel and bearing for it. The standard lock ring bearing just doesn't look right.

I can't talk about keeping track of parts either, I still have to send Rollin the 1918 aircraft plate i have in the basement. Call me the procrastination king...

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
It is Pre/early WWII zinc Parkerizing so no hard chroming here but the internals are WWI in the white which I will pull out and post some pictures of here for those who may care. The in the white internals are getting harder to find but thankfully I stocked up for all my projects years ago.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It is Pre/early WWII zinc Parkerizing so no hard chroming here but the internals are WWI in the white which I will pull out and post some pictures of here for those who may care. The in the white internals are getting harder to find but thankfully I stocked up for all my projects years ago.
Any pics you are willing to share would be great! That is precisely one of the reasons I am here, to see and learn about these fine old firearms! As a Canadian I am terribly envious of some these super cool old MG's that are prohibited here. However....I would likely have spent a lot of dough by now, should they have been available...lol.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks Rory but I guess I lied because I still have not shot it lol

Reactions: Rory

·
11,532 Posts
just referenced in the cali build and i forgot about it again.

what are the chances that the basics of this be made available to those of us who like the look. support/shroud and barrel

and maybe youll get around to making those spades again.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,205 Posts

what are the chances that the basics of this be made available to those of us who like the look. support/shroud and barrel

Rory, see my response on the California thread. The T-13 parts you referred to were purchased by Russ, and I posted the history of them here:

Reactions: Rory

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

I am not sure it would be useful Rory because at the rate they are re writing the laws they will find a way to ban everything eventually.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Just noticed this thread.
Great work Russ. About 10 to 12 years ago at least I bought something similar to the T13 shroud and barrel profile from another board member in AZ I believe.
I never knew the history behind the design or that it had been copied from anything in existence before .
I got several barrels (2) .308 and (2) reamed out for 8mm along with (1) modified barrel shroud / barrel support .
It basically is just a cut down barrel shroud with a bronze/ brass bushing on the front end and the barrels have been shortened and then profiled similar to the M2 barrel .
I actually only shot it in .308 .
I'm working on a project that will eventually require me to make or have (3) more shrouds and several more barrels made for my contraption.
I do like the look of your barrel support / shroud better.
Maybe you should think about making a batch using Rory's money, then make a few extra for all us peons .😁

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Didn't TNW do a version of this like 12 years ago?

I think they had a kit with the shroud, barrel refit. If I remember right the barrel is turned down to around a 1" dia. Should be enough recoil pulse to cycle the action.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 62 Posts