1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got another thread running about an Izzy clone FAL of mine that will NOT shoot straight. The gun groups amazingly well, but point of impact is almost 10 inches to the right at 50 yards. I have to almost max the windage out to get it on paper. So, Ive found some new facts and decided to make an updated post.

Background: Brazilian kit on a DSA receiver with a few Izzy parts. Ive checked timing, everyting looks good. A very trusted member on this forum even ran a M-14 match grade BBL straightness gauge thru the gun. (the gauge seemed to hang up the first time and fell thru, and fell clean thru the second time. There was no damning evidence, but we thought we may have detected a slight bend...but not enough to cause this king of POI error) Ive been staring at it for 2 days now and finally noticed THIS:

The lower receiver is canted to the right of the upper receiver, (which would be why all my shots are hitting far right)
What in hades would cause this? If the upper receiver was THIS bent, I doubt the bolt would even cycle. All I can figure is either the take down pin hole on the upper (or lower) is machined incorrectly, or the lower is bent. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I think your on to something.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
That can certainly your problem Scott but hard to say what is going on without seeing it. Have you checked the hole locations with calipers?

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Abominog is the FAL expert here and I defer to him but it has been known for FAL lower receivers to be bent. If the lower were bent that much, I'd be surprised that the upper and lower would close. Be aware that there was a period when DSA produced some less than acceptable quality receivers.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Any idea how old this build is? DSA receivers are not known for being the best ever made and there was an especially bad run sometime back…12+ years ago, maybe a little more…that were that were completely screwed up in various ways.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any idea how old this build is? DSA receivers are not known for being the best ever made and there was an especially bad run sometime back…12+ years ago, maybe a little more…that were that were completely screwed up in various ways.
The DSA Receiver is less than 1 year old. The upper and lower close with some minor resistance, but the gun was freshly parkerized and is still breaking in so I didnt pay much attention to it. I looked at the lower last night and didnt see any visible bends or warping but I really feel like thats the source of my problems. I may have to use some percussive management techniques on the lower. I dread the thought of replacing it as these parts aren't cheap anymore and its parked to match the rest of the gun. But at least Ive found something that looks like it could be the cause, as this project has been testing the limits of my problem solving and diagnostic skills.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Have you tried to swap Lowers with one from another rifle? Stripped Lowers are still available for under $100.00.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I can think of three machining operations/ surfaces on the FAL upper that could result in misaligned sights. DSA QC has gotten better than say five years ago, but it's still hit or miss.

Again, the basic question is if the sights are aligned, and if aligned with the bore. You'd also see if the lower is aligned, if the recoil tube is bent, etc. If it's not straight, where? A laser, or even piece of string, would indicate gross error.

As far as being offset/ bent and operating: the rails could be aligned with the barrel, and the bolt carrier only recoils enough to pass the ejection port, so yes, it certainly could operate. It may not line up with the barrel, but do so enough to fire and extract, with the caveat that it's also possible then the bolt isn't aligned with the locking shoulder which could be dangerous.

Lowes and HD sell lasers for like $40 that will throw a nice line and show you what's straight. Believe me, they beat the Mark I eyeball and string.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
This will cost but if you are really stumped, send it to T. Mark Graham (Gunplumber) at Arizona Response Systems.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
yeah, if everything else is good, it shoots, ejecting, no jams etc..etc... etc.... I would just put a optic on it and put a period at the end of it

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, theres all sorts of weirdness going on here. Tonight I put a known good South African lower on the DSA bbl'd upper. Everything looked good: (DSA upper with known good lower)

So just to prove the lower is funked, I put it on an Imbel receiver build: (Imbel receiver with suspect lower)

Wait.....that doesnt look that bad....????

So I mated the DSA back again to the suspect lower and it just doesnt want to work together. Every time I go to close it, the upper shifts to the left. (which would mean the lower, and rear sight are shifted right, hence the gun shooting far right...) You can literally feel it bind and pop to the left. Despite looking for 2 hours, I cannot see where its binding. The impatient part of me just wants to order another lower but they have become scarce and Im trying to do this build on a budget.

Abominog....Ill be sending you a PM.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Scott I am happy to meet you halfway and take a peek at it or you are always welcome to come to the shop I have a lot of various BFH's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts