1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Anyone heard how Dolf is doing ? I have not talked to him in a while. I would love to see an updated version of the Vickers book. I have all my "Dolf" books signed by him. I still remember getting the Vickers book from him at KCR many years ago (too many actually) - had him sign it right then. Started a long conversation, which has resulted in a lot of incredible information and friendship. Had him check out the 1917A1 Browning I ended up buying. Remember - if you need one of his books that he makes his money selling them himself. I thinks Rick at BMG parts still has some of the Browning series. Still some of the best money spent if you are into machineguns. If anyone gets an update from him, please post it.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
At present Dolf is undergoing a fairly long series of radiation treatments for prostate cancer that has been in remission but is back again. Needless to say this is very uncomfortable and tiring, but has to be done to try and knock back the disease. At his age the growth of the cancer is slow, but it can continue to slowly grow.
He was just at Knob Creek and said that it was a worthwhile trip and the radiation sessions began when he returned to Marana afterwards.
His new e-mail is: [email protected]
His phone number has not changed.
I communicate with him quite often just to keep in touch, help to keep him conected and try to help keep his spirits up.
He likes to hear from people.....

Bob Naess

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Thanks for keeping in touch with Dolf, Bob, from all of us who like and respect Dolf. I too have met him several times personally, but I doubt he'd remember me from the man in the moon, or I'd call too. I have some of his personally autographed books.

OldSoldier: http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...ducts_id=38808 shows for me me "Blank Page."

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
742 Posts
I emailed Dolf about four years ago when I was getting my semi auto Vickers kit together (financial issues have since forced me to sell it) asking him if the book was going to be republished and he responded, if I remember correctly, that the publication rights were owned by the press that published it and that they had no interest in republishing the book at that time. I'm just glad that I hung onto my second copy of Dolf's wonderful Maxim book when I had to sell my MMC 1910 Maxim. I would really like to see one of the 37mm Maxim 'Pom Pom' guns in action!

Hang in there Dolf!

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
I'm waiting for a reissue, or for one a bit lower in price. I'm not hopefully on either account.
There will not be a reissue but there is one on Epay right now for 200.00 iirc let me know if you can't find it and I will post a link. Russ

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I emailed Dolf about four years ago when I was getting my semi auto Vickers kit together (financial issues have since forced me to sell it) asking him if the book was going to be republished and he responded, if I remember correctly, that the publication rights were owned by the press that published it and that they had no interest in republishing the book at that time. I'm just glad that I hung onto my second copy of Dolf's wonderful Maxim book when I had to sell my MMC 1910 Maxim. I would really like to see one of the 37mm Maxim 'Pom Pom' guns in action!

Hang in there Dolf!
Information is from conversations with Dolf and a representative of the company who will eventually print the new version.

The book was originally printed on metal plates which no longer exist, the only way that the publishing company could reprint it is by copying one of the books. This process would be difficult and would degrade the photo quality of the book.

A new version of the Vickers book is suppose to be coming out either late this year or early next year from a different publisher.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts