1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I saw an epic movie circa 1965, I can't believe I have never seen before. Its streaming on Netfix if you want to see it. Its called " Von Ryan's Express. " About 1.36 hour mark is a Very brief scene showing a Schwarzlose machine on a tripod which I happened to notice it looked like a Breda M37 tripod that may have been a modified prop for the movie. The crew picks up the Schwarzlose and runs with it.
I know I have a fedish for tripods but also always interested in tripod modification to adapt it for another platform.

Well I thought that was interesting enough to warrant a little background check and in fact found that the Schwarzlose tripod does look very similar. Actually, I've never seen one on a tripod before. IMI has good pics of one in you are interested. The movie tripod is an actual Schwarzlose tripod so I learned something new.

Could the Italian M37 And Schwarzlose tripods been manufactured at the same factories? Not only do they look similar in design. They are both using some of the same parts. I would bet you could even swap the legs extensions. I noticed the clamp keys knobs are even the same.
Take a gander and enjoy a great movie.
reguards, Aaron

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It is a good movie and I recall the Schwarzlose scene but not in much detail. It is always a treat to see really unusual MGs in the movies and there are many examples.
Although the Breda and Schwarzlose tripods appear similar at a glance, and they do have some design similarities, they are really very, very different in all details. There are no interchangeable parts.
The Schwarzlose tripod has been adapted to at least a couple other types of MGs, from pictures that I have seen, but the front mount and T+E design are exclusive to the 07/12 types.
The issue M37 tripods have an ID plate identifying the Breda factory as the manufacturer, with date and serial number stamped into them. I have examples of both these guns and tripods, which are live, C+R MGs for reference.
FWIW

Bob Naess

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Bob,
Why is it those little Schwarzlose pintals never fit the tripods until they are "massaged" a wee bit?
I have noticed this on more than a few.
CaptMax

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob, thank you for the background info on the mounts. Nothing helps comparing them better than having them in person. Now that you mention it my Breda mount is missing the nameplate. Anybody have a spare??

I sure would like to see a few of those pics of mount conversions of both if you can dig them up. That would be a treat.
Aaron

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
i got bored and watched this last night.

decent movie, the movies of this period the italians always make you think benny hill music is going to start playing.

the Schwarzlose tripod was correct.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
>Why is it those little Schwarzlose pintals never fit the tripods until they are "massaged" a wee bit?
I have noticed this on more than a few.<

I don't know. Maybe different shops made the pintles from prints, but without the sockets to fit them? Could be a lot of reasons.
Having had a lot of tripods and guns, both kits and registered guns, it has always been a necessary project to find and fit a pintle that fits right, to the tripods especially on live guns.
We should all have such urgent problems!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Was watching Von Ryan's Express today and saw this Schwarzlose in the background.
Funny you can see a movie several times and keep noticeing new things everytime.
CaptMax

1 - 9 of 9 Posts