1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the latest telling of that history on the 4th of July.
I always have an eye on the weapons, and the historical details that I know.
I was enjoying the air to air combat with the Dauntless observers, when the rate of fire struck me as slow.
Sure enough, checked the still shots on the web, they had twin 1919's!
I guess the "gun wranglers" couldn't source 2 of the proper Browning A/N-M2 .30 cals.
As much as those featured in the film, I would have thought the correct guns would have been used.

Richard

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
A few weeks ago I watched a movie called (A fistful of dynamite)....I was set in 1914 , yet one of the main guns featured a couple of times in the movie was an MG42.....I thought the movie was good...Watched the whole thing...That is rare for me.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,081 Posts
Richard, I noticed the 1919s in the trailer, when the film came out. I asked a certain person I know who has connections, and he knew which company had done some of the armorer duties. I know that particular shop has some ANM2 stuff, but the story is they were not asked to cover the Dauntless hardware. Not their fault. So someone in the production either didn't know and didn't ask, or they just didn't care. Kind of sad, actually. It could have been done right with just a little more effort.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richard, I noticed the 1919s in the trailer, when the film came out. I asked a certain person I know who has connections, and he knew which company had done some of the armorer duties. I know that particular shop has some ANM2 stuff, but the story is they were not asked to cover the Dauntless hardware. Not their fault. So someone in the production either didn't know and didn't ask, or they just didn't care. Kind of sad, actually. It could have been done right with just a little more effort.
Thank you for that info.
I think that was my source of disappointment, to go thru all the effort in other area's and stop short on THAT detail.

Richard

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Good catch Richard I saw that as well and Lucky13 and I were at one of the prop houses and know for a fact they have ANM2's and we were both annoyed at the fact they missed that detail but as he said they were never asked. They did such a nice job on that movie and while most would never catch that detail we certainly did. I am still trying to figure out who made that call so I can yell at them lol

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
At least they didn't paint meatballs on T6s and call them Zeros. As a kid I was always mortified at Shermans with Iron Crosses in movies.

Would you believe they now actually make a scale model T6 faux Zero?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
There are several instances where the Germans actually used Sherman's and painted iron crosses on 'em. Go figure...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Somewhere I have a picture (Taken from above) of a US Infantry unit on the move in Germany.
A good portion of their transport was repurposed from the Wehrmacht!
Its a case of whoever holds the ground when the battle is over gets to take the "spoils of war">

Richard

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I was enjoying the air to air combat with the Dauntless observers, when the rate of fire struck me as slow.
Sure enough, checked the still shots on the web, they had twin 1919's!
I guess the "gun wranglers" couldn't source 2 of the proper Browning A/N-M2 .30 cals.
As much as those featured in the film, I would have thought the correct guns would have been used.
Haha, I actually noticed that last night. I guess its harder to get them to cycle that fast with blanks???

Frankly I thought this was maybe one of the best war movies ever, certainly the best in a long time IMO. I have heard a lot of people disagree and liked 1917. To me 1917 was just ok, but I really enjoyed Midway. It was certainly much better than the old Midway movie.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You guys must be a BLAST to watch all those old 60's war movies with. You know, the ones where the German tanks are M26 Pershings painted grey. Every night scene shows shadows (they just filmed in the day and put up a dark lens over the camera and spoke softly. My favorite old war movie effect, the 'machine gun' noise. ALL, each and every one of them, every war movie of the era uses that same canned machine gun sound with the ricochet at the end!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Haha, I actually noticed that last night. I guess its harder to get them to cycle that fast with blanks???

Frankly I thought this was maybe one of the best war movies ever, certainly the best in a long time IMO. I have heard a lot of people disagree and liked 1917. To me 1917 was just ok, but I really enjoyed Midway. It was certainly much better than the old Midway movie.
I wondered why I saw no Vickers in 1917

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Maybe we were being too picky but what the hell at least we know what we are looking at.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe we were being too picky but what the hell at least we know what we are looking at.
I wish more of the writers knew what they were putting into the script!

Richard

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I wondered why I saw no Vickers in 1917
I noticed that too. Not one MG of any kind in the whole movie! How do you do a WWI movie without a MG. None which is pretty disappointing. Other than blown up tanks, none of them either.

They managed a plot line where retreating Germans kill all the cow but not before milking one and leaving milk out for the allies (with a single fly on it)... so their soldier could fill his canteen with milk (I never heard of filling canteens with milk) and carry it until of course he finds a good baby (ie non German) and he can take a break from him no-stop mission to feed the baby that happens to be in the middle of a war zone. I think there was actually a lot more to dislike in 1917. The German pilot was a pretty annoying seen. Sure the pilot had a bayonet (long ass one) and was so thankful for being pulled from his burning plane that he stabs the guy who saved him and was trying to give him aid. They did some cool filming for sure but I did not care for much of the story line.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
I started to stream a movie some time ago - WWII, European theater. Less than 10 minutes in I noticed the GIs were carrying Enfield No4Mk1s. I stopped the movie, and watched something else. Sometimes having a clue can take all the fun out of things. I recently watched a Russian made movie involving armor engagements. They used several actual T-34/76 and T-34/85 tanks, and a real KV-1. The small arms were all correct too. The depicted PzKW-IVs obviously weren't real (4 large bogey wheels vs 8 small), but they mocked up accurate turrets and hull fronts, and hung the correct side plates to cover up the running gear. I definitely give them credit for trying.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
I watched Midway again last night, but this time on a large screen. Yep, there they are, complete with flip up front sight and rear sight bracket clearly visible. This is really surprising because in other parts of the movie they showed a crew firing a water cooled .50 BMG, and even shipboard 1.1"/70 quad AA guns in action. The quad 1.1" may have been restored footage, but the .50 BMG appeared to have been shot for the movie. Mixed effort.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts