1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1919a4 arrived at my FFL dealer yesterday and I went in today to complete the paperwork and start my 10-day wait.. I inspected the gun as closely as possible given my ?virgin? knowledge of this firearm? It?s an ?Ohio rapid-fire? and was impeccably finished (parkerized) with no discolorations or flaws. The adjustment of the rear sight could best be described as ?crunchy? as I think they parked the whole thing as a unit..(I could be wrong). But after a little ?fooling around? I got it to run up & down a few clicks without undue pressure. I will wait until the gun is in my ?completely? in my possession to flush abrasive particles that seem to be present in the assembly.. I did note that here were NO external welds ? as I have heard others might have. The gun looks GREAT! I can also say that the action cycles MUCH smoother and easier that I had expected. In fact it was EASY to cycle! Trigger pull on a ?dry-fire? (hope that?s OK) was a bit heavy but not as bad as many say it is?.(guess mine is ?middle of the road??)

The only ?issue? I noted is that we could not pull back the feed cover (by hand) and needed to use a brass mallet and rag to ?bop? it to the open position. It also required some mallet taps to close the feed cover ? but my assumption is that this loosens up over time and firing??? Any input on this issue would be welcomed..

Anyways I got the paperwork in and am ?serving my 10 days? and hope to have a range report soon there after. Does anyone know if these guns put out an appreciable ?muzzle flash? ? ie: FLAME ? I live in a state that is very dry during summer and I?ve got plenty of tall grass near and on my personal range. I ALWAYS keep SEVERAL fire extinguishers on hand but ?too many is never enough? IMHO..

Any reports on potential muzzle flash would be MOST appreciated!!! God knows I don?t need to start a fire!

Anyways the gun arrived in superb condition (from what I could see) but my ?free" shooting glasses took a beating ? so I?m damn glad they were a ?throw ?in?.

I also received a copy of the ?basic field manual for 1919a4 HB MG? ? which I promptly covered (the title) with a ?post-it? since I work in an ?office setting? and previewed during my break periods.

I?m going to order the ?trunion protector? and ?A6? kit and some links to test it out with ? so I?m still a couple weeks from the ?firing-line? as it is..

What say? Any input is WELCOME, thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have to to use two hands to pull back on the top cover latch. But it closes really easy. I just have to push lightly on it. Make sure when you close it that the prawl lever is lined up with the groove in the bolt. These things thorw one heck of a flame. I was just out this weekend in tall grass so I layed a blanket down in front of my my tripod and I burned a hole in my blanket. :eek: I poured several gallons of water around the area before I left to make sure it was ok.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
041x said:
I have to to use two hands to pull back on the top cover latch. But it closes really easy. I just have to push lightly on it. Make sure when you close it that the prawl lever is lined up with the groove in the bolt. These things thorw one heck of a flame. I was just out this weekend in tall grass so I layed a blanket down in front of my my tripod and I burned a hole in my blanket. :eek: I poured several gallons of water around the area before I left to make sure it was ok.
THANK YOU - on both the top cover info and muzzel flash! The top cover is a ***** to open and I have NO idea what kind of fire comes out the of the end... I shoot an M1A off of a table-top rest (and have only scorched the table top). Your advice is greatly appreciated and valued - because I sure don't need to start a "wild-fire" by shooting a new gun!

I have an M2 tripod and was worried that it's too close to the ground for safe firing during the summer months. My M1A blows up dirt firing off-hand while standing!!:eek:

Maybe I'll burn some vacation for a RENO trip - since dirt doesn't burn real good! And stock my storage unit while I'm there! :D

·
Registered
886 Posts
My ORF sounds very much like yours,,,top cover tight,will prob get better with use,I just tap it with a small block of wood. Sight had grit in it,just sprayed WD-40 in it. Since Im on the back end :D I dont /cant say much about flash. Im sure it does but do the best(water on grass sounds like good idea) you can. Found out you will need Izzy links or the skinny cloth belts( I have a G.I. that fits). Mine came with bipod, shoulder stock and cary handle so I can use it on the platforms at range. I got a tripod for displays and shooting, if range says nothing. Some guys are anal,some dont care. One guy was mad because I was shooting too fast,,I asked what my rate should be, he said 1 round a minute,,was worried I would shoot the metal cable holding the target,,,he also said the same when my son fired my Garand even though all 8 rounds here within the black near the center:) .

·
BeltFed GURU
4,323 Posts
Slick
get an A-6 top cover latch it only takes 1 finger to open and the spring plunger in the back makes taking the back plate so easy it is worth the cost of up grade www.BMGparts.com has them
as for the grass problem WEED EATER no more problem

·
Registered
886 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of latches side by side?? Im just wondering how they look.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys!

Sounds like we got have the same quality guns Tommy.. I?m flushing that sight w/WD40 and Militech1 as soon as I get it..

Belt-Fed-Frog, thanks! ? I?ve got that A6 topcover bookmarked in case I can?t get it smoothed out. That?s just the ticket for 10-round belt shooters like me in CA. I?ll be knocking down grass AND using a HEAVY canvas tarp that?s also wet down thoroughly as fire danger is EXTREME.

If I can stand the trip, I?ll just head on up to Nevada so I can shoot uninterrupted belts and enjoy. I?ll sacrifice bleeding fingers and a sore back to make a weekend of it! Sand doesn?t ignite as easily..

Scott ? I?m NOT even going to admit to how many times I ran that video clip! You probably burned fewer rounds of ammo than I did passes on that video? My G/F was like: "that's what you just got?" and I had to explain that CA doesn't have F/A guns and your video was about two whole weekends of blasting for me... She's IS excited about getting to try something bigger than the "poodle-shooters" I let her pop with.

Many Thanks for the input. It is GREATLY appreciated.

All I can say is that Google SUCKS for finding firearm-related resources.. And I hate asking ?newb? question that have probably have been addressed before. Any tips on a better ?search engine? for 1919a4 subjects would probably keep me from asking SO many stupid questions, so let me know of any ?bulk? resources you may know of.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds like you need a concealed handgun permit. I never have to wait to buy a rifle or handgun. It's well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Slick,

The items you write about will smoothe out in time. All are normal for a "new" gun and will work themselves out as you use and lube the gun. A tight top cover latch is a good thing. Your "gritty" sight adjustment will go away as you work with it a while. Use an old canvas tarp in front of and under your gun to prevent any potential muzzle sparks form igniting a fire...also clear away any dry debris from the front.

YOu will get much enjoyment from your new gun, as we all do. Congratulations on your purchase.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Since your in a 10 day wait.. your here with us in CA.

What part of the state? There are a bunch of local 1919 guys. You may want to get one or two together for your first shoot. It's nice haveing a little experience around if things need adjusting.

I'm just north of SanJose. I know of at least three other 1919 guys here relativly close by. In Socal there are several 1919 guys that get together to shoot.

Start ordering as much ammo as you can afford :D

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts
Slick,
If you get the A6 kit, DO NOT install the flash hider! Big no no is Kommiefornialand! I'm in So Kal. LB actually. Quite a few of us in the area. Remember there are no stupid questions, but if you have one (LOL) feel free to e-mail or PM me! Glad to help a new beltfed bro out!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JonesRifleGuards - The CCW is impossible in my urban area, but I plan to apply in Nevada county where my property is, as I have a MUCH better chance there..

fianllygotabeltfed - The heavy canvas tarp wetted down is EXACTLY what I had planned! I'm absolutely going to "play it safe" on potential fire issues.

BigMac - I'm in the Sacramento vicinity and have been picking up cheap ammo here & there whenever I've got a few spare bucks! The 10-round belt limitation will help keep me in check tho.

iRIGHTi - Thanks for the flash hider info! I had the answer on that one from when I bought my M1A, so possession=OK, Installation=jail. At least I can order the kit and just drop the F/H in my Reno storage next time I'm up there.. Too bad I couldn't do the same with a crankfire :( as travel to buy & store it on the same trip is difficult with a blown-out back. It may still work out tho-

I work for the state govt, so I absolutely MUST err on the side of caution. Messing up would wreak havoc on my life, so I tend to ask quite a few questions as this is a new firearm for me.

I greatly appreciate the patience that everyone has for my newb questions as I haven't always been able to find exact answers using the search function. The truth is that 4 months ago I didn't even know the 1919a4 semi's were legal for us CA folks! So I wanted to jump in fast BEFORE they change their (2-brain-celled) minds. NO, I don’t work for state LEG, thank god!

I'm planning on retiring out-of-state (to Nevada) within the next year or so, so if I have to store the 1919a4 with my FAL (due to an unplanned ban), it won't be long till I'll be right by its side again. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am a member of E Clampus Vitus, so I have a vast array of friends up in Nevada near the CA border!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Slick,

This board is where you want to ask your 1919 questions. We were ALL new to the 1919 at some time so don't feel intimidated asking about things.

There is a lot of combined experience here and this is the most likely place to obtain the correct answers to your questions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts